Best way to have Epoch Namalsk running? Dedi box?

Grinchen

Question

Hi,

I've given up on using Vilayer as hosts for my Epoch servers.

I am now looking into using a dedicated box (or something) and would like some info or guides on how to set this up properly.

Server will be running Epoch 1.0.3.1 (or newer when released) and Namalsk 0.741. Location is Europe. UK, Netherlands or Germany preferred.

And of course, as cheap as possible for a server able to run 50 slots and some scripts and events without any trouble.

First things first:

1. Host? Which host is the best for using a dedi box with the DayZ Mod?

2. What do I need? I mean, tools, files, etc...

3. Is it hard to get it working properly without any errors and battleye kicks and whatnot?

- I know that it'll be alot of testing and probably some screw ups, but i'm up for it. I just need a start boost by someone with knowledge.

4. What else? Probably more I need to know and adjust and all that.

-------

The features that I would also have running when getting Namalsk ready to go is:

Cold weather (like the DayZ Namalsk is)

Warm Clothing

EVR blowout storms (and ASPI to protect players from it)

Snow falling

Other features I have experience with adding, such as:

God Mode Traders

Auto Refuel

Indestructible Base Building

Anti-Hack

Mission and Supply drops

AI

But all these features are irrelevant until the server is working.

I appreciate any help with this.

Where you wanting to host the server ? Eu or US or other ?

I have mine in France, gets great pings to the UK and all of Europe, try online.net

Remember you need a Windows license.

Europe, i'll add that in the OP.

Of course as cheap as possible for a 40-50 man server is preferred.

1. So, basically I can download steam, and log in using my steam account, download the files for Arma II (etc), download DZC and download the required files, and upload them to my server?

2. Yes, Battleye, what do I do to fix that? I'm sure i'll be stuck for hours unless I get some info about it. ;)

Yes, just install Steam and it will download all the ArmA files :) DZC will do the beta-patch and Epoch files, you will need to manually download the Server files

The server files even include a bat file to start the server, few changes might be needed for the paths etc

BattlEye will run fine, BEC is used for scheduled restarts

You also need a Database installed, plenty guides here and at opendayz.net for them things, It's really not that difficult to do :)

Yes, just install Steam and it will download all the ArmA files :) DZC will do the beta-patch and Epoch files, you will need to manually download the Server files

The server files even include a bat file to start the server, few changes might be needed for the paths etc

BattlEye will run fine, BEC is used for scheduled restarts

You also need a Database installed, plenty guides here and at opendayz.net for them things, It's really not that difficult to do :)

Link to a good one? Haha. ;)

You make it all sound so easy.

I use Wamp for database, give you an easy php server as well. Its pretty easy to use.

Make sure you add it to your Startup windows folder as well, so its always on.

For BEC to restart the server you need the scheduler. Here is mine, it will restart the server every 3hours, and when it does, i wrote a script to backup the database, and then restart the server.

Scheduler.xml

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Scheduler>

<!--Load Bans-->
	<job id="0">
		<time>000100</time>
		<delay>000000</delay>
		<day>1,2,3,4,5,6,7</day>
		<loop>1</loop>
		<cmd>loadbans</cmd>
		<cmdtype>0</cmdtype>
	</job>

<!--Restart (Every 3 hours)-->
	<job id="1">
		<time>010000</time>
		<delay>000000</delay>
		<day>1,2,3,4,5,6,7</day>
		<loop>1</loop>
		<cmd>say -1 Another hour has just passed on GROF server.</cmd>
		<cmdtype>0</cmdtype>
	</job>

<job id="2">
    <time>015000</time>
		<delay>000000</delay>
    <day>1,2,3,4,5,6,7</day>
    <loop>1</loop>
    <cmd>say -1 Server AutoRestart every 3 Hours</cmd>
    <cmdtype>0</cmdtype>
  </job>

<job id="3">
		<time>023000</time>
		<delay>000000</delay>
		<day>1,2,3,4,5,6,7</day>
		<loop>0</loop>
		<cmd>say -1 Server will restart in 30 minutes</cmd>
		<cmdtype>0</cmdtype>
	</job>

<job id="4">
		<time>024500</time>
		<delay>000000</delay>
		<day>1,2,3,4,5,6,7</day>
		<loop>0</loop>
		<cmd>say -1 Server will restart in 15 minutes</cmd>
		<cmdtype>0</cmdtype>
	</job>

<job id="5">
		<time>025000</time>
		<delay>000000</delay>
		<day>1,2,3,4,5,6,7</day>
		<loop>0</loop>
		<cmd>say -1 Server will restart in 10 min--</cmd>
		<cmdtype>0</cmdtype>
	</job>

<job id="6">
		<time>025500</time>
		<delay>000000</delay>
		<day>1,2,3,4,5,6,7</day>
		<loop>0</loop>
		<cmd>say -1 Server will restart in 5 min--</cmd>
		<cmdtype>0</cmdtype>
	</job>

<job id="7">
		<time>025900</time>
		<delay>000000</delay>
		<day>1,2,3,4,5,6,7</day>
		<loop>0</loop>
		<cmd>say -1 AUTO SERVER RESTART IN 1 MINUTE - LOG OUT NOW OR YOU MAY LOSE YOUR GEAR</cmd>
		<cmdtype>0</cmdtype>
	</job>

<job id="8">
		<time>030000</time>
		<delay>000000</delay>
		<day>1,2,3,4,5,6,7</day>
		<loop>0</loop>
		<cmd>C:\Arma 2\@EPOCH_START.bat</cmd>
		<cmdtype>1</cmdtype>
	</job>

</Scheduler>

as you can see in the end, the scheduler runs @EPOCH_START.bat. This is the bat i used to backup the database (with WAMP installed)/restart the server.

