Three Little Pigs my @$$

Eegore

That was an amazing retort, well done you. "those with PVP servers" - like those with PVE servers are so much better because they don't allow a core mechanic of the game? PvP? LMAO

You need to stop talking Kind-Sir, I'm embarrassed for you every time you dribble something on the forums.

Oh dear. People with little experience make points and every one they make sounds worse than the last. 

<Insert long refutation here>

Tank traps, dragons teeth yes static defences work great. Ok rather than make the structures, all structures configurable (the root problem) we need to change absolutely everything else. So that no one joins the server. I can imagine the server name on commander now:

[CPC] Childs Play Corner - Dayz Epoch [1.0.2.1] - Modular buidling! Removed all the shit that made you want to play here in the first place! 

Heres a situation for you:

Eegores been banned. We also took away all the helicopters and planes that Epoch adds as default but alas! One cruel dark night (full moon) an evil person joins the server. Equipped with his trusty crowbar, a tool box and a shitty skoda he purchased from Stary for the cost of the DMR found in Cherno 2 minutes after joining the game he goes looking for a base. 

He finds one! Oh no he cries, tank traps! I have to get out of my car now to destroy this base. So he gets out and within a few minutes the tank traps are safely in the Skoda's boot. He then drives through the base knocking most of the shit down. What the Skoda can't defeat in valorous car on building combat he removes quicker than the Skoda can reverse on grass. 

The point of the matter is the internet is full of muppets whose only enjoyment is destroying other peoples work. This is not part of the "survival" mechanic, kill you yes, steal your shit yes. Taking down wood panels for no reason...well no not really. Sequishas idea of trimming all the good stuff that made Epoch popular is not really a good idea. Since all you need is a Crowbar and a toolbox which can be found moments of getting in game. 

Saying play another mod is childish, you will lose most of the community and players who will then move to other mods such as Origins where buildings can't be destroyed and has no impact in gameplay that you seem to think will happen. 

Epoch is great. If it wasn't we wouldn't be here. Being great doesn't mean you can make ass backward decisions and hope everyone will agree with you. Be wary of those who do because they are fanbois and they will not help the mod at all. 

Nobody is saying "Don't put in modular buildings" because they are a great addition. What we are saying is help us protect our players from griefers whose sole intention will be to remove peoples work for no other reason than they can. 

Regarding base building in silly places, easy to sort, easy to watch out for. Even if they were set to indestructible it doesn't affect the bullet penetration. You can still put a round through it and into the person behind. I've dealt with people building in silly places before, even without special tools you can still, shock, horror kill them. Since killing someone in DayZ requires very little skill. 

That was an amazing retort, well done you. "those with PVP servers" - like those with PVE servers are so much better because they don't allow a core mechanic of the game? PvP? LMAO

You need to stop talking Kind-Sir, I'm embarrassed for you every time you dribble something on the forums.

What I mean was those who brand servers "PVP"

On a side note, I would like to apologize for the way I came off earlier. Been a damn rough day, and I am not looking forward to posting more on this thread, as the flaming will go on between everyone and no worthwhile discussion nor agreement will be made.

(though, I thought it was funny that your server, child's play corner, should have indestructible bases as the children will nibble at your base...)

For me making decisions on the server is always about gameplay first but I always have to consider how much extra work it adds for the admins. The mod, the base game infact is buggy as it is. Standing on a rock can break your legs...

As Firefly explained, it takes minutes to get the equipment together to destroy a base. People will server hop doing just this for various reasons, from "for fun" to rival server admins do it to each other to try and decrease populations to make their servers the number one place to go. It will never only be used and played as intended and you can never be there 100% of the time to enforce it. There has to be automation in place for several things and bases is one of these things for as many legit reasons as illegitimate reasons.

Seriously people, everyone needs to calm down a bit lol. We all love epoch here, just in slightly different guises. We should all just respect each others preferences and get along. There is no need to start a flame war every time someone mentions modular base building. :) 

i dont see the problem. there are a lot of pvp servers for people who want a little bit pvp fun. on the other side there are "pve" servers where most of the people are friendly and you can build your base in peace and slaughter zombies.

both, pvp AND pve has it's pro and contra points.

to the base fan: how about you hide your base?

if you build up a base in the midle of cherno, the base will be destroyed in a few minuits.

but in the last corner of chernarus, the base can stay very long without any problem.

believe it or not. not everyone in dayz wants to destroy your base and kill you ;)

Guys.... can someone make my chocolate teapot not melt pls ;-)

End of the day its a game and if people want it non realistic then its up to them. However they should work out how to do it them self abd not bug the admin here who have far better things to do then make a wood wall non destroyable...

