Any information on access to server.pbo and mission files before the contest ends?

Kenturrac

I wonder if we will get access to these files before the contest ends. Since it is about a lot of money I would unterstand, if they dont wanna spread their source code all over the internet. Did they mention anything like this?

Just taking the popularity of that mod they could easily do an exclusive deal with a serverhoster. By that they would prevent normal people from looking in the server.pbo.

Honestly in the past I was always against it, but now I'd much rather see them keep server files closed ala Origins. I was a HUGE fan of Epoch, played off and on since April/May of last year, before base building was implemented. But what I was not a fan of was the metric shitton of servers with: self bloodbagging, trader safezones (I dislike this one the most), roaming AI, tanks, and all the other bullshit that was added later by people other than the Epoch team. I only played on the Vanilla or "official" servers, until BMRF shut down. 2 weeks ago I reinstalled Arma2 thinking I would just play on one of the many vanilla servers only to find that no such thing exists any more, and that makes me sad. Whatever they decide to do, I seriously can't wait until A3 Epoch to be released.

They may not do it for the money, but it sure would be nice to see them win the MakeArmaNotWar competition.

Honestly in the past I was always against it, but now I'd much rather see them keep server files closed ala Origins. I was a HUGE fan of Epoch, played off and on since April/May of last year, before base building was implemented. But what I was not a fan of was the metric shitton of servers with: self bloodbagging, trader safezones (I dislike this one the most), roaming AI, tanks, and all the other bullshit that was added later by people other than the Epoch team. I only played on the Vanilla or "official" servers, until BMRF shut down. 2 weeks ago I reinstalled Arma2 thinking I would just play on one of the many vanilla servers only to find that no such thing exists any more, and that makes me sad. Whatever they decide to do, I seriously can't wait until A3 Epoch to be released.

They may not do it for the money, but it sure would be nice to see them win the MakeArmaNotWar competition.

The beauty of the Arma series was NEVER its original content, it was the ability to add and create the type of scenario you and or your community wanted to play. By creating addons that do not allow customization, you end up building up under Arma's cons, instead of building on its pros. 

Origins was fun for exactly one week, but when every server is the same, the replayness of the mod simply do not exsists beyond its original features. Same with DayZ Mod. If it was not for the dedication of those creating the private hives, and thus opening up the possibility to create alternate interpretations of the mod, which Epoch is a fine example of, DayZ would have been long dead.

One of the reasons so many of us builds on the very fine framework which Epoch is, is that we want to create something unique for our servers, which enables us to keep players, and thus continue to grow our community. Why would any community continue to host a server that is just as same as 1000 others? Why spend money on something that may or may not end up having players?

Some people have more experience with Arma/DayZ then others, and thus very fast get an advantage over the other players. This is normally fair, but the effect is that everyone not part of that group end up leaving, and thus leaves a barren server. By adding Safezone to traider, you give the first group of players time to buy their equipment without being killed by a fully equipped sniper on every turn. 

Adding AI missions (and or roaming ai's)  takes the strain of new players unfinished bases, by giving an alternative for action, and focusing PVP action elsewhere.

This lets the server build up a decent amount of bases, and thus balances the forces on the server as to not leave one group totally in control.

While we do have Self Bloodbag, I do agree with you, but, since Epoch is more about bases and vehicles then a pure survival it is ok depending on the type of gameplay your server is aiming for, and BloodBag fits into the gameplay we are aiming for.

Same with tanks, I do not , at all, understand why anyone would want it on their server, but as with the bloodbag, it caters to a specific gameplay style, and thus I think it is fine that other servers have it. The same can be said about any additions you add to your server. They all cater to a specific need. 

The problem comes when a server owner adds everything that looks fancy, but never stops to consider the impact each feature have on gameplay and server economy. 

All has its price, and balance is the key.

When they are done testing the Closed Alpha they said they would release both the mission and server files.

Any source on that?

I am concerend since I know that some of the former Arma II Epoch Devs are not allowed to work on Arma III Epoch right now just because of the contest.

I learned thats always about the money. Which isn't even a bad thing. It's a really really good motivation.

Any source on that?

I am concerend since I know that some of the former Arma II Epoch Devs are not allowed to work on Arma III Epoch right now just because of the contest.

I learned thats always about the money. Which isn't even a bad thing. It's a really really good motivation.

Ugh....what former devs?  Awol, Axle and I have been 3-manning this since I joined the team.  There were some contributions for Arma 2-Epoch...both toxic and helpful.  Contributors; much like anyone else making commits to our github.

I talked to one. I will not tell names. Maybe it was just a contributor. Maybe I got it all wrong, but it sounded exactly like that. Anyway, since you are here. Can you confirm that you guys will share the server files after the cloesed alpha?

I talked to one. I will not tell names. Maybe it was just a contributor. Maybe I got it all wrong, but it sounded exactly like that. Anyway, since you are here. Can you confirm that you guys will share the server files after the cloesed alpha?

Well there are a number of people who have contributed to DayZ-Epoch, there are countless commits from numerous people dating back to the beginning of last year.  For the most part however, server operators and communities tend to keep more involved changes and features they're capable of pulling off in-house. 

We're more focused on developing the mod for Arma 3 than anything else right now.  If you regular the forums or any of our other media outlets; you'll be aware of any pertinent dates as we announce them.

It's a lot of words instead of a "Yes" or "No". :D So I will take it as a "no" until we get more informations. Which is fine, no offense! I just had to ask. :D For me, customizing the gameplay experience in form of programming is just way more exiting than playing Arma III Epoch.

Q. Will the files be released to the public before the contest ends?

A. Yes, however I cannot say when. Our goal is to have something released to the public before the contest ends.

I am concerend since I know that some of the former Arma II Epoch Devs are not allowed to work on Arma III Epoch right now just because of the contest. I learned thats always about the money. Which isn't even a bad thing. It's a really really good motivation.

I have a good idea of whom you are referring too, as there is only one major contributor to DayZ Epoch that is not currently a part of A3 Epoch development. This will likely soon change as we get closer to our closed alpha release. We 3 (now 4) work very closely with each other and are on Teamspeak every single day often 12+ hours a day. We simply cannot just bring in more help unless we know without a doubt that we are all on the same page.

Server files release before or after conclusion of Make Arma Not War, irrelevant.

Released before ready for public consumption, relevant.

Dying to play, Willing to wait, and I believe if the code is release during competition, intellectual property will protect epoch team against theft and reuse of code as they will be able to prove their work is theirs.

Possible plus side, if released before the competition finishes they will have the biggest Quality Control testing community to help polish their entry.