To the Devs - Please stay on the path you are currently on!

ficarra1002

I am seeing a LOT of posts on here saying stuff like "X isn't realisitic" or "I hate the new enemies, bring back zombies" and so on and so on.

Please ignore these people. Please do. I really love the break from zombies, and the "We take ourselves seriously, super realism" and the constant rehashing of other mods (DayZ for example.)

Please, let A3 epoch be your original creation, I've been playing it for ~8 hours now and have loved it way more than A2 epoch. We don't need another DayZ rehash, and you guys seem to have some great ideas. Don't change them because of a few people wanting A3 DayZ Epoch.

I honestly disagree with this post. You say "I really love the break from zombies", yet there are exploding ZOMBIES (just because they label them sappers doesnt change what they essentially are, brain-dead AI that only mindlessly attack.)

You were half right, many people were excited when they heard Epoch was going to 'move away' from zombies and towards other antagonists. Many people were also extremely disappointed to find out that they instead opted to have silly suicidal exploding zombies, and lame UAVs that only the newest of players are challenged by.

Also, the 'Rock God' thing they are working on is a complete joke. This is not what people wanted, people wanted IMMERSIVE antagonists, like AI that defend a fort, ROAMING bears/wolfs that attack players (not just dogs). There are so many things they could do and all these EXPLODING zombies, silly grim reaper characters, and lack-luster AI spawning from extremely easy-to-kill and avoid UAVs is NOT the direction I feel like they were trying to convince people they were going in.

Also, the medical system and vehicle repair system is an absolute joke. What happened to needing to find specific repair parts for your car? What happened to blood bags, epipens to revive and bandages? Bleeding isn't even noticable anymore, and really is hardly a thing.

It is sad to see how simplified and dumbed down this version of Epoch is, I REALLY hope these things are just placeholders and they are going to realize their mistake.

Remove the multitool completely
Add specific vehicle repair parts

Add specific medical supplies (bandages/blood bags/antibiotics)
Remove exploding zombies

Remove grim reaper

Scrap the 'Rock God' idea

Add interesting AI, like HUMANS that defend/roam/attack player bases, REAL animals!

Seriously guys!!

I honestly disagree with this post. You say "I really love the break from zombies", yet there are exploding ZOMBIES (just because they label them sappers doesnt change what they essentially are, brain-dead AI that only mindlessly attack.)

You were half right, many people were excited when they heard Epoch was going to 'move away' from zombies and towards other antagonists. Many people were also extremely disappointed to find out that they instead opted to have silly suicidal exploding zombies, and lame UAVs that only the newest of players are challenged by.

Also, the 'Rock God' thing they are working on is a complete joke. This is not what people wanted, people wanted IMMERSIVE antagonists, like AI that defend a fort, ROAMING bears/wolfs that attack players (not just dogs). There are so many things they could do and all these EXPLODING zombies, silly grim reaper characters, and lack-luster AI spawning from extremely easy-to-kill and avoid UAVs is NOT the direction I feel like they were trying to convince people they were going in.

Also, the medical system and vehicle repair system is an absolute joke. What happened to needing to find specific repair parts for your car? What happened to blood bags, epipens to revive and bandages? Bleeding isn't even noticable anymore, and really is hardly a thing.

It is sad to see how simplified and dumbed down this version of Epoch is, I REALLY hope these things are just placeholders and they are going to realize their mistake.

Remove exploding zombies

Remove grim reaper

Add interesting AI, like HUMANS that defend/roam/attack player bases, REAL animals!

Seriously guys!

I have to say all of those your suggestions sounds good. Multigun makes things a bit boring at the moment and also prefer to have some roaming AI humans over monsters. 

Remove exploding zombies

Remove grim reaper

Seriously guys!!

They already said the multigun is a placeholder, do your research.

I am seeing a LOT of posts on here saying stuff like "X isn't realisitic" or "I hate the new enemies, bring back zombies" and so on and so on.

Please ignore these people. Please do. I really love the break from zombies, and the "We take ourselves seriously, super realism" and the constant rehashing of other mods (DayZ for example.)

Please, let A3 epoch be your original creation, I've been playing it for ~8 hours now and have loved it way more than A2 epoch. We don't need another DayZ rehash, and you guys seem to have some great ideas. Don't change them because of a few people wanting A3 DayZ Epoch.

Different strokes for different folks. The proof will be in the pudding when communities are allowed to mod the files.

The Tron bike riding giant rock monster will be laser zapping his way through some servers, and on others there maybe just AI soldiers and conventional vehicles.

As a consumer we can chose which type of Epoch to play. I know which I prefer, but I'm always opened to be turned.

Remove exploding zombies

Remove grim reaper

Seriously guys!!

