Any good way to optimize a large server?

Storm

Question

Over the past days I have had many players join the server.

I have also reported some users saying the server is laggy and they had 3000 d'sync.

Is it possible that my server isn't optimize to handle 50+ players?

Could I do anything that would at least help with all these players joining?

Here are my current dedicated server specs

a04ac0fe6e.jpg

My basic.cfg

language="English";
Resolution_Bpp=32;
serverLongitude=2;
serverLatitude=49;
serverLongitudeAuto=2;
MinBandwidth=20971520;
MaxBandwidth=1073741824;
MaxMsgSend=256;
MaxSizeGuaranteed=512;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=256;
MinErrorToSendNear=0.029999999;
MinErrorToSend=0.0019999994;
MaxCustomFileSize=0;
Windowed=0;
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1;

start up batch

@echo off
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead\"
start  dayzOver.bat
start "arma2" /min "arma2oaserver.exe" -port=2302 "-config=instance_1_Overpoch\config.cfg" "-cfg=instance_1_Overpoch\basic.cfg" "-profiles=instance_1_Overpoch" -name=instance_1_Overpoch "-mod=@DayZOverwatch;@DayZ_Epoch;@Hive;" -noPause -noSound -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=8 -maxMem=10000
exit

9 answers to this question

Have you looked at memory usage / HDD read & write stats etc. ? Task Manager / Performance monitor will show all of these. Try to identify where the bottle neck is.. 

Also, what addons are you using ? There are some / quite a few / many out there that work but have no consideration as to the impact on server performance and cleaning up their 'mess'.

Have you looked at memory usage / HDD read & write stats etc. ? Task Manager / Performance monitor will show all of these. Try to identify where the bottle neck is.. 

Also, what addons are you using ? There are some / quite a few / many out there that work but have no consideration as to the impact on server performance and cleaning up their 'mess'.

Right now The server is only using about 5GBs of memory out of 32 and only 20% of the cpu.

It's a SSD so there shouldn't be any issue with the read and write stats. i believe it might just be the sql that needs to be optimized better.

Your min and max bandwith are a bit too tight. Your server has more than 50 slots (50+ is known to be behaving weirdly). 
This is my current basic.cfg. It's working for me at, 54 players, 10 second vehicle buy time. Around 6220 Network message errors at around 2 hours in. 

MinBandwidth=1097152;
MaxBandwidth=1073741824;
MinErrorToSendNear=0.069999997;
MinErrorToSend=0.0039999994;
MaxCustomFileSize=0;
Windowed=0;
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
Resolution_W=800;
Resolution_H=600;

Your server specs can easily hold atleast one full server. 

You could try opening the player_login table and emptying that one if it's like 1-2mbs large. 

You generally want to start with the max bandwith a bit further apart from the min bandwith, like start at 0.06 or so and work down. I have noticed that anything above 0.06 on my servers cause huge amounts of birds and lower than 0.03 causes longer buy time and more desync, atleast for me.

Your min and max bandwith are a bit too tight. Your server has more than 50 slots (50+ is known to be behaving weirdly). 

This is my current basic.cfg. It's working for me at, 54 players, 10 second vehicle buy time. Around 6220 Network message errors at around 2 hours in. 

MinBandwidth=1097152;
MaxBandwidth=1073741824;
MinErrorToSend=0.0039999994;
MaxCustomFileSize=0;
Windowed=0;
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
Resolution_W=800;
Resolution_H=600;

Your server specs can easily hold atleast one full server. 

You could try opening the player_login table and emptying that one if it's like 1-2mbs large. 

You generally want to start with the max bandwith a bit further apart from the min bandwith, like start at 0.06 or so and work down. I have noticed that anything above 0.06 on my servers cause huge amounts of birds and lower than 0.03 causes longer buy time and more desync, atleast for me.

I'll try this, thanks.

Defent, the default value for MinErrorToSendNear in Arma 2 OA is 0.01. You noticed any colateral effect for setting it to 0.07?

Thank you!

It caused red chains to appear abit more often but less desync overall and faster respond times on doors opening and such. Setting it above 0.07 also caused the create vehicle 0 restrictions AKA seagulls to happen more frequently.

My current one is 

MinErrorToSendNear=0.039999992;
MinErrorToSend=0.0029999993;

and its been pretty smooth with that.