A common theme here

BenR

Some examples of my work:

So, take away Epoch, and now what have you got?

Take away all the Epoch code, and how many servers do you fill?

You have tons of "OverPoch" which you know very well is a fusion of Epoch and some bits and bobs (weapons mainly) that you did not create. That people who come to your servers pay for, none of that money go to the original authors/script writers.

And again, you take pride in that. Again, make a mod of your own that reaches the same success level, and I'd be impressed.

More than you ;)

Are you going to continue to attack me?

Oh that's an "attack" in your world? When someone states facts?

Do you seriously live in a world with so many lies and delusions that a fact is provocative to the extent that it's an attack?

No no the Server files so that I can host my own Private EMOD Server and edit and such. Just like you and I both got here at Epoch. 

Emod is a plugin mod to be used with any other mod (including epoch), all you have to do is add the mod to the server (just like any other mod), then edit the precompile.sqf to do whatever you like with it.

The truth is, a lot of people here who say they want a "discussion" or "things looked at" around "constructive criticism" don't really want that at all, they want to stir things up because they thrive on other peoples frustration. A lot of people here are waiting, hoping for the next thing the Epoch devs created, to then spend their time to nitpick it apart. 

Unfortunately some people who actually do provide good feedback and REAL constructive feedback that's actually useful to the project gets ignored, and that needs to be looked at. But be under no delusion that there are people here who would actually take pleasure in the demise of the mod and its community more than its success.

Regardless of their guise.

The truth is, a lot of people here who say they want a "discussion" or "things looked at" around "constructive criticism" don't really want that at all, they want to stir things up because they thrive on other peoples frustration. A lot of people here are waiting, hoping for the next thing the Epoch devs created, to then spend their time to nitpick it apart. 

Unfortunately some people who actually do provide good feedback and REAL constructive feedback that's actually useful to the project gets ignored, and that needs to be looked at. But be under no delusion that there are people here who would actually take pleasure in the demise of the mod and its community more than its success.

Regardless of their guise.

If you believe this then stop continuing on a discussion, don't know if you realize but you're one of the people fueling this discussion.

And yet is has always been said Epoch is a mod for the community...

instead off having a go at macca (M3Editor2)  how about lets try and get this man on board cus its obvious his ideas are the shiz.  A++  just a shame its locked to CCG servers only though :-( 

There was a big "discussion" regarding redis vs mysql. Im fairly certain that was ignored completely...

and im sure there are countless other examples were legitimate points are raised only to be ignored. My take of the rose-tinted glasses and have a look around the forums and you will see.

Its a common theme that has been around along time. Everyone seems to forget, Epoch was made popular by the servers running it.

I know of that discussion, it's been iterated over and over again. And I know for a fact that the devs look at it, as one of them (axeman) actually addressed one of the latter threads there.

Perhaps you should do something about your own glasses, they seem to filter out vital information.

instead off having a go at macca (M3Editor2)  how about lets try and get this man on board cus its obvious his ideas are the shiz.  A++  just a shame its locked to CCG servers only though :-( 

That will never work. The ideals of both groups is too far away from one another to ever work with one another. 

He was, then got dropped like anyone that actually makes a difference around here

Your post are so informative. You shed so much light by your post. Everything makes so much more sense now. For real. I was wondering where the hostility came from with your group. This makes sense now. 

I know of that discussion, it's been iterated over and over again. And I know for a fact that the devs look at it, as one of them (axeman) actually addressed one of the latter threads there.

Perhaps you should do something about your own glasses, they seem to filter out vital information.

Again, continuing on the conversation

Well a few points were raised regarding IO, blah blah none of the counter point were listened too, as always they were disregarded.

The devs have never considered the people running there mod when features are implemented. Which is fine barring the fact Epoch has always been painted by the devs as a community mod.

Have they? I dunno.

I know they said so about DayZ:Epoch, but have they said so about the Arma 3 mod? I know there were some discussions about different licenses and that it would be different, ie. that they will not be looking at integrating the works of other devs (like weapon packs, etc.) perhaps you read those too? Some people seem to be under the impression that Arma 3 Epoch is the same as DayZ:Epoch, but like Axle said probably 10-15 times, they are licensed differently and with that follows a different philosophy.

The devs have never considered the people running there mod when features are implemented. Which is fine barring the fact Epoch has always been painted by the devs as a community mod.

This is the main point that we're trying to communicate, none of this community bashing and random crap thats just a waste of time. The fact is, epoch was built by the community, what COMMUNITY forums are we on again?

Instead of just complaining about anything that is mentioned against the devs' plans, maybe hear people out and actually think about what they're saying

This is the main point that we're trying to communicate, none of this community bashing and random crap thats just a waste of time. The fact is, epoch was built by the community, what COMMUNITY forums are we on again?

Instead of just complaining about anything that is mentioned against the devs' plans, maybe hear people out and actually think about what they're saying

Again. Listening to/paying attention to the community is not the same thing as doing exactly what the community says. 

Again. Listening to/paying attention to the community is not the same thing as doing exactly what the community says.

I get that, but completely discarding something mentioned seems rather pointless, there are people who want to help out and suggest things (using the mysql vs redis debate as an example) that might be beneficial.

The devs are considering things I know, the trader system re-work is evidence of this as the community wanted the option to change prices and add things, so it was made possible without having to modify dlls and bypass things, maybe some more inspiration could be taken from the community.

I get that, but completely discarding something mentioned seems rather pointless, there are people who want to help out and suggest things (using the mysql vs redis debate as an example) that might be beneficial.

The devs are considering things I know, the trader system re-work is evidence of this as the community wanted the option to change prices and add things, so it was made possible without having to modify dlls and bypass things, maybe some more inspiration could be taken from the community.

I know for a fact that AWOL does read the forums, but as I've experienced myself, once you start a discussion hours whoosh by and in the end people don't change their opinions. Some like option A and some like option B, in some cases it is clear cut who prefers option A before option B, and in some cases that's what the devs go with, in other cases it's not. 

The thing is, even if AWOL spent a bunch of time interacting and writing a motivation for why he decided to go with redis, it won't change the opinion of Havoc or who else disagreed with the choice. Regardless of what advantages were iterated (by AWOL via axeman) people kept saying the same things over and over and over, in some cases it's not very productive to discuss certain things. Personally I can understand why they went with Redis, it is a lot simpler to get going than MySQL and out of the box it is faster. MySQL can get just as fast if you configure it properly too, but in the end we are where we are. 

Also, some of the people who want MySQL are completely ignoring the fact that rewriting the mod to support MySQL all over again is going to be a lot of time wasted where other things are a priority.

Again, I have been volunteering to help out with community interaction for the sake of transparency, but if it isn't already obvious by now, I clearly am not going to be viewed at by the CCG/MGT-crews and supporters as someone they'd want to interact with them. Whether I approve or disapprove of certain things related to the mod.

We take a lot of inspiration from the community, that is where I started and the place we still live in. To be honest, if we made every change request we would be forever swapping back and forth between differing opinions of every aspect of a very early Alpha mod. This is why we are building in the means to ultimately have a vast array of options from a mod that has depth of game and playability.

Modifying and bypassing is a coders bread and butter, how else are we to learn ?

We take a lot of inspiration from the community, that is where I started and the place we still live in. To be honest, if we made every change request we would be forever swapping back and forth between differing opinions of every aspect of a very early Alpha mod. This is why we are building in the means to ultimately have a vast array of options from a mod that has depth of game and playability.

Modifying and bypassing is a coders bread and butter, how else are we to learn ?

Said something very similiar to this earlier.