Let's see your basic.cfg!

_Lance_

Don't be shy now. There's a good amount of OLD info out there about the obscure file that is "basic.cfg" - I've been tweaking mine lately, wondering if it's really making any difference, my basic.cfg is a mix of what comes with epoch, what I've found in old-ass bohemia wiki pages, and what i've found that worked well for others, in threads from 2014. So I'd like to get a look at what other admins have in their basic.cfg. It would be nice to have some updated info on it (I know the game hasn't changed but bandwidth and hardware have) available for anyone searching from here forward. If you're not comfortable sharing your basic.cfg that's fine. -

What I'd really like to see is the basic.cfg from someone with a high pop server - armaholics, yrun, moto, looking at you guys :D - as my servers are low to medium pop at best on most days. I'd like to see from someone who always has 45-65 players on during peak times if someone's willing to chime in. Anyways I'll post mine first, don't laugh now - it seems to do just fine but I'm always looking to improve my settings wherever possible...

Spoiler

language="English";
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1;
Resolution_W=640;
Resolution_H=480;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
serverLongitude=92;
serverLatitude=34;
serverLongitudeAuto=92;
serverLatitudeAuto=34;
Windowed=0;
MaxMsgSend=128;
MaxSizeGuaranteed=512;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=256;
MinBandwidth=731072;
MaxBandwidth=2147483647;
MinErrorToSend=0.001;
MinErrorToSendNear=0.0099999998;
MaxCustomFileSize=0;

Who's game?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, this is my basic.  At 60 players  there are no lags and desynchrones.

Spoiler

MinBandwidth=1097152;
MaxBandwidth=2147483647;
MaxMsgSend=256;
MaxSizeGuaranteed=512;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=192;
MinErrorToSendNear=0.050000001;
MinErrorToSend=0.0080000004;
MaxCustomFileSize=1;
Windowed=0;
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
class sockets
{
    maxPacketSize=1400;
};

On 10/25/2017 at 4:40 AM, dmitry.over said:

Hello, this is my basic.  At 60 players  there are no lags and desynchrones.

Hide contents

MinBandwidth=1097152;
MaxBandwidth=2147483647;
MaxMsgSend=256;
MaxSizeGuaranteed=512;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=192;
MinErrorToSendNear=0.050000001;
MinErrorToSend=0.0080000004;
MaxCustomFileSize=1;
Windowed=0;
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
class sockets
{
    maxPacketSize=1400;
};

Thanks for posting up, it appears no matter what you set the maxbandwith to, after the first session the server sets it to 2147483647, interesting. I would assume it's probably the bandwidth and maxmsgsend that make the biggest difference. Two questions though so hopefully you'll see this 1. Dedicated hardware or VM? and 2. Epoch or Overpoch/Overpochins?

Below is mine. I worked for several weeks to perfect it. At 46/46, there are no network messages being spammed in the rpt and no desync etc.... I compiled it from reading several posts about it.

While idk which one is the best out there, this one has worked on every OVH server config I have ever had, so it should work on nearly every network speed setup.

Let me know if you notice results :)

language="English";
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1500000;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
Windowed=0;

MinBandwidth = 1048576;
MaxBandwidth = 524288000;

MaxMsgSend = 1024;

MaxSizeGuaranteed = 512;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 128;

MinErrorToSend = 0.003;
MinErrorToSendNear = 0.029999999;

MaxCustomFileSize = 0;

48 minutes ago, BigEgg said:

Below is mine. I worked for several weeks to perfect it. At 46/46, there are no network messages being spammed in the rpt and no desync etc.... I compiled it from reading several posts about it.

While idk which one is the best out there, this one has worked on every OVH server config I have ever had, so it should work on nearly every network speed setup.

Let me know if you notice results :)

language="English";
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1500000;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
Windowed=0;

MinBandwidth = 1048576;
MaxBandwidth = 524288000;

MaxMsgSend = 1024;

MaxSizeGuaranteed = 512;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 128;

MinErrorToSend = 0.003;
MinErrorToSendNear = 0.029999999;

MaxCustomFileSize = 0;

Lots of variation between what works for one server and another - this is great though, two basic.cfg's from high pop servers - finally a thread with hard data for posterity ha. And yes trust me I'll be giving both of these a spin on the test server this weekend and comparing to my current performance, should be some nerdy fun. Thanks for the post BigEgg!

9 hours ago, _Lance_ said:

Thanks for posting up, it appears no matter what you set the maxbandwith to, after the first session the server sets it to 2147483647, interesting. I would assume it's probably the bandwidth and maxmsgsend that make the biggest difference. Two questions though so hopefully you'll see this 1. Dedicated hardware or VM? and 2. Epoch or Overpoch/Overpochins?

1) Dedicated ovh I7-4790K. 2) Epoch. 

If you are looking for a way to improve server performance, then setting up BASIC is the last thing to do) 

If you do not have ovh with antiddos game  I advise you to use this BASIC:

Spoiler

MaxCustomFileSize=1;
Windowed=0;
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1;
Resolution_Bpp=32;

I run this basic.cfg on KoTH with 80 players, Exile with 60 players and Epoch with 60 players

language="English";
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1.000000;
Resolution_W=800;
Resolution_H=600;
Resolution_Bpp=32;
MinBandwidth=15728640;
MaxBandwidth=1073741824;
MaxMsgSend=256;
MaxSizeGuaranteed=512;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=256;
MinErrorToSend=0.005;
MinErrorToSendNear=0.04;
MaxCustomFileSize=0;

Thanks for even more high-pop input guys, this is excellent.

@dmitry, I host my own stuff from my work and my servers are pretty well tweaked (my production stuff is STILL on hyperV vm's, waiting on block of IP's from comcrap-"fiber" so I can move them over to my dedicated hardware that's sitting and waiting) and seem to do ok so I'm not really looking to fix or improve anything via the basic, The basic.cfg is just something that there's been scattered "hard data" about and lots of threads mentioning high pop sever settings but no one with a popular server ever actually posted up.

So this is all good stuff to have for reference. As long as a2 epoch can be run there will be admins running it and players playing on it so there will always be new admins seeking this kind of info. Thanks again for posting up.