Roaming AI

Incar

I'm debating adding roaming ai to my server, however I'd rather avoid going through the process of trying each possible one I can find until I find what suits my tastes so I figured I'd ask for public opinion based on what I'd like. What I'd like to add is about half a dozen to a dozen single ai's on foot randomly spawned around the map if possible as appose to amounts and locations being based on players/player count. Having 2 or 3 vehicle patrols to roam the streets would be nice too but it's not a big deal. So based on the experience of others, what scripts do you think would be good to provide such? Sorry if I seem lazy making a topic like this, I've just been reading through so much script and so many threads in regards to multiple features of the game that my head hurts and I'm having a hard time focusing on all the reading now so... I'm coming to you all to help make this a bit easier on me ><

From a players perspective, I love roaming AI in vehicles but not on foot. Why? When they're in a vehicle you first and foremost are warned of their presence by the sound so you have time to find cover / prepare... + since they're confined in a vehicle you have a chance to kill them all together by blowing up the vehicle or killing the pilot... + if they spot you they assess the situation and either dismount or charge you in the vehicle then dismount and surround you... + if you only add foot patrols they won't ever drive unless scripted to do so, but vehicle patrols will eventually become foot patrols.

To me, foot patrols feel like an imitation of bandit players and vehicle patrols feel like the maps military is still somewhat active. So if you consider that the vehicle patrols should probably be military units and foot patrols should be bandits... imo.

I have DZAI installed on my server.  I've got it configured so that Bandit AI (on foot) only spawn in towns, cities and NWA.  I also have 3 heli patrols and 4 ground vehicle patrols.  i've had really good feedback from my players, well, before the bloody 1.63 update that is, now my server is like a ghost town lol... 

Thanks for posting guys. I've decided to go with DZAI, based on what I've read I'm thinking it will be the most effective/customizable choice.

From a players perspective, I love roaming AI in vehicles but not on foot. Why? When they're in a vehicle you first and foremost are warned of their presence by the sound so you have time to find cover / prepare... + since they're confined in a vehicle you have a chance to kill them all together by blowing up the vehicle or killing the pilot... + if they spot you they assess the situation and either dismount or charge you in the vehicle then dismount and surround you... + if you only add foot patrols they won't ever drive unless scripted to do so, but vehicle patrols will eventually become foot patrols.

To me, foot patrols feel like an imitation of bandit players and vehicle patrols feel like the maps military is still somewhat active. So if you consider that the vehicle patrols should probably be military units and foot patrols should be bandits... imo.

I know what you mean, I've been on some servers where it was damn near impossible to stay alive because of the guys on foot spawning to an extent I was ambushed like every 5 minutes. This is why I'm hoping to set them up to spawn solo, encountering 1 AI as appose to 5 should be easier to cope with, plus my server has increased zed rates so players should get some warning by hearing the ai engaging them. One thing I will do is lengthen the spawn times for the ai however, I don't want them to be a major focus on my server, simply wish for them to provide some risk/entertainment during times where player count is low and people aren't encountering one another much. Still need people to be capable of searching for loot and base building with some peace of mind though.

Thanks for posting guys. I've decided to go with DZAI, based on what I've read I'm thinking it will be the most effective/customizable choice.

I know what you mean, I've been on some servers where it was damn near impossible to stay alive because of the guys on foot spawning to an extent I was ambushed like every 5 minutes. This is why I'm hoping to set them up to spawn solo, encountering 1 AI as appose to 5 should be easier to cope with, plus my server has increased zed rates so players should get some warning by hearing the ai engaging them. One thing I will do is lengthen the spawn times for the ai however, I don't want them to be a major focus on my server, simply wish for them to provide some risk/entertainment during times where player count is low and people aren't encountering one another much. Still need people to be capable of searching for loot and base building with some peace of mind though.

I do love to hear / see them engaging the zeds, if zeds are near them its not really fair that we have to fight both off while the AI just stand next to zeds. Plus keeps them firing which makes me the uncertain if they see me or are just suppressing the zeds. Feels more like a firefight when the shooting doesnt stop.

I also like how you'd lessen their chances. Its true we need that peace of mind to make fighting constant battles less frequent so the times we do get into fights are more exciting. I remember the first roaming AI I encountered was a pain, they would always be around so they were irritating, which is what zeds are great at already.

I can say for definite that DZAI does.  Not sure about the others.

thanks! That was quick, happy I said quick question :)

I was just wondering cause my base was surrounded by AI when I had to leave. Made me wonder if they would defend my base for me while I'm not there :)

thanks! That was quick, happy I said quick question :)

I was just wondering cause my base was surrounded by AI when I had to leave. Made me wonder if they would defend my base for me while I'm not there :)

I know a bunch of guys who will camp-protect your base while you're offline, for a fee.. lol ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I am having a problem with DZAI and the AI getting into bases and killing players? Any idea how to stop this?

