Would you play on a vanilla Epoch Chernarus server?

Chris9183

Would you play on this server?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Would you play on this server?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (specified in post)

I'm considering starting a vanilla Epoch server on Chernarus.

•I may or may not add safe trader zones

•I may or may not allow players to start with NVGs, simply because people leave servers when they log in and it's pitch black and they can't do anything

•There is only one addon that will be on the server for sure, and it's a tiny addon that lets you set your own view distance independent of the server's locked setting

•All settings on the server would be default/stock Epoch settings

Would you, or would you not play on this server?

If not, why not, and what would you require be on the server before you'd be willing to play on it? I just want to get the general population's consensus on this before I go forward. From what I can tell, there are only 3 or so vanilla Epoch servers online, and they're set at a player cap of 12ish, with high pings, and seem to stay empty. Unless I've missed more out there somehow.

Thanks for your replies.

Hi, my opinion is - yes, i would play.

I know, if you add something bigger than some scripts its not VANILLA server anymore, but..

Recommendations from my side -

• Increase/change prices, make your custom traders prices.
  • For more RP(live-playing), add tow/lift ONLY for big cars like Ural, v30  and big helicopters.
  • Add more transport. I dont know how much is in Epoch default settings, but add motobikes, bikes, MTVRs etc.
  • A custom monitor is good too! (Fps, headshots, nothing much)
  • ** NPCs sectors, like Sector B. With high end loot, and inteligent AI.

** Only if you want more action!

Server is more interesting with hardcore/role play elements. 

Yeah...trader safe zones seem to be a must. It's too easy to camp the trader cities and take someone's stuff with zero effort. But if I can't label it a vanilla server, it won't appear unique and people will just go play somewhere else, not knowing it's really vanilla with safe zones.

I could include "vanilla (except with safe zones)" in the server title.

I'd sooner play a vanilla server then a server packed with unrealistic additions that make the game too simple. That being said though, I do like when a server has custom stuff, but I like it to be stuff that makes the game more challenging, makes a player more afraid of dying and adds elements that makes the game feel more real. Safezones is something I don't like though. I'd rather remove trader cities, spreading multiple traders all around map so the odds of campers is reduced a bit. Could always add anti camping scripts to an area where you have a trader too, make a radius around it that if a player stays within it for too long they automatically die or get teleported away to a remote location just to punish them. Alternatively, another thing I would like to look into is whether or not it's possible to turn traders into hostile AI, or spawn hostile AI in a trader city if combat takes place. This would hopefully deter people from trying to kill others at a trader, though it could possibly cause players to troll like asses, hard to say.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a vanilla server...I just want it to be a server that isn't empty 24/7. It needs to be unique in some way, and the only way I can see of doing that is making a vanilla one. Seems like everything else has been done at least 10 times already. Any ideas anyone?

It doesn't necessarily have to be a vanilla server...I just want it to be a server that isn't empty 24/7. It needs to be unique in some way, and the only way I can see of doing that is making a vanilla one. Seems like everything else has been done at least 10 times already. Any ideas anyone?

Some things might have been done already, but the sky is the limit if you want to create custom scripts/features, or alter ones already released. I haven't gotten to 100% custom stuff yet, but working on it. As for changes, just some examples. I found a script which let's users select a spawn point and a class (which provides a custom loadout). I thought the select spawn point thing was over rated so... I took the select class feature and expanded it. Now players can select a class after a fresh spawn, but new classes unlock as your humanity increases and classes are now designed to change a players clothing based on whether they are male or female. It adds a bit of a roleplay element I guess, instead of everyone starting with the same gear, you get multiple loadouts available for everyone, all having advantages and disadvantages. Starting as a Mechanic will give a crowbar to fight with, and a toolbox, with some minor basics like a bandage and something to eat/drink. So a Mechanic will be able to start stripping vehicles for parts to repair others and have an easy way to get around. While a cop will start with a handgun or shotgun randomly, along with a gps, so they have a bit of an idea where they're heading, and aren't stuck fighting melee. I think it's a neat idea, and I've actually never seen it used on a server I played so... Point is, just be creative I guess, something is bound to make you stand out and provide something fresh to players.

Overall though, I think the biggest issue with the majority of servers comes down to the fact they focus on either PvE or PvP but never both. Then because they're so focused on the elements of PvP or PvE AI, they forget this is suppose to be a zombie apocalype, zombies are basically useless on every server, and loot is everywhere. It just doesn't add up for me.

Okay, I've got some good ideas for a server now. Incar, what you just said made a lightbulb cut on.

My idea is to make an almost-vanilla Epoch server, but to buff the zombies to be slightly faster, and hit much harder, so they're a real threat (like DayZ 1.8.1). I'll also include safe zones for trader cities, and I'll double all trader prices.

How does that sound? To me it seems like a good balance of PVE and PVP.

Okay, I've got some good ideas for a server now. Incar, what you just said made a lightbulb cut on.

My idea is to make an almost-vanilla Epoch server, but to buff the zombies to be slightly faster, and hit much harder, so they're a real threat (like DayZ 1.8.1). I'll also include safe zones for trader cities, and I'll double all trader prices.

How does that sound? To me it seems like a good balance of PVE and PVP.

I'm pretty sure some would like that yah. As appose to increasing speed, I'd increase how many spawn, but that's just my personal preference. Odds are I'll eventually go Romero style with walkers, but make them take a player out in 2-3 hits (once I can find what controls damage for them). Might not seem like they'd be a challenge, but the slower they are, the less people worry and the more likely they'll end up in a bad situation from not being cautious, especially if there are lots of them lol. Regular DayZ zombies were a lot more of a pain in the ass though, so I myself tried to avoid them instead of running through groups of them like I do now on epoch.

