How do you hide / protect your heli?

Osiris72

My group has found several helis lately and while it's really cool transportation and the sling loading is nice, but with the difficulty in hiding it and the short lock time I don't see us possessing a heli for the long term.  I think most just fly them to a trader and sell to build their bank accounts.

I've seen bases where people land them on elevated platforms, but that's still vulnerable and highly visible.

I've seen pics of camo netting in Arma 2 epoch, can something like this be implemented to cover helis?

How do you guys protect the helis?

I had this same issue; and this is what I came up with:
Find a warehouse

Build some foundations approximately 2/3 of a player high
Build a floor on it.

Build a staircase on that.
Upgrade it, so it now has a top platform, this should be about the same height as the roof
Build a second floor piece that over laps the first to make a ramp.
Walk up your new staircase and Build a wall on the edge facing the warehouse.
Repeat for the sides
Upgrade all walls to metal.
Upgrade first wall to a lockable door.

Park your heli on the NON wall side of the roof.

I'll get a quick video of mine when I get home, pictures/video will explain this a lot better.

edit: I found one in my online screenshots, but I will get a better one tonight:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/28478166652501440/05F8510ED0A793CF6198DCAB6FD3755DF84718A7/

I had this same issue; and this is what I came up with:

Find a warehouse

Build some foundations approximately 2/3 of a player high

Build a floor on it.

Build a staircase on that.

Upgrade it, so it now has a top platform, this should be about the same height as the roof

Build a second floor piece that over laps the first to make a ramp.

Walk up your new staircase and Build a wall on the edge facing the warehouse.

Repeat for the sides

Upgrade all walls to metal.

Upgrade first wall to a lockable door.

Park your heli on the NON wall side of the roof.

I'll get a quick video of mine when I get home, pictures/video will explain this a lot better.

edit: I found one in my online screenshots, but I will get a better one tonight:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/28478166652501440/05F8510ED0A793CF6198DCAB6FD3755DF84718A7/

thats a crazy base man, nice.

but if someone with a heli saw yours could they drop a guy off and take it?

That's an excellent setup man.  Do you have problems with people coming by  and wrecking the heli with gunfire?

My thing is people spotting the chopper itself from the air or ground and therefore finding the base.  A way to camo them with nets would be sweet :)

if you can get to the top of a chopper you can steal it very easy, I have a vid of a player parking his heli on a high rise with all access disabled, the top was only big enough for his heli... we still stole it.

Hover over it and let your passenger get out onto the rotor bladed and he will slide down next to it of if you're quick you can unlock it and get in.

I only use the Merlin/Mohawk and I build a hanger with a roof, yes a roof, 2.5 walls high, with 5x6 floors I build 3 sides fully and then on the opening for the heli I build 2 walls 2 high, a gap or steel door, then another 2 walls 2 walls high. this leaves a slit at the top where the rotor blades fit through and I park the heli in there and close the door once I am out, you cannot steel it without blowing it it, the roof has a gap in the top for the tail rotor.

I then put foundations on the roof 2 sets high so you cant land on it and build is a foundation above the ground with a perimeter wall and 3 doors so you cant get direct access to it without blowing up 3 walls :)

Easiest solution is just have a frequency jammer (in your base or somewhere very secure or well hidden) and just put a stud wall through the rotors. You will have to remove the stud wall before you try to take off... but then the only way for someone to steal it is to destroy your jammer. If your jammer is well protected that won't be an issue. They can still blow it up... but they will never be able to steal it without taking out that jammer. 

Also, put some walls around it in such a way that they can't use another vehicle to push it away from your rotor block.

Yes, with a parachute it is possible.

we tried landing another heli there, if you park in the middle the blades are far enough out to stop another landing next to it.

You can always use a heli, bigger than Hummingbird, get an ATV and someone as driver of the ATV, then attach the ATV to your heli's sling and you can get the dude in anywhere. 

William I think you have just exposed a glitch that people really shouldn't see! it gives us admins a headache trying to stop this and dealing with the aftermath!

Edit, I was thinking you were doing this to get them through the roof and into the base, like in arma2 forgot about the physics bit

Really? I've never seen it in my 35 years of life and ive seen some pretty amazing things ;)

It's true though. You won't see the person attached to the quad bike, but they are just holding the rope and are lowered into openings and such. Until fast ropes comes this is the way of creativity.

I have noticed people are getting more and more creative with helis. People are using carrying vehcles to help in raiding bases, I've seen people use parachutes in order to drop in bases. Most creative way i have seen so far in protecting a heli is create a platform for your heli in the air using floors and foundations. Land the heli and remove surrounding floor pieces so it's impossible to stand next to the heli (of coarse depending on the size of heli). Those people that try to parachute next to heli will just fall off and die and there is no way for someone to be "dropped off" next to heli. It's very tricky to accomplish and you need to be sure that your heli is on a single floor piece when landing. 

Although even this way there is around about to still steal. It's tricky though :P 

Safe heli in the air?

Shoot from the back ramp of a Mohawk or on the side of a Little Bird and destroy it

No more heli

I'm surprised the stud wall through the rotor would work as well.. One Server restart and the heli moves = kabooom.

The only viable solution I see is when you log off go to a trader that is out of the way and sell it.  Log back in and buy it back.

Rent-a-heli seems like the only thing to do right now.

That or just go fly to some remote area that very few would travel and park it on the grass and hope it doesn't get spotted.

I've used a foundation around the rotors to "lock it".  You have to be careful because, like Brez mentioned, at restart it can  blow up if it's too close.  On my server I don't allow folks to blow up vehicles parked at bases just for the lols. I find that to be too trolly, better to spend that energy hunting actual players. 

• 2 weeks later...