All except multitool are wrong game. I think it's much better that epoch dev team tries to do as much as possible , dumbing it down to just realistic stuff (which is what Arma team have already been doing) is not the best creativity you can do. In the end when the server files are released, you are going to have every game type you can imagine. It's much better that Epoch has taken totally new approach to this game. so in the end it will bring new ideas to the table and people can refine them as much as they like. For example that golem guy could be modified to mechs and go even futher to the future etc.. 

Remove exploding zombies

Remove grim reaper

Seriously guys!!

i also agree, just because they are called sappers or whatever and look weird with the arma 3 surroundings, but lets not forget its still close alpha , part of testing means that they can still look at adding other stuff and removing stuff that dont work. I just hope server admins will have an easy option to remove or enable different elements.

Demons sounds good though so that the zombies have now turned into demons, but i would also like to add that if they dont add anything will still be fun, the building system epoch offers along with cool AI missions and fighting other players is more than enough to keep me playing the mod 

I too like the new direction. While the sapper may be similar to zombies they're just one of many mobs planned. If you've heard the devs talk about mobs in their streams, you'd know that their heads are in the right place. They're looking to put in place a variety of antagonist to affect gameplay in a number of ways, some of which may be constantly changing(like limited time mobs(which is a pimp idea)). Early alpha is also key here and Constructive criticism is what will make this mod great, but at this point I feel it's too early to start calling what for sure is lame or otherwise.

I like it.  The UAV-spawning-AI is a neat trick, and most refreshing.  

Especially when newly-spawned in on a new server and only have a .45 1911 with a single magazine.

And shot it down with one well-placed shot.

Another time I thought "screw it" and let the UAV call in the AI who pretty much shot me to shreds.  Gonna take teamwork for that bit.

We are Epoch, not DayZ. If you define Epoch you will understand. Those that don't can go play DayZ.

Many players LEFT DayZ to play Epoch because they liked the base building features of the mod.

They didn't start playing Epoch for exploding zombies, grim reapers, rock-gods, and other mythical additions. They weren't in Epoch for Arma 2 and people LOVED Epoch for Arma 2.

Maybe there is a lot of people who want these mythical things and simplified mechanics, but I am simply stating the opinion that I know I, and many other people I play with have. We came for the base building, the emmersion, and most of all we came for the PvP. I realize how that might sound to those who are into PvE, but there isn't any AI out there that has the replay value of a real living opponent. PvE should be secondary and complimentary to PvP because of that, and exploding zombies that interrupt combat the same way the old zombies did is a real issue.

Add randomly spawned human AI that roam the map, attack players, attack player bases that are big enough, you could even have groups of them that don't attack players unless fired upon. There are so many variations that I'm sure you have thought of, that don't have to be completely unrealistic. They could interrupt combat just like the exploding zombies do, but it would make so much more sense and wouldn't feel so.... silly.

I am only saying this to be constructive, I love Epoch and almost all the work you guys have done. I truly feel I have to voice the opinion of those who think these mythical and simplified things are silly and detract from this great mod. You don't need these gimmicky mythical additions, the mod stands on its own without them!

I like it.  The UAV-spawning-AI is a neat trick, and most refreshing.  

Especially when newly-spawned in on a new server and only have a .45 1911 with a single magazine.

And shot it down with one well-placed shot.

Another time I thought "screw it" and let the UAV call in the AI who pretty much shot me to shreds.  Gonna take teamwork for that bit.

It's a bit to predictable.. You hear a uaz shoot it and no AI.  lacks the element of surprise but it's a good start and they are working with what they have currently done.

Hopefully the full game will allow server owners to choose which antagonists they want on their servers, and if this is so, the more antagonists the dev's create, the better. Same goes for futuristic vehicles and tools. However, if the mythical stuff is forced upon Epoch hosts, then those that don't like them will have to move on. I'd liken it to casting a wider net in the pool of PC gaming.

Whatever happens though, I'm sticking with it until at least full release.

Hopefully the full game will allow server owners to choose which antagonists they want on their servers, and if this is so, the more antagonists the dev's create, the better. Same goes for futuristic vehicles and tools. However, if the mythical stuff is forced upon Epoch hosts, then those that don't like them will have to move on. I'd liken it to casting a wider net in the pool of PC gaming.

Whatever happens though, I'm sticking with it until at least full release.

Yea ditto.  I'm gonna be hopeful it has some elements of it's predecessor.

Sure looks good but that's really Arma3 providing the eye candy.

suggestion: Rabid dogs/sheep/chickens who are infected maybe and will attack players.. Pesky buggers   :)

Also the developers this may/may not be a good suggestion but I've always wondered if varying level of AI skills could be put in the mod.

AI roaming could vary from farmers to army and AI at military installations could have a higher level of combat skills.. Would make for some variety when AI characteristics are looked at.

