[1.4.1] Snap Building PRO

Okay, so I am having an odd problem; seemingly randomly when building something (anything) I will not get snap points on any other built objects. I can cancel the current build and from what I have seen thus far is to zoom in on something and then attempt to build again. Sometimes this works, sometimes not. Very odd behavior.

I am using with Overpoch, so I am not sure if that has something to do with it or not. Nothing in the RPT to indicate an issue, and currently the only other mod I have installed is Axe Cop's Service Point. 

I reverted back to plain Epoch. Using the same mod files the problem now is non-existent. I am sticking with Epoch anyway, just wanted to report my findings.

Okay, so I am having an odd problem; seemingly randomly when building something (anything) I will not get snap points on any other built objects. I can cancel the current build and from what I have seen thus far is to zoom in on something and then attempt to build again. Sometimes this works, sometimes not. Very odd behavior.

I am using with Overpoch, so I am not sure if that has something to do with it or not. Nothing in the RPT to indicate an issue, and currently the only other mod I have installed is Axe Cop's Service Point. 

i am running SP script, too without any probs. Snap point range was reduced to 5 meters, so make sure to bring your object a bit closer to destination, alternatively you can adjust ranges in .hpp file. Don't go above 15, not recommended.

Would it be somehow possible to turn Items upside down? Like a Garage Door for making it possible to enter the Building with bigger vehicles

not in Dayz Epoch, no. Items saved to database only contain xyz location coords and direction in degrees. {0,[0,0,0]}. Afaik A3 Epoch will have support of custom rotation angles.

The server I play on has just upgraded to Steam and also went from using a basic snapping mod to your Pro mod. Loving it so far but I have noticed a "bug" or what may be called a problem.... Because the snap points for half cinder block walls are right on the end of the wall, metal floors will no longer line up correctly with walls.

EG: A length of wall made up of 4 cinder block sections, will now be longer than 4 metal floors, requiring you to place a 5th floor manually to cover up the gap.

This happens because the walls were designed to be "overlapped" when building them originally (it worked perfectly when the server used the older, more basic snapping mod). The position of your snap points on the end of the cinder walls are also the reason a 90° corner comes out "jaggered"

The diagram below shows your current method:

Snap1_zps9e54dccc.jpg

To slove this problem to allow metals floors to cover each wall section correctly and to make sharp 90° corners, the snap point at the end of the cinder walls has to be moved inwards, Meaning the the walls are overlapped with eachother.

The distance required is half the width of a Cinder Block Wall. I hope the digram below explains this.

Snap2_zpsc56ec7ed.jpg

I was thinking the snap point on the very end is useful for snapping other objects to the wall, but for joining walls together, it creates the problem of walls/floors not being the same length and 90° coners looking rough. Maybe you can simply add another snap point for joining walls together while keeping the snap point which is on the very end of the wall?

I hope this is helpfull, Cheers, The _Gump

We having the problem where if you place an item down "in" the ground, the next item wont snap to it, but place the same item above ground and it will snap no problem :/

I have found a work-around.... if the object you are placing is overlapped with the object that is in the ground when you enable snapping, the snap points for the object in the ground will appear.

Hey guys I have a small problem. I did install the NON-CMD version on my server and right nw my server only have :

- admin tool 1.8.2

- snap_build pro

The system does boot I have the scroll menu working and everything but when I press ''F'' to snap nothing happens.

I have a friend on my server who is not an admin who can use the snap build with no problem. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Hey guys I have a small problem. I did install the NON-CMD version on my server and right nw my server only have :

- admin tool 1.8.2

- snap_build pro

The system does boot I have the scroll menu working and everything but when I press ''F'' to snap nothing happens.

I have a friend on my server who is not an admin who can use the snap build with no problem. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Admin tool was designed to replace player_build for admins, that's why it's incompatible with the mod

I started up a design idea that might fix this few days ago, but it did not get enough attention to consider viable. So for now, you will have to disable admin building in your admin tool for this to work.

