server upgrade question

robbiedarza

Question

Hello there, I am currently running a server with day.st and whenever we get above about 28 players the server starts to lag out, does anyone know  if dayz.st have a facility to upgrade the memory or whatever..or know of a hosting company that will allow me to upgrade to high spec plz?

We are in the process of setting up a donation system so money shouldn't be a problem, we just want the best performance possible

many thanks

robbie

Ok thanks mate, how does that work then please?

do i rent a dedicated server and will they set up dayz for me or will I have to upload the files to the server myself? sorry i'm not clued up on how dedicated servers work please?

many thanks

robbie

I have just been speaking to some guy from a hosting company and he asked what requirements I need.

Does anyone know what I need please?

He suggested this http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicated-servers/linux-servers/e730-linux/        will that be good enough?

He also asked if I needed windows or linux.

linux is free and windows costs £25 extra!!

many thanks

robbie

A Xeon is meant to be better than an i5 or i7, the higher the frequency the better.

Ram you want about 4GB or more, DDR3 over DDR2.

Traffic you would want around 2-3TB per month, less if quiet.

Linux is possible but if you don't know what you're doing I'd advise you go with Windows.

For server location if you're in the UK or Europe you have a large choice, personally i recommend online.net (France) but there's also SYS (France) - Hetzner (Germany) and Leaseweb (Germany & The Netherlands)

All will give you a decent ping :)

A Xeon is meant to be better than an i5 or i7, the higher the frequency the better.

Ram you want about 4GB or more, DDR3 over DDR2.

Traffic you would want around 2-3TB per month, less if quiet.

Linux is possible but if you don't know what you're doing I'd advise you go with Windows.

For server location if you're in the UK or Europe you have a large choice, personally i recommend online.net (France) but there's also SYS (France) - Hetzner (Germany) and Leaseweb (Germany & The Netherlands)

All will give you a decent ping :)

So a single Xeon would do the trick i see alot of servers with 2 Xeons

I've never used Vilayer so i can't comment, I did use dayz.st for a week and left, tried SS and they were worse, even tried HFB .... all were shite.

Setting up is easy enough, hardest part is setting up scheduled restarts, guides for everything can be found here.

I've never used Vilayer so i can't comment, I did use dayz.st for a week and left, tried SS and they were worse, even tried HFB .... all were shite.

Setting up is easy enough, hardest part is setting up scheduled restarts, guides for everything can be found here.

Ok what about specific OS like which windows server version is best

And what about storage? 120GB SSD Over 1TB HDD?

Thanks

I decided to give the DEDIBOX® CLASSIC + GEN2 a try. With a server 2008 web license it should cost around 50€/month, which I think is a lot of bang for the buck.

Having just recently installed and started the server I can't say anything about it's live performance so this comment is "as-is", but from what I've tested so far the network seems to be good (peek download 55mb/s while downloading arma), I have a ping of 70 to the server but that is likely due to my own internet connection - or it could be that the server is located in France.

Running epoch 1.0.5.1 with WAI (otherwise vanilla) the CPU consumption of the server process jumps between ~20% and ~40% and memory consumption of 626mb. That would suggest that the server would be suitable for 1, maybe 2 servers depending on the load and scripts involved.

Since arma is well known for having problems with using multiple cores, I guess this only takes the one core into account (as seen in the picture).

Untitled.jpg

It would then suggest that the server could run up to 4 servers with descent performance.

A word of caution

Buying a dedicated/virtual box is not "plug and play". The servers aren't pre-designed for... Anything. You get a blank box with an operating system, as if you'd bought one in the store. Compared to hosted solutions there is a technical curve to overcome as you'll have to install and configure everything (and anything) yourself; from the game server itself to down to the firewall aspects. Needles to say, this type of solution requires some technical experience.

Hope this helps anyone.

Ps: A moderator should probably move this thread to a more suitable section.

I ran 2 Epoch servers and a test server off This

Hi again, Ive just ordered what you linked  http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-classic

Do you know of any tutorials to show me what to do please!?  I havent got a clue where to start!

Should I have some sort of control panel or access to like a desktop or something?

Cheers

Robbie

Edit: Lol, just read davids post about needing technical experience, maybe I should have carry on reading before I bought it!!

Anyhoo, I'll give it a go.

Hi again, Ive just ordered what you linked  http://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-classic

Do you know of any tutorials to show me what to do please!?  I havent got a clue where to start!

Should I have some sort of control panel or access to like a desktop or something?

Cheers

Robbie

Edit: Lol, just read davids post about needing technical experience, maybe I should have carry on reading before I bought it!!

Anyhoo, I'll give it a go.

You install the OS trhough the web panel then you remote in remote desktop connection using the IP and user password

And then follow this tut: 

Hi, thanks for the reply dude....sheesh! i think im in over my head here!!

I have...  http://imgur.com/qiCACB9    when I log in to my account.

I think i would be ok once I actually get to the desktop, I just need to figure out how I access it remotely.

I think the address of the server is 62.210.122.78  but when i type that into firefox it takes me to some microsoft website thingy!!

Im installing   http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=7593   now...dunno what it does though!!!!   lol

cheers

robbie

you need to use the Windows remote desktop application ---- go to start and type in "remote" (without quotes) that will show you the following (in-built) program = Remote Desktop Connection

Put in the IP to your server there then click on "Show Options" go to experience tab and select LAN (10 Mbps or higher) <--- Gives you the best quality then go to the local resources tab and ensure clipboard is ticked, you can select others but that one makes it so you can copy from your local desktop to the remote desktop by using copy / paste text for example.

then click connect, it will ask you for your password and I think at this point you can then save your password so you don't have to type it each time you connect.

To make it easier on yourself add the MS RDC app to your desktop for quick connecting.

There you go have fun

Pry

EDIT: As you will probably ask this too, to close (end your remote session) at the top of your screen when you are looking at the remote desktop you will see a blue bar, click the X on that and it will close the connection to your server BUT WILL NOT shutdown your server. That bad boy stays on 24/7

Woo hoo, look what I got        http://imgur.com/q0fnt2P

Thanks very much for the help....I take it I just treat this thing as a computer in my home and download steam, arma2 etc etc..and install the server as normal.

many thanks for the help

robbie

Exactly the same, even down to firewall settings. Think of it as your own computer but with (probably) faster net connection and designed to be left on 24/7

Regards,

Pry