Of course you are entitled to your own opinion Schofie1d but I disagree with removing the Antagonists that are in Arma 3 Epoch. These Antagonists provide a unique and original experience to Epoch. Without them, you only have base building and PVP and Infantry AI. You say this is what people want and what they play Epoch for and assuming this is true, what statistics are you basing this on? I know a great deal of people, including myself that like the change from Zombies, we like base building and PVP as well BUT why not have a different side to the experience that makes you have to think about your movements, about your opponents movements and about the antagonists at your heals? For example, I was up in a Tower watching over an area where we had enemy trying to shoot us down. We had Sappers at the feet of the tower and instead of shooting them, we left them down there to 1. Alert us to enemy near by and 2. Keep enemy at bay and 3. Offer a distraction so we can move our teammates in behind them. With Infantry AI, you couldn't possibly use them in the same manner.

Everyone has their own preference to how and what they enjoy out of Epoch. If you limit this experience to just PVP and base building and whatever antagonists "you" agree with, then things will get boring pretty damn quickly.

The Devs didn't create this as being a super realistic mod. The story line has moved on from Zombies and most of what you knew Epoch to be before, has gone. Epoch is now moved into the future and evolved into including the supernatural. Maybe it does not appeal to you but it appeals a lot  of my clanmates, the people I know in the community and there are very few like yourself that has this kind of opinion.

Realistically though, yourself and others who enjoy more PVP action, need to really accept the new Epoch for what it is NOW, not what you expected or wanted from past Epoch experiences. In other words, accept and move on or maybe this is not for you.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Epoch is now moved into the future and evolved into including the supernatural. Maybe it does not appeal to you but it appeals a lot  of my clanmates, the people I know in the community and there are very few like yourself that has this kind of opinion.

I agree with your points, but sadly the group I played with has broken up because of A3Epoch, and the reason is because there's only me that wants to play it, and nobody except one of us wanted to continue on DayZ Epoch. The other guys just aren't into mythical creatures (except zombies) and futuristic vehicles. Then there's the others on here that have said similar to Schofie, so I think it's incorrect of you to say there's very few like Schofie.

Just look at the numbers playing it, Tigah, there's not that many, and if you compare it to early DayZ mod, it's a tiny percentage. Of course Tigah, you're preaching to the converted on the Epoch forums, so it's hardly a good place to gauge a true reflection of what people that have played it think of it.

People also have to remember we are still in Alpha. Comparing to Dayz population and servers at this time is silly and definitely not a true reflection, as you say and I certainly didn't insinuate it to be as such either.

People also have to remember we are still in Alpha. Comparing to Dayz population and servers at this time is silly and definitely not a true reflection, as you say and I certainly didn't insinuate it to be as such either.

I don't think it is silly, maybe unfair when you take into account the hardware needed to run A3 and the amount of copies sold, but not silly.

DayZ exploded from nothing, attracting hundreds of thousands to the ArmA series, then Epoch took over and dominated the DayZ mod scene. Epoch had a huge, ready made audience to reach out to, but of course not all of the audience have or can run A3. Nevertheless, a substantial amount of people are aware of, and able to play A3 Epoch, but the servers aren't filling up. Yes it's Alpha, and yes it will improve, but for the fans to ignore and shout down the opinions of the people like Schofie, will be detrimental to the success of this new version.

I'd chuck the whole dayz element out the window as it is now.

it's never coming back like it was as sad is it is to say. Even the developers of this mod indicated that.. They are basically on their own.

Dean Hall did his job and did it very well making the Dayz platform that the modders used, this one included.

There is no Dean and Dayz on Arma3.  

I sort of wonder if anyone had approached Bohemia to see if they could develop another Dayz platform for Arma3.  A new "ground zero" so the modding community could continue once again with Arma3. Now that there is strong momentum with Arma2 it wouldn't be much of a gamble to think there is high potential to break records of sales of Arma3 with a stronger than ever modding community. Epoch most notably being the leader.

Seems like it is a bit silly not to since Dayz basically put Arma2 sales well beyond their expectations.

I don't think they will see those dayz again (pardon the pun).

Just saying.

We are Epoch, not DayZ. If you define Epoch you will understand. Those that don't can go play DayZ.

i see what your saying, DayZ is now its own game and there is no need for Epoch Arma 3 to do the zombie thing any more as it is/has been done to death since the original mod. That being said what is the direction behind arma 3 epoch? Are they demons that have taken over the world or just monsters? I have yet to find any detailed back story behind it all and would love to know.

I'm now glad Dayz has been completely removed from A3 Epoch.

A welcomed break from zombies until stand alone is at an enjoyable level, which could be years off.

In the meantime we can just play through the development of this mod, offering our opinions on the way. If we don't like the finished product, we move on.