is there a way to circumvent youtube commercials?

insertcoins

• 2 weeks later...

Adblock is great for stopping popups because they can be viral in a very bad way (even on legit sites), however using adblock on youtube is really messed up. You are effectively removing income from the content owner. It would be like watching TV without ads, the content owner gets no money, and thus has less incentive to make more videos. Some people use youtube as a main source of income and are loosing a huge amount of revenue because of people using these blockers. I understand using it at times to keep yourself safe, but using it because you don't want to wait 20 seconds is not a good excuse for stealing away the ad revenue of the creator. I am really surprised that not a single person has brought this up. It is literally stealing money away from the producer. Consider it like torrenting movies. If you like the content please shut off your adblocker. I use it, but I have it disabled for specific sites including youtube.

Adblock is great for stopping popups because they can be viral in a very bad way (even on legit sites), however using adblock on youtube is really messed up. You are effectively removing income from the content owner. It would be like watching TV without ads, the content owner gets no money, and thus has less incentive to make more videos. Some people use youtube as a main source of income and are loosing a huge amount of revenue because of people using these blockers. I understand using it at times to keep yourself safe, but using it because you don't want to wait 20 seconds is not a good excuse for stealing away the ad revenue of the creator. I am really surprised that not a single person has brought this up. It is literally stealing money away from the producer. Consider it like torrenting movies. If you like the content please shut off your adblocker. I use it, but I have it disabled for specific sites including youtube.

I can understand what you're trying to say, but equating it to stealing is a step too much. It's no different than fast forwarding on a PVR. 

I get what you are saying and I do not agree.

110% Don't agree sorry.

I'm curious as to why you feel ads should not be around.

I have always seen ads as a way to fund the content. Many people use it to keep their websites up for people without loss to themselves. It gives justification to the time they put into the content. If you spent hours every week keeping something up simply for other people, it would help to not lose money while doing it (such as when running a website). Many youtube artists use this as a source of income because they won't have time to keep adding videos up if they work a normal job. It is obvious that you must have some reason for removing the ads. I do it on some sites for different reasons such as tracking your click history and virus deliverance, but if there is a site that I frequent I turn off the blocker so that the people get some kind of compensation for their hours of time they spent giving to the community. Content creation is a long process. I completely understand not wanting ads, but what I don't understand is not wanting to support those whose content you like. Unless they relentlessly plaster ads in every possible spot. That is just bad practice and shows they simply want money.

I'll agree that some youtubers deserve some money for the content they provide, but ad revenue isn't the only way they get it, and even if it was, let's face it, making youtube your main source of revenue isn't exactly the smartest career choice. Each individuals relevance will eventually fade and so will their fan base, then what? Youtube if anything shouldn't be about making money, it should be about fulfilling your passion for w/e content you provide, or video editing and so on. On another side of things, it can also be an effective tool for bringing attention to services/products you offer, or gain attention for your own website and so on.

Anyway, to my understanding, ad revenue really doesn't even put much in the pockets of the content providers, it all boils down to sponsors or partnered networks. That's what the youtubers I watch say at least, and they have no issues with viewers using adblock, though they do appreciate if we turn it off.

I'll agree that some youtubers deserve some money for the content they provide, but ad revenue isn't the only way they get it, and even if it was, let's face it, making youtube your main source of revenue isn't exactly the smartest career choice. Each individuals relevance will eventually fade and so will their fan base, then what? Youtube if anything shouldn't be about making money, it should be about fulfilling your passion for w/e content you provide, or video editing and so on. On another side of things, it can also be an effective tool for bringing attention to services/products you offer, or gain attention for your own website and so on.

Anyway, to my understanding, ad revenue really doesn't even put much in the pockets of the content providers, it all boils down to sponsors or partnered networks. That's what the youtubers I watch say at least, and they have no issues with viewers using adblock, though they do appreciate if we turn it off.

Well made point. Truthfully youtube does actually give a lot of money through ads. Most content creators say that because the amount has been reduced a little. I have a buddy who has a low profile gaming page with a huge amount of videos, but he only gets a few thousand on some of them every month. He makes 200+ a month. Not a livable amount, but a good bit of revenue. Most tubers are usually saying this because their amount has been reducing at a constant rate (few dollars since 2012) and it feels like they don't get that much now.