Death Message Board Not Working

ToejaM

Question

Any idea what I've changed to break the death message board?

Running:

Animated Heli Crashes

BaseBuilding 1.2

Custom Death Journal (Broken before this)
Sarge AI (Broken before this)

Fast Roping (Broken before this)

I really think its to do with the basebuilding 1.2 but as there are no stages with the install that I can test its either on or off I'm not sure which files being modified would affect it without doing a systematic check on everything.

11:36:08 "PDEATH: Player Died 50689414"

Thats what I get now instead of a message and the death board always shows "no recent kills"

So any ideas which files deal with the kill messages that I may have altered?

The way to fix/find the problem would be to

Create a new clone DayZ Epoch server (fresh install)

And then add the mods one at a time, back up, test after each step for functionality.

Does base building require any of the files from dayz_server.pbo to be copied to the mission file?

I think a bit of both, requires edits and possibly copies over. I'm pretty sure its related to the basebuilding mod and likely a duplicate private_ string conflicting it or where its been copied over one of the private_ definitions is missing.

Ok so its not an issue with animated helicrashes as I did a fresh install and didn't add these so my guess is its related to the basebuilding.

However it doesn't seem to be logging it correctly to the .rpt instead I get this:

14:06:06 "PDEATH: Player Died 66246342"

And thats it nothing else, do I have a setting turned off or something as surely it should be logging it to the rpt at the least, which I guess is where the death message board pulls it from.

Is it because I've renamed my server .exe and its looking for a different rpt file or something?

My message boards have been blank since adding Base Building 1.2 as well. I've (slowly) been looking for a solution to this as it's not only very helpful but also gives more of an immersion than just having a message appear saying "_____ was killed by _____ with a ______" whenever there is any PVP on the server. I have to do more research though and will report back

Any idea what I've changed to break the death message board?

Running:

Animated Heli Crashes

BaseBuilding 1.2

Custom Death Journal (Broken before this)

Sarge AI (Broken before this)

Fast Roping (Broken before this)

I really think its to do with the basebuilding 1.2 but as there are no stages with the install that I can test its either on or off I'm not sure which files being modified would affect it without doing a systematic check on everything.

11:36:08 "PDEATH: Player Died 50689414"

Thats what I get now instead of a message and the death board always shows "no recent kills"

So any ideas which files deal with the kill messages that I may have altered?

Well, I'm running all that except for Base Building 1.2 + Custom Death journal and messages work for me. Is the Custom Journal the one written by FreakingFred? That one might be touching something related to the messaging, but I'm really just guessing.

Its got to be something in the base building then, as the freds journal was added after it had already stopped functioning.

Not sure what in base building would affect the player kill messages though??

My thought is that its missing from the compiles.sqf as I cant see it in there.. does it need to be in there?

From what I found, the death message board config is found in server\compile\server_playerdied.sqf

look for the line that says

// build array to store death messages to allow viewing at message board in trader citys.
	PlayerDeaths set [count PlayerDeaths,_message];

I have to take a look at compiles to see if there's anything there still

Is it possible that something from the basebuilding mod is interfereing with a "private" _XXXX setting, sharing the same name.. or does that not matter?

This is really confusing me as to why its not working!

Still having this issue, does anyone know how I can follow it and see where the link is broken?

Its not reporting correctly in the RPT so I figure thats a good hint but I woudnt know how to follow it to there or track away from it?

No but I'm pretty sure its the base building mod, if I knew what to search for I could probably find it but I'm a little confused to all the files the death message board uses :)

If you have to change something in the server pbo to run Sarge then it's probably that causing it as we don't run Sarge, our addons are similar and our death message boards work ok. Hope that's of some help.

If you think its the base building mod, remove it see if it works. If it does, then your one step closes to solving it.

I would be looking to see if any of the public vars used by the death boards appear in any of the base building mod.

If you think its the base building mod, remove it see if it works. If it does, then your one step closes to solving it.

I would be looking to see if any of the public vars used by the death boards appear in any of the base building mod.

Well thats what I thought, I'm just not sure what the files are I need to be checking for that on the death message board side

Dave yeah its not sarge AI - id stake money on it being the base building, trying to narrow it down to a file.. I just dont get why it reports a PKILL but nothing else, something is conflicting thats for sure but no error messages. Havent had the time to trouble shoot it tho with fresh install

If I knew which files exactly it was for the death message board I could just change the arrays in the few files it'd be in rather than digging in the base building to change it across that mess of code!

Customize Death Messages

Untested

Enables global chat messaging of player deaths. (Also requires enableRadio true;?)

DZE_DeathMsgGlobal = true;

Enables side chat messaging of player deaths. (Also requires enableRadio true;?)

DZE_DeathMsgSide = true;

Enables global title text messaging of player deaths.

DZE_DeathMsgTitleText = true;

off this website

http://dayzepoch.com/wiki/index.php/Init.sqf