Generators and base lights

brolidog

Question

So, finally got a nice base going and placed some lights..

Do the lights still require a generator to be powered?

If so how do we do that now? You cant build a gen anywhere but next to a pump.

We can build a pump but, there is no recipe as far as I know, and even then can only be built next to a fuel tank.

So how are we to power our lights?

8 answers to this question

Be nice if it could be added that lights need generators and can be turned on or off. There's been a  number of times it would have been useful to turn the lights off at our camp (such as chopper overflights, enemy raids, etc.).

I would also like to see some kind of spot light system in the game and maybe the ability to add the big tower flood lights.

I have plans on applying my new lights system to epoch and am currently moving light points serverside. Aside from loving the mod, it has a power generator :D

Currently have house, street and illuminant tower lighting. Have been wanting a power generator requirement for ages and have a fair bit of work done already on implementing one.

Any further suggestions please let me know. I will see what i can work in.

Though, I see there are already lights in this mod and don't want to be treading on any toes so would like to chat to one of the mod developers about it before steaming ahead..

@axeman we welcome your work as we do want to make all lights require a generator or power nearby. We have the arma 2 standard lights on now just so we could turn them off later. However my biggest problem so far is most ways I could think of would be kind of performance killing. And our performance is already low due to all the extra loops. More improvements in regards to base mod performance in the patches to follow. 

I used Axeman's lights mod,

http://www.opendayz.net/threads/dayz-street-lights.9112/

for a short time and was very impressed. The issue I encountered was publicvariable logging starting to lag the server, but from the posts in the opendayz topic it seems like it's already being addressed. I've been trying to combine the lights with a shortened day / night cycle controlled by restarts but am having issues with syncing timing and BEC.

I'll post my results once I get something more concrete, although I have a feeling it will either not be necessary in a few patches or will pale in comparison to whatver axeman and/or vbawol work up

@GucciMane: Have also noticed the public var log spamming. Have you tried packaging the fnc_returnLampWS.sqf into the dayz_server.pbo ?

As the server creates the public variable you shouldn't get the log spam.. If it is in the client mission you are going to get this and, additionally, you are subjecting your players to another 200 odd kb of download each time they join as all of the light locations are stored in that file, is why it is so big.. Taviana has 6570 strreetlight lightpoints, each one requires an exact X/Y worldspace reference..

My next release will be for Epoch, there will be no need to create the public variables as their server configuration is different to the private/vanilla dayz setup. And I can implement the power generator, no more free light at night ;)

My opinion on HDD access (logging), it is the biggest hog of resource and cause of low server FPS that is going for the Arma engine...

Axeman: I haven't but I will and post the results when I get a chance

Not really related to street lights but I did place generators at each of the dozen or so stock gas stations found on Chernarus in an attempt for a simpler refuel then just using a jerrycan while trying to keep some of the realism that is removed by pulling up to an apologetic gas station and having your gas tank refuel in 3 seconds flat. I placed them in the map editor and then changed the classname to "generator_dz" so players could interact with them. The only issue with doing that is players started to realize that the generators respawn on restart and can then "farm" generators.

I remember a specific code relating to "remove generator" but I haven't had time to search it yet. I think it was in selfactions but if anyone is interested I can send you the generator sqf and my playeractions once I remove remove generator option. It does also create a slight problem with players not being able to remove their own generators but my server has a static time set for 24/7 daylight ATM so it's not much of an issue, but will need to be addressed as well after Axeman's upcoming Epoch specific light addon