ArmA 3 Epoch Mod for Linux server

Curtis

I'm wondering if you guys are considering making it compatible with the ArmA 3 Linux dedicated server.

Thankfully, BI seem to have put some effort into the Linux server for ArmA 3, it looks more stable than the one that ArmA 2 was using.

If you guys are considering developing a Linux compatible version and need a test server, just ask, I'd be more than happy to host one for you. :)

while we're at it:

base building is what I love about epoch but most servers can't really handle that many objects. you guys ever considered some kind of horizontal scaling for objects or some kind of cache for that?

I don't know much about game development but for example one of my clients is running a horizontal architecture (and shard for database) where he just serves data through a central and a load balancer so new (virtual machines) are deployed in seconds, if there's a traffic peak it handles everything gracefully...

but back on my question: basically you could just rent additional servers just to handle objects/vehicles (no need to deploy them on the fly, it was just an example), maybe even divide the map in regions and keep a server for each one. maybe the main server could do all the validation and the others act just as cache/cpu offload?

I know the client side implications but at least on A2 is the server fps that gets me everytime

You say 'most servers', but a lot of servers can handle large numbers of buildings.

Our system has a 6 core CPU (12 threads) at 4Ghz, which means CPU wise it's perfectly fine for anything ArmA tries to throw at it.

(Of course because of ArmA 2's AMAZING optimized AI it still lags a little when you get 20-30 players online... Thankfully they said that was fixed in ArmA 2 build 1.63)

Only problem I have is that ArmA 2 isn't native to Linux, and seems like a rather bad port over to it at times. A good example is the fact that I cannot run the Taviana map with Epoch because of some memory limitation I believe, which is down to ArmA 2 Linux server being 32-bit... :/

Anyhow, base building usually causes lots of client lag rather than server lag. But on a large scale it can begin to affect the server.

Back to my point though, I hope the Epoch devs make ArmA 3 Epoch mod compatible with the Linux dedicated server as it is a lot more stable than the junk that BI presented us with for ArmA 2...

EDIT: Just reading back on this as I'm a little less angry now xD

On the upside, ArmA 2 Linux server for 1.63 is slightly better, it's getting up to the level of the Windows server, but it's not quite there and still is only 32-Bit! D:

Supporting linux would help with server performance, most server admins have a limited budget, a Windows license is almost the same price as the server :( greedy bastards.

So if all money went on the hardware, server admins would choose a better spec machine, rather than a lower spec + Windows.

I totally agree with you on that.

Linux distributions are FAR more efficient any Windows OS... With Linux you can have lower specs and usually get better performance out of it, plus, like you said, the Windows license is very expensive...

It is nice that the ArmA 3 dedicated server has better support for Linux, I'm still not sure if they released a 64-Bit Linux dedicated server, but I hope they do if they haven't already, it will help a lot.

One of the main issues I have though with the fight between Linux and Windows is that every other game server I host for other games has great support Linux, but then there is ArmA 2 which just doesn't, so us Linux users need to sit here fighting to get addons working, finding ways around Windows only MySQL plugins for ArmA... It's just a pain in general. :(

Really hope the Epoch Dev team considers converting Epoch over to Linux, they did a fine job with the one for ArmA 2, and from what I've seen, it's one of a few DayZ mods that have a Linux version

Well, we had this issue with ArmA 2 also, the ArmA 2 Linux server had a terrible lack of some useful parts that the Windows server had. But it seems the Epoch devs could convert to that.

The problem with WINE is that it really just doesn't make good use of what Linux is known for, it's efficiency. All WINE seems to do is cause weird errors a lot of the time :/

Currently, all the servers in my signature are running on the ArmA 2 Linux dedicated server, and are running quite nicely right now.

I'm wondering if you guys are considering making it compatible with the ArmA 3 Linux dedicated server.

Thankfully, BI seem to have put some effort into the Linux server for ArmA 3, it looks more stable than the one that ArmA 2 was using.

