Adding Weapon Packs - Almost there

prominentalex

Question

I added a weapon pack to my Vilayer Epoch server, and with the bikey in the keys folder, the weapon pack in the @dayz_epoch/addons, and it being called in the mission.sqm. When I join, I get a black screen, and it just says waiting for host.

My mission.sqm:

version=11;
class Mission
{
addOns[]=
{
"chernarus",
"ca_modules_animals",
"dayz_anim",
"dayz_code",
"dayz_communityassets",
"dayz_weapons",
"dayz_equip",
"dayz_epoch",
"dayz_vehicles",
"cacharacters_pmc",
"ca_modules_functions",
"glt_m300t",
"ffaa_armas",
"c1987_mp7",
"Caiman",
"trh_stolly",
"int73_mi6a",
"len_backpacks",
"vilas_aks",
"vilas_aks_cfg",
"csj_gyroac",
"map_eu",
"jetskiyanahuiaddon"
};
addOnsAuto[]=
{
"dayz_weapons",
"ca_modules_functions",
"chernarus"
};

My RPT log says:

13:49:43 Warning Message: You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.vilas_aks
13:49:43 Missing addons detected:

13:49:43   vilas_aks

This is not the only time I've gotten this error, I get it with about 50% of the mods I try.

Anyone have some info?

24 answers to this question

Classes like weapons or vehicles must be loaded before the client starts. You cannot just pass to the client server files that add new class files, It just wont load. If you want to add more class files, you have to update both your Server Files, and your Client files. meaning players have to update their Client files to match all the added pbo's. (Either adding the pbo's to the epoch directory, or their own directory and manually enable the expansion in the main menu.) Most users are not proficient at editing their own files, so unless you have your own custom loader like overwatch's or braking point's then editing the files have to be done by hand.

Believe me, everyone and their mom would love to just be able to add whatever they want to there server files and have the server just pass it through the mission file the server hands out. Some thing all server owners dearly with was fixed in arma 3...

Classes like weapons or vehicles must be loaded before the client starts. You cannot just pass to the client server files that add new class files, It just wont load. If you want to add more class files, you have to update both your Server Files, and your Client files. meaning players have to update their Client files to match all the added pbo's. (Either adding the pbo's to the epoch directory, or their own directory and manually enable the expansion in the main menu.) Most users are not proficient at editing their own files, so unless you have your own custom loader like overwatch's or braking point's then editing the files have to be done by hand.

Believe me, everyone and their mom would love to just be able to add whatever they want to there server files and have the server just pass it through the mission file the server hands out. Some thing all server owners dearly with was fixed in arma 3...

This is for my own private community, I have a launcher also. All the players have the PBO's needed to join the server. I'm just curious, as to why it isn't loading that addon? 

well you added it properly in the server files, you just need to enable them in the client files. The Mod has to add them when the client starts up. I dont know if the files just need to be in your clients @epoch folder or if when the clients arma starts it reads a file similar tot eh servers 'mission.sqm' file.  As all this requires a custom loader or customizing epoch clients, I always tossed it aside because it can cost me users who are wary of going outside 'DayZ Commander' for the client files.

If this is any help them please reply, I would like to know what needed to be changed. If you want to do some testing:

• Copy each additional mod into its own @ModName/addons folder
  • Goto commander and click on settings
  • Edit the additional launch parameters and add @ModName
  • Then connect to your Epoch server through Commander and see if you defeat the Addons Loading Boss

If that doesn't work then you will need to write a custom arma2 start script that includes @epoch, and anyy additional mods. If that still doesnt work then i am at a loss.

well you added it properly in the server files, you just need to enable them in the client files. The Mod has to add them when the client starts up. I dont know if the files just need to be in your clients @epoch folder or if when the clients arma starts it reads a file similar tot eh servers 'mission.sqm' file.  As all this requires a custom loader or customizing epoch clients, I always tossed it aside because it can cost me users who are wary of going outside 'DayZ Commander' for the client files.

