Why is terrain detail forced so low?

Trauma

This is not an Epoch or ARMA issue.  This has to do with TERRAIN level forced by Battleye, not view distance or object distance.  This is a screenshot of the same area on my server with my client's TERRAIN level set to STANDARD, this does not happen when set to HIGH or VERY HIGH.

My guess is if you raise the terrain detail enforcement in BE to at least that of HIGH, problem solved.

2015_03_17_00001.jpg

This is not epoch specific. I have seen this on KOTH and other game modes as well. Raising object detail and view distance seems to fix it for me.

Does that work in Epoch though? I have my settings all the way up and still see it. I don't notice it as much in koth.

Does that work in Epoch though? I have my settings all the way up and still see it. I don't notice it as much in koth.

Does not work for Epoch.

Have the same settings in ARMA for KOTH, BP and Epoch but all missions/mods override with their own settings to some extent. I have terrain on ULTRA and visibility maxed since max is always a mod/mission setting anyway.

Some KOTH servers have a little of this issue and some none, Breaking Point has not this issue. But on all official servers I have tried its been really bad. WTP, GPDE and another I dont remember the name of.

Hope Osiris solution fixes this.

I believe BIS are on to this please refer Latest SITREP http://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00098

---cut---

In an attempt to fix long-lasting graphics glitches on various weapon optics, our programmers have introduced new technology for collimators. Besides fixing the glitches, it also enhances the parallax effect on certain weapon sights.

---cut---

^^^ Well there you go, if the BE filter is set to 25 (standard) then you'll get floating rocks even at 600m, maybe closer.  Maybe the devs should set it to 12.5 because my guess is server admins just use the defaults shipped with the server code.  

From what I understand the FPS lost going from standard to high is either none or minimal.

Makes sence that it would be BattleEye locking this as terrain smoothing and grass draw distance are linked together, BE will just be trying to stop people from turning their grass off and thus gaining a small advantage. What would be great is if BI could separate terrain smothing from grass draw distance, but untill that happens I think a much higher TerrainGrid setting needs to be forced, something like 10 or less. I personally would prefer 3.125 (Ultra).

If you check AWOL's post on the first page, he states that the terrainGrid value is enforced in the Antihack.  Infistar has a similar setting which server admins can edit, which probably explains why it's "better" on some servers and "worse" on others.   Many admins probably don't even know what it does or how it's significant so they leave it at default.  I'm sure if we ask real nice Skaronator may be willing to include it as an editable option for a future stock AH release.   ;)

While I understand the desire to have the most optimal visual fidelity at long distances, I caution folks against setting the value up too high.  YOU might have a rig that only shows a 5FPS difference between default and Ultra, but some of your guests may not.  Forcing them to an Ultra value may result in poor performance, thereby costing you a player since that person will go play on another server which doesn't have "lag".  

Yeah I wouldn't go above High as a minimum if a single value has to be forced

If possible it would be best to set a minimum (like right now at 25) and allow the client to increase it to levels above that.  Then you get into the issue of setting higher is actually a disadvantage, because the ground clutter draws further and you can't see players on the other side of hills etc.  Players will possibly not see the same things.   But at least make it a choice, there is no advantage to those setting it higher.

Yeah I wouldn't go above High as a minimum if a single value has to be forced

If possible it would be best to set a minimum (like right now at 25) and allow the client to increase it to levels above that.  Then you get into the issue of setting higher is actually a disadvantage, because the ground clutter draws further and you can't see players on the other side of hills etc.  Players will possibly not see the same things.   But at least make it a choice, there is no advantage to those setting it higher.

It should def be a choice. I can take some disadvantages for running in a prettier landscape.  

Have already been hiding in bushes that don´t draw on many peoples machines since the start and can take not being able to look into peoples bases thru mountains or see behind rocks.

Yes, I learned very quickly that a bush is the last place I should hide.    I'm just glad it's a simple fix and not an Arma 3 issue, would be nice if that change when in before the update goes public, because getting most server admins to change something from default is like pulling teeth

The terrain isn't forced low. That's what happens when your object view distance is set higher than your actual view distance. Turn your objects view distance down to solve this issue, make sure it matches your view distance. Actually, the server should have a set view and object view distance to prevent possible exploits, such as seeing people through terrain.

^^^ sigh....no, please don't make statements without presenting evidence.

On Mells just now, unfortunately dark, but you can see it happens with view distance 12000 and object distance maxed at 1600.  I don't know why object detail is maxed at 1600 on Mells, probably another BE filter, but it makes no difference at ~600m

2015_03_18_00003.jpg

My Settings:

2015_03_18_00002.jpg

My own server

2015_03_18_00004.jpg

Settings:

2015_03_18_00005.jpg

And now the changes that make a difference:

2015_03_18_00006.jpg

2015_03_18_00007.jpg

And Finally, my object and view distance maxed with standard terrain detail:

2015_03_18_00009.jpg

Well, vbawol said it himself that it is set to 25 in the antihack...I assumed that was BE.  We know from another post that 25 equates to a standard terrain detail level.  Seems like a simple fix to change that to 12.5 (high).  But as a senior systems engineer, I appreciate the ramifications of assumptions. :)

We've done what vbawol requested that we test on an official server and have reproduced the problem and also demonstrated that is doesn't happen on basic Arma 3 servers and the effect of changing the terrain level.  

We just have to wait for the devs to respond.

Trauma, what server are you playing on? I have never noticed this, nor has it been reported before on any of our official test servers so I am thinking this maybe server specific. 

In Epoch, the only place we touch setTerrainGrid is in our Anti-Hack and it is simply forced to 25 like default for MP.

OP, please test on one of our official servers to confirm that this is an issue with the mod and not just something a server admin has done.

TerrainGrid values for Arma 3 1.34:
Low = 50 (NoGrass)
Standard = 25
High = 12.5
Very High = 6.25
Ultra = 3.125

Source : https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setTerrainGrid

Also anyone tryed this : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?185976-CH-View-Distance-Addon

• 3 weeks later...

Bump can we get a response from the Dev's please?

Are we stuck with it?

Can we change our client to match - What are the values?

is there a server side config change

BE / Anti Hack App settings?

This is the biggest problem in this mod right now.

From my testing:

View distance = distance ground will render

Object view distance = distance objects (like trees) will render

Terrain grid = amount of grass and terrain detail (far off terrain renders better with this at a lower value, 25+ it starts causing issues

any chance of a response to this , we now know that the BE terrain detail is set too low and thus gives floating rocks/vegetation and unrendered ground at elevation.

can someone please either confirm or not that the BE filter will be forced to 12.5 or in the very least let it be server admins choice , this is the one thing that really kills the game for me.

Would this be considered an arma bug and ticket-able, or is it just "how it works" when terrain detail is turned too low?

Either way, in the meantime BE should be forcing a MINIMUM of "high" terrain detail, not a maximum .. you know, so that people aren't cheating other players by turning it down?