Hunting Bandit AI... Tips/Tricks?

DrScandalous

I want to change things up... turn the tide... and I want to go after those bandits that always pop up at the most inopportune times and hunt THEM. Any advice for engaging them? I want to make it as one-sided as possible, lol. Is it as simple as engaging them at long range and taking out the sniper (if present) first? 

Tips? Advice? 

Honestly it depends on the server settings. If they just have rifles, then sniping from a distance is always safest. If it looks "safe" after you've taken out what you can see, I would suggest switching to a medium/shorter range weapon when you get in close quarters...they sometimes have a tendency to hide. If the server has SMAWS/other RPG-type weapons for the AI, make sure you park your vehicle far enough out and try to take them out 1st if possible. On servers with rocket-launcher AI, I've been SMAW sniped from over 1km out before.

Honestly it depends on the server settings. If they just have rifles, then sniping from a distance is always safest. If it looks "safe" after you've taken out what you can see, I would suggest switching to a medium/shorter range weapon when you get in close quarters...they sometimes have a tendency to hide. If the server has SMAWS/other RPG-type weapons for the AI, make sure you park your vehicle far enough out and try to take them out 1st if possible. On servers with rocket-launcher AI, I've been SMAW sniped from over 1km out before.

Never seen a rocket launcher on the server I play on... so I'm guessing they don't have them. Usually just AK's, shotguns and the occasional sniper rifle on the leader. 

The best tips out there are: don't play ArmA the same style as any other game/FPS shooter.

in ArmA, you gotta be the praying bird in the sky; waiting, being patient, scanning, and quickly strike if you have the chance.

If you do not play like that, you will die a lot faster, and you will realize that ArmA is not meant for quick run&shoot gameplay.

Cover. Also very important. Don't use trees though if you fight AI. They shoot right through them. Same for low-armor cars like SUV's.

if you do not see any cover within range of engagement that meets the requirements for good cover; strike from a distance.

get a DMR, learn the zeroing on the dots (if Epoch keeps the DMR without zeroing) and be deadly.

I hope these tips helped you. 

Doesn't exist in the mod.

It does, just not on the loot tables but most servers add it in one way or another. 

Engaging AI is all about distances and cover. Learn what your weapon is good for, taking into consideration stopping power, range, accuracy and noise. Cover is less important if you are more than 400m away and always keep rangefinders handy even if you don't intend to use a long rifle. 

It also depends on the AI on the server, standard Arma AI go down very quickly and are not the most observant, Sarge AI is next on the list although they can be configured with damage modifiers to make them harder. DAYZAI have player like behaviour and can take more punishment. 

Try to use 7.62mm or larger calibre and aim for centre mass. Double tap DAYZAI and then shoot them in the head at close range to be sure. They tend to be proper dead when they look bloodied or have open staring eyes.

People have some good advice here.

Keep blood (if self-blood bag is activated), cooked food, morphine in your main inventory.  Eat cooked meat before you bandage. 

Fire and relocate, as in a real altercation you should never be where they think you are.  I have taken down AI with a machete using relocation tactics.  ARMA AI can hear you and reacts to sound as well as visual.

Don't roll up on them since a vehicle is a huge loud target.  If ya got a Vodnik or similar just roll over them, they rarely shoot at armor.

Don't roll up on them since a vehicle is a huge loud target.  If ya got a Vodnik or similar just roll over them, they rarely shoot at armor.

It's interesting that you said that... just last night (it was nighttime on the server, around 11pm) I was driving around in my SUV and ran across two patrols of AI and actually swerved to miss them (didn't see if they were bandits or heros, and they were standing in the middle of the road). Once I figured out that they were bandits... I drove back over, expecting them to have moved... but nope. They were just standing in the middle of the road. So I slowed down and methodically ran them all over and looted the bodies. 2x AKM, 1 SVD Camo, 1 M16A2, and a couple ghillie suits. I'm sure this was a typical situation, but dang... loved the bonus!

I think my typical situation is going to be where I'm driving around and I drive by them while they're in a field and they open fire on me. That's why I think I should keep a sniper in the SUV that I drive around in... so that I can drive down the road, park it, grab the sniper and then use the SUV as a barricade and take shots on them.

It does, just not on the loot tables but most servers add it in one way or another. 

Which means that on a vanilla Epoch server it no longer exists. So the guy telling him to "buy a DMR" is giving him bad advice because it may not be available. The last two Epoch Servers I have played on do not have DMRs except for the ones that existed prior to their removal. Since one is about a month old.... there are no DMRs on it at all. Now if the guy had said, "Buy a sniper with a decent rate of fire and scope." that would have been good advice. 

Which means that on a vanilla Epoch server it no longer exists. So the guy telling him to "buy a DMR" is giving him bad advice because it may not be available. The last two Epoch Servers I have played on do not have DMRs except for the ones that existed prior to their removal. Since one is about a month old.... there are no DMRs on it at all. Now if the guy had said, "Buy a sniper with a decent rate of fire and scope." that would have been good advice. 

