Calling admins with full servers!

Radiix

Question

Hey guys,

i started this topic for serveradmins that run huge populated servers for sharing some experience with their Servers.

The first thing i want to talk about is -> Lag & Desync

On my dedicated machine we are running one epoch server with 50 slots.

The serverspecs are "not bad" as i'd say, but you be the judge:

CPU Intel Xeon E3-1240v2 (4x 3,4ghz)

RAM: 24GB DDR3 ECC

HDD: 2x 2TB In Raid1 7200rpm

OS Windows Server 2008 Enterprise x64

Link: 1000mBit/s

Well, when we reach alot of players on our server (about 40-45) the server is laging and desyncing the hell out. Its getting unplayable  and it takes like 5 seconds to enter a car (lol on that one). Driving with cars is ridiculous, it looks like someone would drive through buildings and stuff, you call it.

I'd say is not the dedicated box we are running. The cpu load is at about 15-19% on 48 players and i'd like to ask if you guys had made any performance tweaks to the OS, the Epochserver itself or anything else that can eventually increase the gameplay experience.

I mainly made this thread is for guys that have full servers everyday (MGT HALP ME LOL). How the hell do you handle that?

Please share your experience.

21 answers to this question

Hallo,

we have the same problems and we restart every 3 hours.

my system:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1650 (8 x 3200 MHz)

HDD: 2TB SATA2 Raid Edition Serverfestplatte

RAM: 32 GB Uplink:

1000MBit (Up & Down, Unlimited Traffic)

Using any antihack software or custom mods?

55-60 with 10ppl

30-35 with 20ppl

15-20 with 30ppl

15 - 8 with 40+

Lowest was 1FPS (o.O) on 50 Players.

From what I have heard this FPS is about average for most dayz servers regardless of the mod, however hardware plays an important part.

Hallo,

we have the same problems and we restart every 3 hours.

my system:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1650 (8 x 3200 MHz)

HDD: 2TB SATA2 Raid Edition Serverfestplatte

RAM: 32 GB Uplink:

1000MBit (Up & Down, Unlimited Traffic)

Is that dedicated or shared (vps) ? Who are you hosting with ?

We restart after every 2 hours. With 30-40+ People on it's necessary as too many items get moved around in the server for the server to keep up. We've actually seen the effects happen at around 2 1/2 Hour mark with 40 people on the server. With less than 30 people the 3 hour restarts worked fine. 

Radiix,

I've had similar issues, but after alot of trial and error and alot of tweaking we have fixed the problem.

under your basic.cfg add the following changes:

MinBandwidth=104857600;
MaxBandwidth=104857600;
MaxMsgSend=1024;

This should fix your desync issues alot.

Also, 

I have SARGE AI installed on my server and when the server reached about 20 people I didn't have any issues, but soon as it hits around 35 the CPU would spike really bad. I trimmed back the AI to a basic configuration and everything is running smooth again. We do a reboot every 6 hours with no major issues. 

I am still battling just two things. People teleporting out of Helicopters and some times, rare , people spawn as crows, its typically around the 5:30 mark before a reboot. 

I thought I had the telport issue fixed , but i received some reports last night.

DZE_teleport = [2000,2000,500,499,2000];

Radiix I get about the same FPS as you.  Using Nfoserver VPS with 4 cores and SSD for the MySQL.  But, we're hardly a "full" server like MGT.  

We had about 1600 vehicles and things went sideways fast.  2-3 FPS.  Dropped it down to 800 and we're back up in your ranges.  

My basic config looks like this:

language="English";
MaxBandwidth=41943040;
MinErrorToSendNear=0.029999999;
MinErrorToSend=0.003;
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=93750;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
serverLongitude=-122;
serverLatitude=37;
serverLongitudeAuto=-122;
serverLatitudeAuto=37;
Windowed=0;
MaxCustomFileSize=0;

Why the strange Maxbandwidth?  Good question.  That's my actual UPLOAD bandwidth.  Yeah, it's got a 1000mbps link but you don't have that kind of connection unless you're facebook.com or something. So that's my actual up.  It seems to be pretty good. 

The only time I get desync/lag is when a grip of people connect and grab the mission file (which is around 2megs).  I think there are fixes for that, but that's low priority.  Most people are repeat customers.  Tonight was new because of the 1.0.2.2 patch.  

No dynamic debris.

No heli crashes.

No events.

No AI. 

40 slots even though I probably can do more.

I'd rather have the cars and PVP and mad loot table + zombie spawns.  It's more like Left 4 DayZ on our server.  You start with a satchel. :D

CPU has a lot to do with performance, i have tweaked my sql server to the max, and it has not given an FPS boost, I'm talking about putting sql file on RAM drive, fiddling with the my.ini fil,

my server is capped at 30 players right now because of an slow CPU only 2.2Ghz, Cores have nothing to do with server performance sadly, I have 16 cores, but no help there.

my basic.cfg

MinErrorToSendNear=0.029999999;
MinErrorToSend=0.003;
language="English";
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=93750;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
Windowed=0;
serverLongitude=10;
serverLatitude=56;
serverLongitudeAuto=10;
serverLatitudeAuto=56; 

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/27001

Low bandwidth players under 100 or even 150, can cause some dysnc on your server. We manually kick players who are consistently under 100, and it always clears server side desync. Also, you can squeeze some extra serverload FPS by making sure any addons you use dont unnecessarily have public variables spammed all over their code, put enable simulation false in any objects you add to the mission, including the epoch mission file, and keep your ping requirement a bit lower, as suggested above. Also, if you can put your installation on a SSD, and your database on a separate server or SSD, it will help with performance as IOPS really matter for arma. Remember, Arma2 client and server, cannot use more than 2 cores, its the game engine's limitation, so you want to have the fastest CPUs you can afford (try to get 3.4 that turbos to 3.8) and dedicate some cores to the DB if installed on the same box. Lastly, for those using a VM, remember that you are sharing your L2 Cache, and if your CPU can turbo, its shared accross all cores too. The hypervisor will slow down your machine too, depending on how many other clients are on the same VM as you. Dedicated box is the best way to go for dayz, and you can use the boxes other cores to host other things too. Just my 2 cents, hope it helps!