Epoch Mod Installer/configurator

xoleum

Just throwing out an idea I'm considering.

As there are a lot of people having trouble getting Dayz mods working on Epoch, I thought it might be a good Idea to make a tool that can do the installation of mods for you. Now I'm not talking about covering every possible mod out there, but only the most popular ones, for instance tow/lift, custom debug monitor, self bloodbag, safezones and AI missions.

The Idea is basically that the mod installer gives the administrator of the server a list of supported mods, the admin then picks the ones he wants to add in this server. Then for every mod he gets a list of options (for instance: what stats to display on the debug monitor, or allow tow/lift for locked vehicles) and the mod installer just copies the neccesary files and makes alterations to script files where needed, basically as if the mod installer is following the instructions of a mod installation guide.

I think having a tool like this would slim down the number of "help it doesnt work (again)" threads on the forum.

Tell me what you think, would this be worth making?

-EDIT-
latest version
Epoch Mod Installer

Source

open bugs:
-custom compiles aren't linked in mission init.sqf. affects tow/lift disabling on locked vehicles and toggling of debug monitor (fixed, not released yet).

May be possible but very complicated, because scripts change with every mod you install so the installer have to consider that and essentially be able to read the scripts and don't just put it at the end of the file! Also with every Epoch update the file structure might change so it is not an easy task for a computer to install mods you need like to code an AI for installing mods or something! That is no joke :D

In my opinion it's harder then doing a completely new DayZ Mod :D

These scripts all come with very detailed instructions. opendayz.net is a great source. I learned everything about modifying my server simply by reading the topics. In my opinion, if you can't install these scripts with the directions provided with them, you have no place running a server or you should just ok with running a vanilla server.

In my opinion, if you can't install these scripts with the directions provided with them, you have no place running a server or you should just ok with running a vanilla server.

I disagree with that... I have come from knowing nothing about server modding to where i am now, Sure im not fantastic or even very good but i know abit. Just got to learn it.

Made a simple program that only covers a custom debug monitor. its in java, so the mod installer is packed as a jar file, should work if you have JRE installed.

It's meant to be used on vanilla server files.

Epoch Mod Installer outdated, see next post

Source outdated, see next post

I'd appreciate any feedback and suggestions as to what mods to add or what options to add to each mod.

Second prototype: added R3F tow/lift with settings for:
  -enable towing
    -small vehicles can tow (like motorcycles and ATV's)
    -smal vehicles can be towed
    -large vehicles can be towed (bus, URAL, etc)
    -helicopters can be towed
    -airplanes can be towed
    -boats can be towed

-enable lifting
    -small vehicles can be lifted
    -large vehicles can be lifted
    -airplanes can be lifted
    -helicopters can be lifted
    -boats can be lifted

-disable tow/lift for locked vehicles

It will also add the neccesary setpos exceptions to the battleye filter

Epoch Mod Installer

Source

Again, feedback is appreciated.

Next prototype is planned to have safezones, self bloodbag, take clothes and auto refuel at fuel stations. I expect these to be easy to add since there is not much to be altered to the mod itself like there is with tow/lift, just the option to install the mod.

-EDITS-
@ 15:00 - Found a bug while testing and fixed it
@ 16:10 - added togglable function to debug monitor

open bugs:

-custom compiles aren't linked in mission init.sqf. affects tow/lift disabling on locked vehicles and toggling of debug monitor (fixed, not released yet).

@xoleum: pretty good so far. I think that's a nice addition for people who have no knowledge of adding mods or something like that :D

I was just scrolling through the code and I was wondering why are you using swing that IS terrible lol. 

I understand if you are familiar with that your can use it, but I would suggest using JavaFX that is far better, faster and easier to customize to make it look "cool" with CSS files: http://docs.oracle.com/javafx/

Also there is a good UI designer for it, the Scene Builder: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javafx/tools/index.html

Maybe take a look if you don't already know that, it is pretty new but will replace swing sooner or later (the official successor of swing).

Just my 2 cents :)

@Axe Cop:
Thanks for the feedback, I'm currently more focused om making it do it's job rather than make it look good. I know about JavaFX but haven't used it yet so adding that will be like third priority, after testing/bugfixing and adding in features (For instance I just found out that the jar isn't packing the resources (text files) it needs to actually add the mods, so I figured I just pack them with the jar in a rar archive). I use Swing right now because I'm familiar with it and that makes development go faster.

• 4 weeks later...

Was wondering if it might be possible to get help with installation? I don't have all that much experience yet with coding and to be honest I have no idea where to place any of these files within the actual mission and server PBOs, so any help is greatly appreciated by this beginning developer. :D