Say whatever you want, but the DMR is the best sniper in the game for best overall performance.

So, when I say: go buy a DMR and it is not in the traders, then that lazy admin on that server should start getting his butt to the database and add it.

It is not difficult to do, I did it myself on my own server, so there is really no point in making a point that the DMR is not in the game, it can be added easily.

So, when I say: go buy a DMR and it is not in the traders, then that lazy admin on that server should start getting his butt to the database and add it.

Ah... so if the developer of the game removes something that you like and the admin doesn't put it back in it is the admin's fault it is gone and they are lazy... right.  <_< 

Interesting, looks like they added it back in at least as a drop. I'll have to start watching for one then since I too like using it, mostly because of NVGs working well with it and the ability to swap it with the M14 for long range - close range combat. 

Ah... so if the developer of the game removes something that you like and the admin doesn't put it back in it is the admin's fault it is gone and they are lazy... right.  <_< 

No. I am not saying that every admin of a server without a DMR in the traders is lazy, I am saying that if people request it, he would be lazy if he denied if he does not have any other argument to do it ofcourse.

It is a simple 2 minute action to add it to the traders.

I am saying that it is a very little deal for an admin to implement it. And if he does not do it just because he doesn't want to put the effort into it, he is lazy.

I agree that giving a player advice who is obviously newer at ARMA AI combat to buy a weapon that is typically unavailable is not good advice.

Unless of course you state that he/she will need to contact admins or other players to see if the DMR is available. 

Telling the player that their admin is lazy won't help them fight AI on the server they are playing on now, but maybe informing them that the SPR is the Dev chosen NVG capable replacement is something they can use. 

For the OP if he is even still reading this:  I don't use my vehicle as "cover" even though I make it priority to stock it with all replacement parts, (6 tires) and a toolbox.  I use the geometry of the land or buildings as cover so I don't have to put repairs into my vehicle while out in the open.  But its better than nothing if its nothing you have as an alternative. 

No. I am not saying that every admin of a server without a DMR in the traders is lazy, I am saying that if people request it, he would be lazy if he denied if he does not have any other argument to do it ofcourse.

It is a simple 2 minute action to add it to the traders.

I am saying that it is a very little deal for an admin to implement it. And if he does not do it just because he doesn't want to put the effort into it, he is lazy.

OR... he has a good reason for not adding it. Maybe the same reason the Devs don't have them available for sale, for example. Again, just because something CAN be done, doesn't mean it SHOULD be done. 

Yeah, the SPR is decent for taking down AI and if you run an M4A1 CCO you can easily swap between the two depending on what you need to use in the engagement. Both work with NVGs which is nice but neither do a ton of damage so you will need to do multiple shots on them or headshots.

I like using a Sa58V Acog for daytime ops. It has two sight options so I can use if for mid to long range and then switch to close range instantly and it does 4k+ blood. AKM ammo isn't as common as Stanag but you can buy it fairly cheap from traders so it makes for a versatile gun to just run around with in general and is not bad for taking out AI. 

I like using a Sa58V Acog for daytime ops. It has two sight options so I can use if for mid to long range and then switch to close range instantly and it does 4k+ blood. AKM ammo isn't as common as Stanag but you can buy it fairly cheap from traders so it makes for a versatile gun to just run around with in general and is not bad for taking out AI. 

In Vanilla, I used a G36K camo for the exact same purpose. Uses STANAG/STANAG SD ammo and basically has an ACOG sight for longer engagements too. Thinking of ditching my M4A3 CCO for a either that or an M16A2 ACOG for that longer reach too. 

In Vanilla, I used a G36K camo for the exact same purpose. Uses STANAG/STANAG SD ammo and basically has an ACOG sight for longer engagements too. Thinking of ditching my M4A3 CCO for a either that or an M16A2 ACOG for that longer reach too. 

Be careful, not all the ACOGs in Epoch have the alternate sight option. The M4A3 CCO is a nice gun, it has a flashlight which is useful if you don't have NVGs(it's Epoch though so who doesn't have them?) or if you do you can use it to dazzle and blind your NVG using opponents. The ACOG optics also don't work with NVGs. If you are on a 24/7 daylight server that won't matter, but on other servers you might want a second weapon in storage for night ops.

• 6 months later...

I suggest against using your vehicle as cover. It's a natural thing to do, but it's a good way to get your vehicle and any loot you have in it exploded. I only run over bandits that happen to be on my path to start with. It's not too hard for them to blow up your engine or shoot out a tire leaving you stuck in a bad place to fight from. 

As others have mentioned, be cold blooded and patient. Use third person to peek around corners and try to only engage bandits that aren't looking. Most of them are good shots and their guns do just as much damage as yours. If the situation doesn't look good then just move on and find a better victim. Be a predator and not a soldier.