Hmm while i think of it, non destroyable walls.... any chance of a unlimited ammo for guns or undestroyable cars??

Anyhow about my teapot....

Why can't you accept the fact that there are people who like Epoch the way the devs designed it?

You want undestructible bases, good for you. Not everyone does.

The devs clearly stated that they don't plan on making these destructible, end of discussion. Now let's all agree to disagree and end this topic.

In the same avenue, why can't people just except that people want things to be the way they want it. If it wasnt true, we wouldn't have Epoch and everyone would be playing the original DayZ wouldn't we.

People getting too arsey over peoples decisions, leave us to it and stop flaming people who try to change it.

The biggest thing that contributes to the darwin factor is heroes spouting off with scenarios thinking they are unsolvable, untraceable and completely game breaking without doing any research into it, like the ones of us who actually have successful base building servers.

Each to their own though, I like my busy server I'm sure they like their empty servers.

Having a server with indestructible bases IS NOT a BAD IDEA, it just depends on the server. This does not mean, however, that the epoch dev team needs to change the way base building works for everyone. If your server admins have tailored your experience on their server to the point that bases NEED to be indestructible, 1 of 3 things have probably happened...

1. The admins have taken a shortcut to solve problems.

2. The admins have royally screwed the server by adding all the bells, whistles and do-dads they can find.

3. The admins have properly balanced the gameplay in a very customized environment.(probably very hostile environment, but balanced)

Are indestructible bases a bad idea? No. That being said, should they be mandatory or even easy to set up? No.

My personal opinion is that DayZ is played by the vast majority, the WRONG WAY due to some primarily dominant PvP elements.  I think that if indestructible bases are too available to everyone that server admins will just throw it in instead of stepping back and saying "OK, we have this, now how do we make it work?" because if that question is never considered, or that problem is never addressed, then people will continue playing DayZ the way they have been for a long time and miss out on some possibly new and greater experiences. 

Kind of off topic: The problem I think with DayZ, right now, is that everyone and their mom is running a server and tailoring it they way they like it with all kinds of assorted mods, but not all of those people know what they are doing.  Traditionally, a team of skilled game designers/developers will slave over a feature for months and testing it not just for bugs, but for player experience. I'm sure that the vast majority of server operators don't have a clue how to even define the term "gameplay" and end up giving the player what they ASK FOR which rarely ever matches what the player really WANTS. That's just a recipe for a bad experience.

I'm assuming you're talking about my server there, I already have indestructible modular buildings ;)

We've had indestructible bases since April aswell, we started in April.

Let me know when vanilla Epoch servers become the main popular type, I've been waiting for this!

We actively encourage griefing and pvp.  If you're looking for a place to ruin bambi's day, then come to our hood.  We have an Eve Online mentality.  So long as you're not hacking...

Also this, same. No glitching, cheating or being a skiddie and we're fine with that. The base/clan wars that happen are entertaining.

I remember this forum being a place of engaged conversations. With a topic like this one however I cant see the conversion being very fruitful... :(

If you have a problem with current systems you are welcome to offer opinion, why does this forum even have a feedback section if we don't choose to utilize it?

If you have a good idea and wish to develop on it, please do, that what makes this mod what it is.

People need to release that this is a great mod with or without any customization that once again each server owner is free to employ and release for others to do the same if they should so choose to.

• 10 months later...

you can glitch through the doors of any base. Even with the fix if you wanted in. So indestructable dosent mean much except you can hide in it during a firefight. Locked vehicles even when they are indestructable still blow up from kamikaze,so nothing is fool proof.

what your base is made out of dosent matter too much because of this, basically if you store your stuff in anything other than a safe on a pvp server youre going to have a bad time.

you can glitch through the doors of any base. Even with the fix if you wanted in. So indestructable dosent mean much except you can hide in it during a firefight. Locked vehicles even when they are indestructable still blow up from kamikaze,so nothing is fool proof.

what your base is made out of dosent matter too much because of this, basically if you store your stuff in anything other than a safe on a pvp server youre going to have a bad time.

so true. Only safes are safe. Everything else we build is to fulfil the Lego loving kid in all of us... while Tommy two shoes gets to fulfil that little barbarian child in him too. Win-win imo.

I just hope the bases he kamikazes are occupied. You need to see the look on their face otherwise you look out of place killing yourself over and over in a survival based game. At least imo.