If this is any help them please reply, I would like to know what needed to be changed. If you want to do some testing:

• Copy each additional mod into its own @ModName/addons folder
  • Goto commander and click on settings
  • Edit the additional launch parameters and add @ModName
  • Then connect to your Epoch server through Commander and see if you defeat the Addons Loading Boss

If that doesn't work then you will need to write a custom arma2 start script that includes @epoch, and anyy additional mods. If that still doesnt work then i am at a loss.

The server is not loading them properly, I just get stuck at waiting for host.

ok, is the server starting all right? what does .rpt say? when i tried it a couple of weeks ago on my test server I ran into the bikey issue...the mod i was using didn't have the bikeys (dammit) and i tried to launch my server without battle eye but who knows if it was the server's battle eye or the clients...

you could get stuck waiting for host for all sorts of reasons. missing comma, bad syntax, the gods hate you. but the lats lines of your .rpt log could provide some clues.

if your not going to test and try something different, then no one can help you debug. Your original post said it didnt work, so you need to try something else. I have no doubt you set up the server properly, but your client is missing the required .pbos. It either isnt loading them or doesnt have them.

Quit bumping, you and i are having a mis-comunication. Your server is loading just fine, You cannot Connect to it due to a "Downloadable Content" mis-match. So We shall start from the top

First Server Files (THE SERVER):

• Go into your server files and the @Dayz_Epoch folder (The Folder that Contains the Same "Client files" the Client uses)
  • Add the mods you want to use to the 'addons' folder wiht the BiKeys they came with.
  • Go To your MPMissions folder (still on the server files) and open your instance folder, or mission.pbo
  • Edit the 'mission.sqm' file to also add the Newly Added Mods
  • Start the server (If its a mission.pbo, the repack it and replace the old one)

Second Client Files(YOUR DESKTOP):

• Go to your @Dayz_Epoch folder in your arma2:oa directory
  • Open the 'addons' folder
  • Add the Mods and their BiKeys that you added to the Server files to the Client
  • From everything I can tell, there is no file client side that needs to be edited, simply placing the files inside the '@Dayz_Epoch/addons' and starting Arma2 with that Extension should load all mod.pbo's in that folder
  • Start Commander and connect to your server, or start arma2 and enable the @epoch expansion and restart, or start arma2 with the extra command to start with @epoch, what ever and how ever you start your client. Then try to connect to your server.

Problems that can arise:

• Your server is hosted with a GSP (Game Server Provider) Vilayer. With All GSP's you are at their whim on what files they will let you access. If you cannot access the Server's Client files (Both the server and the Connecting Clients Need a Copy of the Client for them to work) then you can not MOD your server. Modding Client Files is Highly irregular, so most GSP don't give you access to the Client Files so they can Host Multiple servers from one machine. This allows them to save money, but also keeps you from accessing certain files. If you do not have access to client files then you will need to go dedicated and build the entire server your self.
  • If you are launching Arma with the wrong or improper start-up commands then you will not be able to connect to any server, a simple test is to launch your client and escape back to the title screen and see of you see the Epoch logo in the bottom left corner or upper right.

So, lets see if that has cleared anything up, I am running $2000+$100/month custom hardware in a dedicated environment so I have no idea what Vilayer is like. If you have a lack of access then I would be interested in knowing that. If we are still having a mis-communication then I will endeavor to persist this forum post.

I appreciate all the information, but I'm not an idiot. No, my server is not loading fine. 

This is not a client side error, it is a server side error.

The server is NOT LOADING, because for some reason, it is not reading the addons in the server files. I join the server, get stuck in lobby, black screen, name on top right corner.

It launches and INSTANTLY gives me -

13:49:43 Warning Message: You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.vilas_aks

13:49:43   vilas_aks

When vilas_aks is clearly installed, on both client side and server side. 

welp, i have no idea then. because the error message you keep posting reads to me the the client and the server have different mods loded and they are mismatched. I did not have this issue when trying to make a custom mod on my server, I simply had all the file setup right and the server kicked out a bikey error because the mod did not come with Bikeys.