Also having a lot of trouble keeping them out of safe zones. . .

dynamicSpawn_manager.sqf is scripted to prevent the hunting parties from spawning when players are near plot poles, I know that much. In conjunction with this, you also have setup_trader_areas.sqf where you can list your trader locations for you map (only needs changing if you've customized them like me), and it will spawn plot poles (unseen as far as I know) that will prevent them from spawning when you're near them too. However if people build in locations where static AI spawn, not sure what can be done about that. I've done some modifying to spawn locations for the static ones to remove locations near fresh spawns, but that's about it. To find those locations, look into your init/world_spawn_configs files and spawn_areas.

dynamicSpawn_manager.sqf is scripted to prevent the hunting parties from spawning when players are near plot poles, I know that much. In conjunction with this, you also have setup_trader_areas.sqf where you can list your trader locations for you map (only needs changing if you've customized them like me), and it will spawn plot poles (unseen as far as I know) that will prevent them from spawning when you're near them too. However if people build in locations where static AI spawn, not sure what can be done about that. I've done some modifying to spawn locations for the static ones to remove locations near fresh spawns, but that's about it. To find those locations, look into your init/world_spawn_configs files and spawn_areas.

I have my trader sqf filled with the following for lingor

if (_worldName == "lingor") exitWith {["RaceTrack","RepairGuy","PlaneVendor","Wholesale","HighWeapons/ammo","Parts","Choppers","lowEndCars","LowEndWeapons","HighEndCars","MedicalandBags","Wholesaler","BagsNFood","Wholesalers","DirtTrackVendor","OffRoad4x4","BoatVendor","BoatVendor1","BoatVendor2","BagVendor1","BagVendor2","Doctor2","BanditTrader","HeroTrader"]};

Does nothing as far as the ai camping the safezone and just shooting godmoded players endlessly:/ . .

I have not changed anything inside the dynamic spawn manager however I am using a plotpole script I got from around here somewhere that teleports zeds away from plotpoles. I am having a lot of people complain about minding their own business inside their base and they see an AI inside the locked building shooting at them or killing them. How are they getting through walls? I just switched from sarge AI and they never had this problem, they just stand outside of player bases and never went inside. Thank you for the help BTW!!!

Plot poles only prevent the AI from spawning in or near that location.  

It doesn't stop them from spawning and then following/chasing you to that location.

You can increase the areas around plotpoles AI don't spawn within the files of DZAI can't remember which file but you can check the DZAI forum on opendayz.net im sure it has been posted there before.

http://opendayz.net/forums/DZAI/

Easiest way to get rid of AI is to shoot em in the head ;)

I have my trader sqf filled with the following for lingor

if (_worldName == "lingor") exitWith {["RaceTrack","RepairGuy","PlaneVendor","Wholesale","HighWeapons/ammo","Parts","Choppers","lowEndCars","LowEndWeapons","HighEndCars","MedicalandBags","Wholesaler","BagsNFood","Wholesalers","DirtTrackVendor","OffRoad4x4","BoatVendor","BoatVendor1","BoatVendor2","BagVendor1","BagVendor2","Doctor2","BanditTrader","HeroTrader"]};

Does nothing as far as the ai camping the safezone and just shooting godmoded players endlessly:/ . .

I have not changed anything inside the dynamic spawn manager however I am using a plotpole script I got from around here somewhere that teleports zeds away from plotpoles. I am having a lot of people complain about minding their own business inside their base and they see an AI inside the locked building shooting at them or killing them. How are they getting through walls? I just switched from sarge AI and they never had this problem, they just stand outside of player bases and never went inside. Thank you for the help BTW!!!

Sorry for late reply, didn't notice you had replied.

As Uro said in post above this, it only seems to effect dynamic ai. So if any static spawns are near the merchant areas, they'll still spawn and go after players. The files for Lingor seem to be done differently then with some other maps, I myself use Napf and a lot of the locations are defined in init/world_spawn_configs files and spawn_areas, though it doesn't seem to be such for lingor. My guess is it may be due to size of towns and such, dunno for sure. You'll probably need to define your own spawns within custom_spawns. That's my only thought on it all, sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

As for keeping them from getting into bases, I have no idea how they get through walls, I've seen it happen on mine, but it only happened with me because I had no plot pole on my base, and a dynamic party came after me. Other then that my static spawns are setup to try and reduce these kind of issues unless someone builds directly in a city.

• 11 months later...

Plot poles only prevent the AI from spawning in or near that location.  

It doesn't stop them from spawning and then following/chasing you to that location.

You can increase the areas around plotpoles AI don't spawn within the files of DZAI can't remember which file but you can check the DZAI forum on opendayz.net im sure it has been posted there before.

http://opendayz.net/forums/DZAI/

Easiest way to get rid of AI is to shoot em in the head ;)

Like your comment on shooting them in the head...   If anyone is trying to hide from AI DONT COME TO MY LINGOR SERVER, lol this one is made to hunt on or be hunted.