@The_Gump: That is very good observation and nicely written explanation of a problem. I had no idea it worked that way, since I had to create snap points for many objects, I was hoping these more detailed problems would be pointed out by admins or players like yourself. Thanks.

I am in holidays atm with a crappy laptop, be back next week to fix this... alternatively you can (or anyone else reading this) adjust new points for half wall and do inheritance for the full wall and their ghosts and do a pull request on github both - for snap pro and Dayz_Epoch mod. There is a video in second post in this thread showing how to add points and explaining how they work. 

Kind regards,

Ray

When i install this the toggling of the snap build just stays at off and doesn't do anything else. how?

can i add the lines to my compiles like this:

if (!isDedicated) then {
    fnc_usec_selfActions = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "Scripts\fn_selfActions.sqf";
    player_selectSlot = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "Scripts\ui_selectSlot.sqf";

};

if (!isDedicated) then {
    player_build = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "Scripts\snap_pro\player_build.sqf";
    snap_build = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "Scripts\snap_pro\snap_build.sqf";
    dayz_spaceInterrupt = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "Scripts\snap_pro\dayz_spaceInterrupt.sqf";
};

of do i add them in like so:

if (!isDedicated) then {
    fnc_usec_selfActions = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "Scripts\fn_selfActions.sqf";
    player_selectSlot = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "Scripts\ui_selectSlot.sqf";
    player_build = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "Scripts\snap_pro\player_build.sqf";
    snap_build = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "Scripts\snap_pro\snap_build.sqf";
    dayz_spaceInterrupt = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "Scripts\snap_pro\dayz_spaceInterrupt.sqf";
};

Edit:

Dropping and turning around works but snapping doesnt and if i dont drop the object it also doesnt turn

Edit2:

it does work when i use the custom folder you implied in the tutorial. are there links in the hpp files you need to relink if you put it in the custom folders as sayd above?

Probably found my issue with the scripts: (player_build.sqf)

Edit: Yup that was it! so for everyone trying to put the stuff in diffrent folders edit this as well as the compiles loading links and description.

fnc_snapActionCleanup = {
    private ["_s1","_s2","_s3","_cnt"];
    _s1 = _this select 0;
    _s2 = _this select 1;
    _s3 = _this select 2;
    player removeAction s_player_toggleSnap; s_player_toggleSnap = -1;
    player removeAction s_player_toggleSnapSelect; s_player_toggleSnapSelect = -1;
    if (count s_player_toggleSnapSelectPoint != 0) then {{player removeAction _x;} count s_player_toggleSnapSelectPoint; s_player_toggleSnapSelectPoint=[]; snapActions = -1;};
    if (_s1 > 0) then {
        s_player_toggleSnap = player addaction [format[("<t color=""#ffffff"">" + ("Snap: %1") +"</t>"),snapActionState],"Scripts\snap_pro\snap_build.sqf",[snapActionState,_object,_classname,_objectHelper],6,false,true];
    };
    if (_s2 > 0) then {
        s_player_toggleSnapSelect = player addaction [format[("<t color=""#ffffff"">" + ("Snap Point: %1") +"</t>"),snapActionStateSelect],"Scripts\snap_pro\snap_build.sqf",[snapActionStateSelect,_object,_classname,_objectHelper],5,false,true];
    };
    if (_s3 > 0) then {
        s_player_toggleSnapSelectPoint=[];
        _cnt = 0;
        {snapActions = player addaction [format[("<t color=""#ffffff"">" + ("%1)Select: %2") +"</t>"),_cnt,_x select 3],"Scripts\snap_pro\snap_build.sqf",["Selected",_object,_classname,_objectHelper,_cnt],4,false,false];
        s_player_toggleSnapSelectPoint set [count s_player_toggleSnapSelectPoint,snapActions];
        _cnt = _cnt+1;
    }count _points;
    };

Hey,

i updatet today to the new version from github. But now, snapping are buggy. The client rpt get spammed with:

Error in expression <player_toggleSnapSelect = -1;
if (count s_player_toggleSnapSelectPoint != 0) the>
  Error position: <s_player_toggleSnapSelectPoint != 0) the>
  Error Undefined variable in expression: s_player_togglesnapselectpoint
File mpmissions\__CUR_MP.Chernarus\scripts\snap_pro\snap_build.sqf, line 32

and this

if(_location1 distance _objectHelperPos > 10) exitWith {
_isOk >
  Error position: <_objectHelperPos > 10) exitWith {
_isOk >
  Error Undefined variable in expression: _objecthelperpos
File mpmissions\__CUR_MP.Chernarus\scripts\snap_pro\player_build.sqf, line 411
Error in expression <tHelper;
};
};

You can snap the first time and by your next try to snap no points are available for snapping. You have to turn it off and on a view times until it works again :-)

@Deeplink: Hey, those are just undefined vars, they were always there, just that new betas actually reports them. It is nothing to worry about and safe to ignore until I get back. Official epoch release has this fixed (which should be out soon). Also range for snap points was reduced to 5 meters. If you dont have absudrdly large bases on your server feel free to edit ranges back to 10 or 15 meters in snappoints.hpp file

have found a work-around.... if the object you are placing is overlapped with the object that is in the ground when you enable snapping, the snap points for the object in the ground will appear.

Thanks Gump starting snapping while clipped into the previous object or even the one before that fixes the snap problem with items that have clipped into the ground. Regarding object placement if I remember correctly Otternas/Maca's original script also used to create corners like Snap Pro. The reason the end on end point is good as you can use it to create firing ports as they are at the height you can shoot over. 

LePogo/Raymix I originally believed the problem to be with Admin Tools but even removing it completely the problem still persisted. It also worked with my players but not me but I believe that was down to object placement. You can try disabling admin build by commenting out the toggle option but I don't think its necessary since its off by default. 

Everything worked but snapping, UI/commands actions etc. LePogo try building something in the air and snapping to that, or when you start to build something place the item over the item you want to snap to then switch snap on (mouse scroll not F) you should then get the helper objects on the previous item. 

@Deeplink: Hey, those are just undefined vars, they were always there, just that new betas actually reports them. It is nothing to worry about and safe to ignore until I get back. Official epoch release has this fixed (which should be out soon). Also range for snap points was reduced to 5 meters. If you dont have absudrdly large bases on your server feel free to edit ranges back to 10 or 15 meters in snappoints.hpp file

Hmm, ok. But why we can only snap once. We build a cinderhalfwall, then we want to snap a second. When we want to snap a third wall, or a door, then no snap points appear at the existing walls. You need to turn off and on snap multiple times to get it working again. You know what i mean? :-) With the older version we had no problems like this.

Hmm, ok. But why we can only snap once. We build a cinderhalfwall, then we want to snap a second. When we want to snap a third wall, or a door, then no snap points appear at the existing walls. You need to turn off and on snap multiple times to get it working again. You know what i mean? :-) With the older version we had no problems like this.

Are you running Epoch or Overpoch? I had this problem when I ran Overpoch, but reverted back to regular Epoch and the problem went away for some reason. Also what other scripts/mods are you using? Any errors in the RPT? Etc,etc..

No Overpoch, only Epoch. I use Plot4Life aswell. But this ha worked for me in the old version. With the latest update the function of snapping breaks. No errors in my server rpt log. Only clientside errors.

I would check your edits from the update then, it is working for me (although I do not use PP4L); I got the latest from git-hub yesterday and re-installed it anew without issue.

Only changed the player_build.sqf. Also tested the merged file from this thread. Same problem. Snappoints not always display, only sometimes :-)

Man I am not sure what to tell you; try without PP4L maybe? As I said, I had that issue and now I don't. I don't use PP4L. Sorry I cannot be of more help. :|

I have merged the player_build.sqf of otternases release 1.6 with extraBuild, with the actual one from raymix.

There is no longer a need to store the "old" snapbuild of Otternase in yourmission.pbo.

Just replace my merged file with the one of Raymix.

Pls dont forget to change the path to the snap_pro folder in your extraRC.hpp.

Credits:

to WGC GeekGarage for his implementation of extra buildables into the player_build.sqf

player_build.zip