@EPOCH_START.bat

@echo off
echo Stopping game server...
taskkill /F /IM arma2oaserver.exe
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 1 >NUL
echo.
echo.
echo Stopping BEC...
taskkill /F /IM Bec.exe
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 1 >NUL
echo.
echo.
echo Log Rotator...
cd /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArmA 2\instance_11_Chernarus"
start rotate_logs.bat
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 2 >NUL
echo.
echo.
echo Creating a backup of your database...
FOR /F "tokens=1-4 DELIMS=/ " %%F IN ('date /T') DO (set v_date=%%F%%G%%H) 
FOR /F "tokens=1-4 DELIMS=: " %%F IN ('time /T') DO (set v_time=%%F%%G%%H) 
set fname=database_backup_%v_date%_%v_time%.sql 
echo %v_time% 
echo %fname% 
cd /D "C:\wamp\bin\mysql\mysql5.6.12\bin"
mysqldump -u YOURSQLUSERNAME -p YOURDATABASENAME --password=YOURSQLPASSWORD --result-file="C:\Arma2\BACKUPFOLDERNAME\%fname%"
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 2 >NUL
echo.
echo.
echo Starting BEC...
cd /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArmA 2\BEC"
start Bec.exe -f config.cfg
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 2 >NUL
echo.
echo.
echo Starting server...
cd /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\ArmA 2"
start Expansion\beta\arma2oaserver.exe -port=2302 -beta=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion -nosplash -cpuCount=6 -name=instance_11_Chernarus -profiles=instance_11_Chernarus -cfg=instance_11_Chernarus\basic.cfg -config=instance_11_Chernarus\config.cfg -mod=expansion;expansion\beta;expansion\beta\expansion;@DayZ_Epoch;@DayZ_Epoch_Server;@instance_11_Chernarus
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 5 >NUL
echo.
echo Leaving the launcher...
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 5 >NUL
echo.
echo.
exit

It crashes BEC and the server 1st,

Then makes a backup of the database to a folder

Then starts BEC and the server.

Of course change the paths to your liking, and add the user/pass/name of your database (dont forget the wamp path as well).

Only problem with that approach Sandbird is that BEC won't auto-restart if it crashes and your server won't restart then.

I really suggest getting FireDaemon and setting it up to run all your servers and BEC clients at services and make them dependent on the server service so that if BEC crashes and the server is still running it will auto-restart.

To make sure everything works as intended, I start the BAT file as administrator...

Mine is about the same as the above one, with this exception :

I start arma2server , wait 30 seconds , then BEC.. In the BAT file I loop back to the 1st line, which executes the moment BEC stops. This way, I only have to click 'execute as admin" once, then never look at it again.

==========

:start

taskkill arma

do Db backup

sleep 5 /quiet

start arma here

sleep 30 /quiet

start /w bec.exe -f config.cfg  (/w means the BAT file waits until the process stops).

goto :start

=========

You want to have a good admin/antihack; I bought infistar and very happy with it.

The 2 posted files are what you basically need...

And the only proper way to get it running is trial, and error.. Give it a go, figure out the relations between the files, dependencies, learn from the errors you make, then when an update comes, it's easy job to redo.

If you want to run a dedi box (I do it too) and ppl spoonfeed you a setup, you will have problems when you want to implement autorefuel, safezones, or whatever.

Get the game installed, grab the server files, get WAMP (or MySQL) install the database (only 1 SQL to run, it's in the server-files.zip) boot up the gameserver and learn from there.. Then when you run into specific problems, google, or ask; many people here have done the same and can help you. IMO it's the best way to learn the ropes.

Is there a better/easier host than online.net?

There is no information on total pricing before purchase and french isn't really a language I understand.

Define better ? You get a working dedicated server with all the resources you need, price is one of the cheapest around :)

You can change the site language to English, jus press the Union Jack image or add en to the URL http://www.online.net/en

Depending on the exhchange it'll cost around £42 per month.

Define better ? You get a working dedicated server with all the resources you need, price is one of the cheapest around :)

You can change the site language to English, jus press the Union Jack image or add en to the URL http://www.online.net/en

Depending on the exhchange it'll cost around £42 per month.

Yeah, but when I press Order on the 29,99 Euro I get to a new page with more things to buy.

Service level? 20 extra Euro's a month? I know there's a free one...

Backup? 5 Euro's a month?

And where do I get the windows license???

Hell, if I can get someone to help me with setting it up i'd be happy to pay them for it. Of course I want to learn aswell so i'd like to participate.

I don't mind using online.net (or any other host), but it's setting it up that i'm worried about.

Wish there was a step-by-step dummy tutorial. ;)

Ok, so if I purchase the 29.99 euro/month Dedibox Classic + Gen2 server, what would be the next step?

How do I purchase the windows license?

What else?

And if all this is way out of my league (which it probably is), would Dayz.st work with Epoch Namalsk properly? Meaning EVR, cold weather and all that? Would I be able to get that to work with Dayz.st?

I know they've been DDoS'ed etc etc, but they are cheap, and worked fine when I was hosting normal DayZ with different maps like 8 months ago.