How do I import bases into my map?

T1NY

Question

11 answers to this question

I saw your PM but since you've posted here, I'll reply here for others to read as well.

NOTE: I got this method from someone else. I don't recall where it came from, so I apologize for not giving credit.

Download this a3_custom.pbo file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mhl23ucqb1iw8e/a3_custom.pbo?dl=0

Extract it in your @epochhive/addons folder and go to the a3_custom\mapcontent folder.

Place the exported map addons (sqf files) from the m3 editor into this folder.

Open @epochhive\addons\a3_custom\init\fn_init.sqf file and add a line for each map addon. For example:

[] execVM "a3_custom\mapcontent\yourmapaddon.sqf";

Pack the a3_custom folder into a pbo called a3_custom.pbo and stick it in your @epochhive/addons folder on your server. All your map addons wil load server side without players needing to download anything.

For what reason "call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers" ? It´s senseless...

For this part only an "execVM" is needed.

You don´t want to load that map addition more than one time, so no compile is needed :)

cheers

For what reason "call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers" ? It´s senseless...

For this part only an "execVM" is needed.

You don´t want to load that map addition more than one time, so no compile is needed :)

cheers

As I said, I got that method from someplace else. Will execVM work on server side .sqf files?

ofcourse it will work....

nothing to do with client or serverside....

for short description, execVM will "execute" a script and call compile xxx will load (at normally) a function in a cache for multiple uses... u know ?

But anyway, your description about how to implement a map addition was right, just instead of the "call" :D

cheers

ofcourse it will work....

nothing to do with client or serverside....

for short description, execVM will "execute" a script and call compile xxx will load (at normally) a function in a cache for multiple uses... u know ?

But anyway, your description about how to implement a map addition was right, just instead of the "call" :D

cheers

Is there an advantage/disadvantage to using either method?

Is there an advantage/disadvantage to using either method?

Yes, somebody calls it "performance" :)

With usage of execVM, like i said...

Why you want to giving the server more things to process as needed...

That would be the disadvantage :D

So, map additions only should be execVM´d instead of compiled...

Or you use the method of "map".h, ofcourse :)

That's disorganized, adding stuff to the  map.h file. It's better to have all the  map addons self contained in a pbo. It also makes it easier when a new version of Epoch is released. Less editing.

It's anything but disorganized..

All you need in one file and eady to categorize in it. Spawnzones, structures, traders the whole shebang in one file :)

It's anything but disorganized..

All you need in one file and eady to categorize in it. Spawnzones, structures, traders the whole shebang in one file :)

Every time an Epoch update comes, you have to re-edit that file. Much better and more organized to leave the default files as they are and just add the pbo file.

*EDIT* Something else I should mention is that if you add the code to the .h file, I'm pretty sure you aren't able to place any objects at angles, like knocked over walls, or flipped over wrecks and you can't use the "follow terrain" option in the editor too. The .h file requires a format like this:

{"Land_CncBarrierMedium4_F", {5053.76, 6869.46, 0}, 297.301},

Making an .sqf and putting it into a pbo allows you to have more parameters:

["Land_CncBarrier_F",[6117.72,11418.4,0],36,[[0.587785,0.809017,0],[0,0,1]],false],

I could be wrong about this, but using the code format already in the .h file, you don't have the extra parameters you need to turn objects on their sides or follow terrain. I've never tried using the second code above in the .h file because I just automatically followed the code format already there. Assuming this is true, you can have results like this if you use the sqf/pbo method but not the .h method:

aShomX.jpg