Dedicated vs Private Host?

Tricks

Please be aware of the additional monthly windows fee if you plan on using windows

I had to go back to game hosts as couldn't afford the box plus £50/month for windows

And i'm not knowledged enough fore linux

Damn! that's steep!

FYI you can get away with using the windows datacenter version (or whatever its called... web host version?) and it is much cheaper.

Please be aware of the additional monthly windows fee if you plan on using windows

I had to go back to game hosts as couldn't afford the box plus £50/month for windows

You could also get it for free if you know someone that is a full time student using MS DreamSpark program

You could also get it for free if you know someone that is a full time student using MS DreamSpark program

then we're in colo territory.  Unless your host lets you upload an iso and will do the install for you that way.

Also not exactly legal...  If we go down that road, you could just pirate a copy but I don't want to condone that.

We actually run dedicated on a Win7 box, should do just fine with some decent tuning. Seems to do the job just fine (steady 50 fps untill we reach 15 Players). But then again we have never had a full restart cycle run with 20+ people constant online, so couldnt tell you how it helds its own under real stress.

Most EU hosts charge around €20/pcm for windows licencing, UK hosts will always be more expensive because of the value of the GBP £

PM me if your stuggling to find a host I could recommend some for you.

then we're in colo territory.  Unless your host lets you upload an iso and will do the install for you that way.

Also not exactly legal...  If we go down that road, you could just pirate a copy but I don't want to condone that.

You dont have to colo to install your own OS most hosts give you IPMI with full dedicated servers unless you have a really bad host or VDS/VPS