Packing mission PBO?

WEB11

Question

I host my server privately and right now I only use cpbo to pack my server file into dayz_server.pbo. I run my mission out of a folder (DayZ_Epoch_11.Chernarus). Is there a way to pack my mission file to a pbo as well? And is there an advantage in doing that? Maybe faster mission file download?

19 answers to this question

I host my server privately and right now I only use cpbo to pack my server file into dayz_server.pbo. I run my mission out of a folder (DayZ_Epoch_11.Chernarus). Is there a way to pack my mission file to a pbo as well? And is there an advantage in doing that? Maybe faster mission file download?

Packing your mission into a PBO I don't believe is faster, because it still has to be unpacked.

Your server has to read it which means it has to unpack it to read it.

The client does get the mission as a pbo, which it has to unpack either way to read.

So tldr, I don't think there is an advantage to having it packed or not.

I use PBO manager, tried them all they usually ended up corrupted, PBO manager works for me.

Packing your mission into a PBO I don't believe is faster, because it still has to be unpacked.

Your server has to read it which means it has to unpack it to read it.

The client does get the mission as a pbo, which it has to unpack either way to read.

So tldr, I don't think there is an advantage to having it packed or not.

Thanks for the info, I kept seeing people mentioning how they are packing their PBOs even for private servers and that got me wondering. I run my server on a powerful dedicated box so performance isn't really an issue, I was just wondering if there was any benefits for the players.

And another took the troll bait :rolleyes:

Reading Comprehension: 1

Troll: 2

LMAO exactly my toughts. I will just ignore them before I start pulling my hair. Never had any issues with CPBO tho, it's extremely easy to use with just a right click on a folder.

P.S. DZMS rules!

Do you get an error in your RPT such as "server_functions.sqf not found."?

I know how to fix that VERY easily

Otherwise yes I do use PBO Manager

Remember that we tried to help you? We didn't do it to "troll" as Vampire though..

How was your first reply above "helpful" in any way. Completely off topic and unrelated to my original post. Vampire was the only one who bothered to read and had something useful to add to this thread.

I've been packing the mission with my restart script for a long time now.  I use cpbo.exe for this.  PBO Manager for manual packing.  

start "" "cpbo.exe" -y -p dayz_69.Chernarus

The advantage to this is you can make edits while the server is running... and on the next reboot those edits are packed into the pbo.

I'm going to try using the folder on a high pop server and see if any differences are noticed.  The disadvantage is all the files in the mission folder will be in use and I won't be able to make edits for following restarts anymore.

I noticed if you use the folder the pbo the client gets is __cur_mp.pbo