I will look at the Epoch PBO once im done with editing my dayz server's HDD for a SSD upgrade.

Would it not be easier to just use Rmod 2.1 ?

That will allow you to use ANY weapon pack, the Robert Hammer pack is awesome, other Rmod players would also be able to join.

Seems the easiest and most sensible way forward :) You get the weapons you want and Rmod players have a new server to try, unless you want the server kept private ?

This is possible with the default epoch installed on both the server and the client - but can make your mission file HUGE. Works very much the same as custom loot tables. Goto the github and do a code search for cfgWeapons.

You will need to bypass the loading of any file that contains this and include it in the mission file (Same as any custom compiles, you should know what I am talking about, and if not, then this is probably too hard for you).

Where ever you see:

configFile >> cfgWeapons >> SomeVariable

Replace that with:

missionConfigFile >> cfgWeapons >> SomeVariable

Then in description.ext in your mission file - add:

#include 'SomePath\cfgWeapons.hpp';

As long as you do that, you can start modifying the default weapon classes.

The rest is quite hard, but this tip will give you a nudge in the right direction  ^_^

HINT: Extract the config.bin in the addon to get their cfgWeapons. Merge the two without duplicate classes (Rename if you have to). Change any references to point at the addon files you put in the mission file (Open the PBO with PBO Manager to find the prefix, search for that and replace it with 'MyAddon' or something like that).

Is this hard? YES. Is this practical? NO! Does this work? YES!

This is one of the many things I did to get Namalsk to work 100% with epoch, Loot, Nam specific modules, the lot.

This is possible with the default epoch installed on both the server and the client - but can make your mission file HUGE. Works very much the same as custom loot tables. Goto the github and do a code search for cfgWeapons.

You will need to bypass the loading of any file that contains this and include it in the mission file (Same as any custom compiles, you should know what I am talking about, and if not, then this is probably too hard for you).

Where ever you see:

configFile >> cfgWeapons >> SomeVariable

Replace that with:

missionConfigFile >> cfgWeapons >> SomeVariable

Then in description.ext in your mission file - add:

#include 'SomePath\cfgWeapons.hpp';

As long as you do that, you can start modifying the default weapon classes.

The rest is quite hard, but this tip will give you a nudge in the right direction  ^_^

HINT: Extract the config.bin in the addon to get their cfgWeapons. Merge the two without duplicate classes (Rename if you have to). Change any references to point at the addon files you put in the mission file (Open the PBO with PBO Manager to find the prefix, search for that and replace it with 'MyAddon' or something like that).

Is this hard? YES. Is this practical? NO! Does this work? YES!

This is one of the many things I did to get Namalsk to work 100% with epoch, Loot, Nam specific modules, the lot.

What do you mean their cfg weapons? Im in the config.bin after I converted it to a cfg. Now what do I grab? and what prefix's do I change?

Ok, lets start fresh here.

13:49:43   vilas_aks

Where do you get this message? 

If it is in the server console or server RPT, its server side. This means the server isn't loading the PBO and thats never a good thing. One thing to note is that addon PBO's require a prefix. Always. I generally use the same name as the PBO. 

If it is when you join the server and logged in the client RPT, it is client side. This means the client isn't reading the PBO's. This is probably caused by cfgAddons. cfgAddons preloads the required files that must load before the client connects (Classes etc). Try adding your PBO's prefix in here.

And if this doesn't fix it, try loading it as a separate mod (This requires a bit more effort).

I tried explaining to that guy it was server side, I still have the issue.. And now Im having an issue of adding EXISTING weapon packs to the loot tables..

I can appreciate that you tried explaining that it was server side - But you are here asking for help. 

Does that message appear in the server RPT or when the client connects?