Updating Scripts/Mods

fr1nk

Hi folks. Looking to get some advice from the more experienced on different ways to manage a server and patch updates. Running a heavily-modified server with many extra scripts, I find that moving from update to update can be a bit time-consuming, given all the file changes required. Since the Epoch team is so active and frequent with their patches (a nice problem to have, by the way :) ), a lot of time is spent updating.

I've been rebuilding my server at the pace of a crippled mule (my host has crashed and burned my servers twice in the past 2 months, so I've actually been able to simply reinstall everything from scratch each patch since 1.0.1.1) - it hasn't been an issue right now...but would like to hear from folks with heavily-modified servers how you do it. 

What do you find the most efficient way?

Thanks

personally i keep a copy of all files on my laptop and then when the new version is released i use the compare feature of notepad ++ to compare the edited files to the new files and simply move the required stuff to the new files.

this its just the case of uploading the new files

Hey
I'm a professional programmer by trade and the most important tool I use is version control (Mercurial/Tortoise HG).

And I keep all my files on bitbucket...

The basic flow goes:

Open file and make changes and commit (take shapshot).
Change file again and commit.

Now you will be able to see the changes you have made.

Let me explain a little...

Version control keeps a running history of files, it allows you to see the difference between different versions of a file. It is a complete history of a set of files.

So the running history of my server files look like this:

3OE3c.png

I can revert my code to any version and view what has change between commits. Here is another view:

3OEbq.png

So now when Epoch updates, I commit first make sure everything has been captured then copy ALL the epoch mission/server files and OVERWRITE.

Now when I view the changes, I can see everything that has changed and can start sorting the files out.

I don't want to boast but my mission/server files are probably one of the most customized out there and it takes me an hour or so to update my server.

I have to say though, it does take abit to get your head around and I suggest looking on YouTube for tutorials.

Thanks for the advice! I'm not a programmer but I work in an IT shop and all the guys use something called MKS for version control...although the mere mention of "MKS" causes audible groans from everyone...so I'm guessing it's not that great of a tool lol..

Will give Tortoise a try :)