Custom bases for clans/donators

BetterDeadThanZed

Question

I've noticed some servers that offer custom bases for their donators or clans and I am curious how you guys are setting them up. Do you have a basic base that you've created in the 3D edit and all you do is load it, move everything to a new location and save it, each time you need a new base? Maybe you have several set up this way? What do you use to only allow specific players? Warp script?

I'll be setting up a new Epoch server as soon as DayzPriv gets their control panel working so I'd like to make this something I'd offer. Any screenshots of these bases would be cool too.

4 answers to this question

On our server it's purely manual:

Clan and our 'basebuilder' confer on TS about location and approximate layout / special wishes, then he builds offline, uploads pictures, gets feedback.

When a design is agreed upon the base (as added mission file) is uploaded on the test server to ensure error-free loading and finally copied to the game server.

Ideally the clan would supply a mission file on their own that then is fine-tuned and approved by our 'basebuilder'.

We have no mechanism in place to allow only specific players into the base. Normally the clan should make sure to have some members near the base's location when it is uploaded for the first time to claim the land with some plot poles ;-)

I myself have only created my own small base but my impression is that having a base template and 'move' it to other locations is more trouble than it's worth because terrain slopes make vertical placement and pleasant alignment for many elements quite awkward, so correcting the template may be more time consuming than starting fresh.

The only 'template' I'd prepare would be to put one of each commonly placed element somewhere on the map, so you can copy&paste instead of manoeuvring through the vehicle-tree and decyphering class names.

We do it manually too, I have also coded a door like script that players on "the list" can remove/add any number of objects on the map when clicking on an infostand.

Basically its normally attached to a h-barrier wall but have tested it with an aircraft hanger lol.

And templating, like ekroemer says, isnt a working really...

We do the same sort of thing: Get with the clan, talk about location and wants/desires, then build a base in the Editor. I then edit the .sqf and add it into a file called map_updates I placed MPMission\Chenarus directory. Then I add a line near the bottom of the init.sqf that reads something like this: [] ExecVM "map_updates\altar2.sqf";   

This directs the server to load the base to the map on restart. I can turn off the file as needed by adding a // to the beginning of the execute line, or by remove all reference to the base from the files. 

Hope this helps, I know different providers have different setups, but this works for me. BTW, I use Vert Hosting.