Edit: On another note, fair warning, doubling prices may be a task. I myself am planning on doing gold only currency on mine, and have over 1000 entries for items at merchants so... You can imagine how much of a task it can be, lol.

Editing the settings in the init.sqf will control the max amount that can spawn, but as for the actual amount that spawn, that's based on loot locations it seems. I used a custom loot script found...

http://opendayz.net/threads/release-custom-loot-for-epoch-1-0-4-2.18628/

and for each of the classes in the CfgBuildingLoot you get...

zombieChance = 0.6; //60% chance to spawn
minRoaming = 2;     //Minimum 2 spawn
maxRoaming = 4;     //Maximum 4 spawn

Then you can change the items you want capable of being found and where. You can load groups of items from the CfgLoot and CfgLootSmall files as well, should be relatively easy to figure out, as well as change types of zombies that spawn from each class. Also if you want to change the class buildings use for deciding loot and zombies, go to the bottom and you'll find stuff like...

class Land_Ind_Workshop01_02 : Industrial {                                                  //building id : loot class to use
        lootPos[] = {{1.47144, -0.825195, -1.42987}, {-1.29663, -0.373047, -1.42896}};           //coordinates to spawn loot
        lootPosZombie[] = {{-0.029541, 1.72314, -0.551222}, {-0.258545, -0.877441, -0.554681}};  //coordinates to spawn zombies
        lootPosSmall[] = {{1.65283, 1.66846, -1.42742}, {-1.75757, -1.08887, -1.43804}};         //coordinates to spawn small loot

Which is good if you're like me and don't want military weapons spawning in a fire station. You could go around and find the id's to buildings that don't spawn loot and add them into this to, then add a class that simply spawns zombies, and attach it to those building id's.

Hope that helps.

I'm considering starting a vanilla Epoch server on Chernarus.

•I may or may not add safe trader zones

•I may or may not allow players to start with NVGs, simply because people leave servers when they log in and it's pitch black and they can't do anything

•There is only one addon that will be on the server for sure, and it's a tiny addon that lets you set your own view distance independent of the server's locked setting

•All settings on the server would be default/stock Epoch settings

Would you, or would you not play on this server?

If not, why not, and what would you require be on the server before you'd be willing to play on it? I just want to get the general population's consensus on this before I go forward. From what I can tell, there are only 3 or so vanilla Epoch servers online, and they're set at a player cap of 12ish, with high pings, and seem to stay empty. Unless I've missed more out there somehow.

Thanks for your replies.

Response to your question:

Tiny addons are adding so much that I wouldn't consider a vanilla Epoch server any more. The exact list of scripts/customizations surely is a matter of taste however

• "self-bloodbag",
  • "build snapping",
  • "RimBlock's A Plot for life" are the bare minimum which should be in vanilla Epoch and until then all admins should add these to improve the player experience.

I would also suggest "safe trade zones" however I acknowledge it totally depends on server administration's view (e.g.: "This is DayZ Bro!  -- it's supposed to be like the Wild West, remember this the next time you go shopping!!").

And a request:

Could you please provide the script or the link to the script you mention in your post (view distance). It was one of my first scripts that I attempted and failed, I have since managed to install about 15 scripts successfully so I was about to revisit that feature so I'd love to have a tested & working implementation to begin with. Thanks!

Response to your question:

Tiny addons are adding so much that I wouldn't consider a vanilla Epoch server any more. The exact list of scripts/customizations surely is a matter of taste however

• "self-bloodbag",
  • "build snapping",
  • "RimBlock's A Plot for life" are the bare minimum which should be in vanilla Epoch and until then all admins should add these to improve the player experience.

I would also suggest "safe trade zones" however I acknowledge it totally depends on server administration's view (e.g.: "This is DayZ Bro!  -- it's supposed to be like the Wild West, remember this the next time you go shopping!!").

And a request:

Could you please provide the script or the link to the script you mention in your post (view distance). It was one of my first scripts that I attempted and failed, I have since managed to install about 15 scripts successfully so I was about to revisit that feature so I'd love to have a tested & working implementation to begin with. Thanks!

Build Snapping and Plot Pole 4 Life could be extremely useful, it is annoying always having to remove and replace plot pole everytime you die, especially when you have my luck and end up breaking 5 crowbars, toolboxes and etools. Self Bloodbag is something I hope to expand on a little, although it's useful, it's too useful. When a player reaches a point they're shaking like mad from major bloodloss and/or injury, there should be a risk of failure which might cause further injury while using bloodbag, injecting morphine and epis and more,

As for safe zones, I understand to an extent why people like them, not having them is just as unrealistic in a sense, given not a singe trader will do anything if a firefight breaks out. If only traders could be setup as AI to get into gun battles, people might have less desire to camp and kill at traders.

Well I've decided I'm not going to go with vanilla...but I'm going to carefully design a server that is a PVE challenge while at the same time having good PVP elements to it. I'm going to make it a core principle that this server will not hand you stuff on a platter.

Well I've decided I'm not going to go with vanilla...but I'm going to carefully design a server that is a PVE challenge while at the same time having good PVP elements to it. I'm going to make it a core principle that this server will not hand you stuff on a platter.

You're not alone in that goal so please do post updates as you advance on this track. I, for one, will be very interested what you choose to include and/or modify. Thanks.