Idea: Weapon malfunction

Tobias Solem

Why did you think that particular part was specifically addressed to you personally? If I wanted to attack you personally I would do it in quite a different way. For example:

"You are a whiny little bitch sponge."

Now that would've been personal.

I was speaking in general terms. A lot of people treat Epoch like a call of duty-type shooter (with all right, it is after all a sandbox game). There however are aspects that will make their lives more difficult as they will have to deal with things like "hunger", "thirst", "gathering supplies", etc. all of which makes a survival sandbox game.

I also believe that weapon degradation should be a part of this.

because you replied with carets (upwards pointing arrows) which means you are refering to me or the person who posted above you,

i am not a kid and i dont play call of duty thanks all the same.

because you replied with carets (upwards pointing arrows) which means you are refering to me or the person who posted above you,

i am not a kid and i dont play call of duty thanks all the same.

^^ is a smiley/emoticon indicating arched brows, not some form of indicator toward your post. (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emoticons )

Can we move on to the subject now?

The idea is kinda growing on me.

It would be nice to find a weapon and have to decide whether to replace it due to current wear. It would also be nice to be leaving behind a damaged weapon (not sure on open item spawn life) for the next guy, rather than everything being pristine... it is a little like a candy shop at the moment. I am just worried about the 1000 sledgehammer strikes at this so called rock lol

The idea is kinda growing on me.

It would be nice to find a weapon and have to decide whether to replace it due to current wear. It would also be nice to be leaving behind a damaged weapon (not sure on open item spawn life) for the next guy, rather than everything being pristine... it is a little like a candy shop at the moment. I am just worried about the 1000 sledgehammer strikes at this so called rock lol

It would of course be nice if we could have external factors affect weapons as well, for example if you go swim in the natrium-rich ocean with your weapon, or get killed and plunge 30m down onto rocks, those things should have some effects on your guns as well, rather than a perfect rifle after the fact.

I remember when I was doing my military service, making the mistake of shoving my barrel into the ground as I fell for cover, trying to get the muzzle and barrel free of dirt. It isn't exactly always ideal conditions you're dealing with in Epoch, and while certainly some assault rifles are tried and tested for less than optimal conditions, there are also some weapons that aren't constructed for running around and dumping them on the ground over and over and over (For example 50cal rifles being carried and ran around with seems almost comedic - I've fired the Swedish 50cal AG90, and by no means do I wish to use it as it currently is used in Epoch). 

Hey me again.  I would state that Navy Seals do in fact swim to their destination quite often and when they get there their weapons go boom (as in fire not explode).  I could understand the plunge 30m down onto the rocks but I should point out 2 things about that as well.  1st go watch "Lone survivor" if those guns can take that then i think we shouldn't have an issue (however they definitely did have jams shown during the movie mostly due to the way the weapons were handled which was not their fault).  2nd how would one suggest making a system to determine how damaged a weapon should be.  I mean the situation in "Lone Survivor" they only had jams and those weapons (and people) went through hell.  I guess what I am trying to say is that the actual implementation of a mechanic such as this would produce to many incidences where there wouldnt be in real life (and I know this is a game but the point of this change is to make gun handling and usage more realistic).

Also there is no real way to simulate jamming a gun into the dirt in arma so that is kind of out the window unfortunately.

As a side note Im not trying to harp on you fisk.  Its just I have seen games try to do this and it does not often come out the way that it should have.  Generally if this was tried you would have one of two things that would happen.  Either it would be coded in and it would never really happen (except VERY rarely) or it would happen so often that it would be implausible.

PS I wish they had a mcdonalds in the witcher 3 and actually i hope they have some in dragon age inquisiton.  Where else would I get my Big Mac on while slaying things :P

Gathering food and drink might also be considered "a pain in the ass", but it's still a part of the game. Having tons of weaponry randomly in churches and everywhere will mean that some may have been well-maintained, whereas others may have been in a pile of mud for months, and the game should reflect that dynamic. Finding 100% fresh and new guns that work 100% of the time kind of diminishes the authenticity aspect.

And while I agree that a well-maintained weapon should work 99% of the time, my point is that the guns you find not necessarily are well maintained, have been properly stored and handled, etc. - as you may have noticed there's been two years after a mass-extinction of mankind, and the chaos that ensued will mean that there's gonna be some stuff that have been ill treated.

Yeah breaking point has this and it isn't that cool man it just makes weapons have a higher quality of accuracy and for the time it would take to make this type of addition they could go from 0.3 to 0.4

Hey me again.  I would state that Navy Seals do in fact swim to their destination quite often and when they get there their weapons go boom (as in fire not explode).  I could understand the plunge 30m down onto the rocks but I should point out 2 things about that as well.  1st go watch "Lone survivor" if those guns can take that then i think we shouldn't have an issue (however they definitely did have jams shown during the movie mostly due to the way the weapons were handled which was not their fault).  2nd how would one suggest making a system to determine how damaged a weapon should be.  I mean the situation in "Lone Survivor" they only had jams and those weapons (and people) went through hell.  I guess what I am trying to say is that the actual implementation of a mechanic such as this would produce to many incidences where there wouldnt be in real life (and I know this is a game but the point of this change is to make gun handling and usage more realistic).