If you guys are considering developing a Linux compatible version and need a test server, just ask, I'd be more than happy to host one for you. :)

Epoch would work on linux but ArmA need to support native Linux extensions via the callExtension command. Dwarden (Community Manager) told me that the ArmA3 Developer are working on this.

Good news is that the A3 devs added Linux callExtension support in the dev build recently and should be out soon. So, we should be able to provide support for both Linux and Windows servers.

This is exellent news :D

The quality of server will go up, money that was spent on a Windows license will now be spent on better hardware.

GSP will also offer lower prices or should as their costs will fall.

• 5 months later...

Good news is that the A3 devs added Linux callExtension support in the dev build recently and should be out soon. So, we should be able to provide support for both Linux and Windows servers.

Oh that are very good news, I tried Dayz Epoch on Linux, but I ran also in that memory limit, if we can run A3 Epoch on Linux, I will run a server, I won't run one on Windows.

while we're at it:

base building is what I love about epoch but most servers can't really handle that many objects. you guys ever considered some kind of horizontal scaling for objects or some kind of cache for that?

What makes you say this? I have never seen an issue with this before. Or are you speaking of just the Linux servers? 

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to test A3 Epoch on Linux, I tested A3 Altis life today on my debian system, everything is working, also the database.

Awol can you check the PMs I wrote you, please. If I can get the files for A3 Epoch, I can try to get it running, if I can get a none up to date version, that would be nice, I don't need the newest onces.

You say 'most servers', but a lot of servers can handle large numbers of buildings.

Our system has a 6 core CPU (12 threads) at 4Ghz, which means CPU wise it's perfectly fine for anything ArmA tries to throw at it.

Except arma3server is extremely poorly optimized, doesn't use much more than one core, and "multithreading" isn't something BIS-devs spend their time on. The biggest factor seems to be clock speed, disk speed, and RAM.

Except arma3server is extremely poorly optimized, doesn't use much more than one core, and "multithreading" isn't something BIS-devs spend their time on. The biggest factor seems to be clock speed, disk speed, and RAM.

Arma 3 is better than Arma 2 on the multithreading, but you are right, the have to optimize the server for sure and the should do 64bit server. I hope the linux version is running better then the windows version.

For Windows you don't need 6 core, we did the same mistake when we got our first server, you need a really fast cpu on the clock speed.

• 2 weeks later...

I tested Altis Life on my linux machine @home, it is running without a problem so far, I used this: http://www.gameunity.tv/altis-life-server-unter-linux-installieren/ it is in german.

I wanted to test A3 Epoch also, I asked for Epoch files, but I did not get a response, I ask for an old version, I do not need then newest ones.

I compared the Altis Life "Windows" files, with the "Linux" files, I guess they only converted them from DOS to Linux (^M issue), there are also small differences in some files, but they should not have something to do with the differnet operation systems.

https://github.com/Torndeco/extdb

• 2 weeks later...

This is good news.  Is linux support still in the cards and do you think we might see it this year or is it going to be sometime after the initial 1.x release of the mod?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They will offer it later, he told me when I watch his Twitch session weeks ago. I would try it, also with the 0.1.0.3 files, I hope it will not be a big deal to get it running, but I am not sure.

So have you tried that version? Seems like it's only you've gone so far in this subject. )

• 2 weeks later...

I made a startscript for Arma 3, it is also working for Epoch: http://pastebin.com/q2mdcd1i

Features:

(start|stop|restart|status|check|log)

log = it will show you the actual logfile like "tail -f", no more need for using "screen" or something else

check = it will check if the nessecarry files and folders are there and it will tell you also what to do

Every start, the script will zip all logfiles and move the to an old folder.

All old zipped lofiles will be deleted after x days (x = 7, you can configure it in the script)

I placed all user files in one folder ${ARMA_DIR}/sc/users/${NAME} (basic.cfg, server.cfg, arma3profile and the battleye folder), if you wanna keep the epoch config.cfg, you can make a symlink there (ln -s server.cfg config.cfg) to keep the filename standart with arma 3.