Also there is no real way to simulate jamming a gun into the dirt in arma so that is kind of out the window unfortunately.

As a side note Im not trying to harp on you fisk.  Its just I have seen games try to do this and it does not often come out the way that it should have.  Generally if this was tried you would have one of two things that would happen.  Either it would be coded in and it would never really happen (except VERY rarely) or it would happen so often that it would be implausible.

PS I wish they had a mcdonalds in the witcher 3 and actually i hope they have some in dragon age inquisiton.  Where else would I get my Big Mac on while slaying things :P

Again, it all depends on the make and model of the weapon, an AR-15 for example will pretty much explode if you try to fire it after it has been in ANY water (unless you maintain it/clear the barrel of water etc.), let alone salt water. Exposing these metal alloys to something as destructive as salt water once may be fine, as long as you MAINTAIN your weapon, and that's the exact feature I suggested. If you keep going into adverse conditions and DON'T maintain your weapon it will start acting up sooner or later.

In the video below we see an example of an HK-416 vs. an AR-15, both maintained, dipped in water, raised above water, and then fired. If there's water blocking the barrel, it, or the chamber is likely to explode.

There's plenty of evidence to be found supporting this based on simple chemistry. Salt water basically corrodes pretty much any metal unless properly maintained, and again. The feature I suggest is about just that. I have seen the movie Lone Survivor, but I would never use Hollywood as a source for anything, yet I doubt that Navy Seals DON'T maintain their weapons. My army experience was that we cleaned our guns properly after every fire exercise (in the beginning to learn how to do it efficiently, after a year; to be as certain as possible that the rifle would fire in a dangerous situation). Of course a gun used in optimal condition and used and fired during optimal conditions will work nearly 100% of the time, but none of the circumstances in Epoch are optimal, and it narrows down to HOW adverse you make the changes - IF something like this is implemented, it needs to be done so as to have a minimal impact; at least to begin with.

I used the Lone survivor reference because it was based on real events and the man that survived it was part of the filming thus adding more realism than most films.  I dont believe everything may have happened exactly that way.  The guns could have gone through worse or slightly better conditions but it was the point that after falling over sheer drops that the guns still functioned.  Or at least that is his portrayal of what happened and I dont plan on doing anything of the sort with my weapons to test out what would really happen.

Also the tests between the colt and HK are moot.  They are both the same type of gun but the operating system is completely different.  Note the colt has the gas blowback system where as the HK is a piston operating system.  Of course when you fill the gas blowback system with water and you dont let it properly drain then its going to blow up in your face.  And unless Im mistaken the MX in game (an ACR variant) is also a piston driven system.  Not even sure about the katiba though. 

The point Im making with this post is that yes if exposed to salt water and not cleaned a barrel will corrode but think about it this way.  How long does one actually live in game?  Often it is less than 24hrs and that is nowhere near enough time for a gun to corrode to the point of having a malfunction.  Also how often does one really go into the water unless diving.  These may seem like arbitrary points but all in all they do matter.  Of course if I had my gun anywhere near salt water I would strip it down and clean it as soon as possible but just coming into contact with the water doesnt make the gun ineffective.

I used the Lone survivor reference because it was based on real events and the man that survived it was part of the filming thus adding more realism than most films.  I dont believe everything may have happened exactly that way.  The guns could have gone through worse or slightly better conditions but it was the point that after falling over sheer drops that the guns still functioned.  Or at least that is his portrayal of what happened and I dont plan on doing anything of the sort with my weapons to test out what would really happen.

Also the tests between the colt and HK are moot.  They are both the same type of gun but the operating system is completely different.  Note the colt has the gas blowback system where as the HK is a piston operating system.  Of course when you fill the gas blowback system with water and you dont let it properly drain then its going to blow up in your face.  And unless Im mistaken the MX in game (an ACR variant) is also a piston driven system.  Not even sure about the katiba though. 

The point Im making with this post is that yes if exposed to salt water and not cleaned a barrel will corrode but think about it this way.  How long does one actually live in game?  Often it is less than 24hrs and that is nowhere near enough time for a gun to corrode to the point of having a malfunction.  Also how often does one really go into the water unless diving.  These may seem like arbitrary points but all in all they do matter.  Of course if I had my gun anywhere near salt water I would strip it down and clean it as soon as possible but just coming into contact with the water doesnt make the gun ineffective.

YOU might live for 24hrs, but the gun doesn't die.

So basically you're wanting to track the degradation of all the weapons on the whole server and modify them on a consistent basis as they are used.  Just doesnt seem a smart use of resources.  Also true about the gun continuing on in the server.  However, I would like to know how my whole body disappeared last night within seconds of dying it seems.  Damage was self inflicted but it was irksome (and not on topic).  Anyway with guns getting tracked I just dont see the point of it. In my OPINION I just see to many negatives to attempt this whole scheme.  But alas the decision does not involve with me :P

I think the game is already complicated enough and that more complexity doesn't need to be added in terms of guns. Never been in the mod before and I don't think there is a place for it now. I think it is too realistic and if you made the guns super realistic, it would feel weird without everything else being super realistic. Personally, the aspects of finds guns, ammo, and attachments is already enough for me and I wouldn't like to have to maintain the guns as well.