Walking Dead Zombies

MisterSunshine

Question

I will start with, I am a major noob when it comes to coding of any kind. I am trying to get the zombies walking only, no more balls to the wall sprint to close distance. I have done this easily with vanilla DayZ but I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to work with DayZ Epoch. I change forceSpeed to 2 in control_zombieAgent.sqf but they still run at full speed.

So then I tried looking around for another zombie chase code in other files. I went into zombie_agent.fsm and changed the forceSpeed in the chase area to 2 as well. This makes the zombies stop running but they don't appear to be "seeing" the player. They will move toward a player if the player makes a noise but I can run in front of them and they continue to loiter. If I move within strike range the zombie will still attack. 

I've not messed with the FSM file before and I'm not sure what it is used for but is it a "no-no" to edit it? Does anyone have a suggestion of where to look to try to make the zombies walk and still chase the player on sight? Any suggestions on what I may be doing wrong?

Also, I am hosting the server on an HP mini server at my house for a small number of friends to play around on. Not serious at all but we like the "Walking Dead" zombies style. If you think walking zombies would be too difficult to get working with Epoch let me know. I like the traders and economy system of Epoch but I am open to other mods that may work better for us.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Can you please explain how you did it?

Where i Find the file to change and what exactly i have to change?

would be very nice, greetz Scarlet

Sure, just extract dayz_code.pbo, in the compile folder open control_zombieAgent.sqf. Scroll down to the "//CHASE TARGET" section and change "_agent forceSpeed 8" to "_agent forceSpeed 2" (without quotes of course). (This may not be required now but I haven't tested it without the change and it works like this)

Then I had to go to the system folder in the pbo and open zombie_agent.fsm find the chase state and make the change from 8 to 2 in there as well.

Repack your pbo and update it on all the clients that will be connecting and sign the files as needed. (I turn off checking for signed pbos on my server since it's locked and used be a few close friends.) If you need more info let me know and I will try to help out.

Also, this does make the zombies not as scary as the running zombies. I suggest turning up there damage and increasing the number of max zombies and number of zombies each building spawns to keep them a threat. This may slow your server down but I don't see changing the client pbo for a public server anyway so shouldn't be a problem with a small group of friends playing. Like I said I have a cheap HP miniserver running my DayZ server and we don't have much lag at all with a small group of 4-5 just playing around.

sounds good. I would like to try this as Iam also a fan of the Romero style zombies. WOULD BE GRAND to have a few different animations and zombies to go with this. Wonder how hard it would be to import the zombie animations from the amar 2 UNDEAD mod. have you seen the slow walking zombies in that ? zome of the animations look amazing.  Check this and see what I mean and let me know if you think it could be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuvttFLgIB8

I'm looking around and experimenting to see if there is any way of making those changes within the mission file by using a custom dayz_code within the mission file. That would eliminate the changes on the clients.

Let me know how it goes mate, that would be bloody amazing, if we could get the walkers working with new animations thrown in!! With the excisting dayz animation and the two from the Undead mod, that would give a good variation and have the game pick a random skin for the zombies when they spawn. I AM sure there is a way, but I have not messed around with scripting and new skins since operation flashpoint days :)

Any update on this? I really want to implement this on my server! Thanks. I cannot get it to work by altering forcespeed to 2 in the zombie_agent.sfm in the dayz_code.pbo located on my servers' @Dayz_Epoch folder.

Edit: Is it possible to call something serverside out of the dayz_code.pbo "system" folder? (as it is with the compile folder)  That way I can just call the zombie_agent.fsm serverside from a different location than the game-client would normaly do so then it would be possible to make the zombies act like walkers. 

Thanks for your replies

I'm looking around and experimenting to see if there is any way of making those changes within the mission file by using a custom dayz_code within the mission file. That would eliminate the changes on the clients.

Any update on this? I really want to implement this on my server! Thanks. I cannot get it to work by altering forcespeed to 2 in the zombie_agent.sfm in the dayz_code.pbo located on my servers' @Dayz_Epoch folder.

Edit: Is it possible to call something serverside out of the dayz_code.pbo "system" folder? (as it is with the compile folder)  That way I can just call the zombie_agent.fsm serverside from a different location than the game-client would normaly do so then it would be possible to make the zombies act like walkers. 

Thanks for your replies

First post gets to be a helpful one YAY! anyway, I've been looking into this myself as I enjoyed the idea. You need to put 3 files into your fixes folder:

These two come from the dayz_code/compile folder:

control_zombieAgent.sqf

zombie_generate.sqf

this one in dayz_code/system:

zombie_agent.fsm

and of course compiles.sqf

Make the changes to control_zombieAgent.sqf and zombie_agent.fsm then find the following lines in your compiles.sqf:

Line: 40 (in 1.0.2.4)
//control_zombieAgent = 		compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "\z\addons\dayz_code\compile\control_zombieAgent.sqf";

Line: 68 (in 1.0.2.4)
zombie_generate = 			compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "\z\addons\dayz_code\system\zombie_generate.sqf";

and change them to:

control_zombieAgent = 		compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "fixes\control_zombieAgent.sqf";

zombie_generate = 			compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "fixes\zombie_generate.sqf";

Edit zombie_generate.sqf. Find the line:

//Start behavior
_id = [_position,_agent] execFSM "\z\addons\dayz_code\system\zombie_agent.fsm";

and change it to:

//Start behavior
_id = [_position,_agent] execFSM "fixes\zombie_agent.fsm";

Finally edit init.sqf to call on your modified compiles file. No more need to distribute modified dayz_code.pbo's or disable signature verification.

I'm loving the idea of some more slower moving zeds in the game. I'm wondering if there's a way to start adding in my own slower moving, more harmless zeds that will spawn separately to the current ones. Possibly more so in certain areas of my choosing?

I'd love to get this tested so I have the possibility of having a majority of slow moving zeds and increase the amount that spawn but still have the current faster running zeds that will attack you.

My current chain of thought is to check out the viral zeds which were implemented recently and the bloodsuckers from Namalsk since they're a separate entity in themselves which spawn and interact with the players.

Any help or guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sure, just extract dayz_code.pbo, in the compile folder open control_zombieAgent.sqf. Scroll down to the "//CHASE TARGET" section and change "_agent forceSpeed 8" to "_agent forceSpeed 2" (without quotes of course). (This may not be required now but I haven't tested it without the change and it works like this)

Have you had any luck with any other speeds? Was playing around with different settings but it seems like it's either a full sprint or a slow walk. 

This requires an additional client download, very small but good for small community servers I guess. Would people be interested in a guide on the following zombie types, they are slow moving zombies which are blind, they are heavily drawn to the player if they are bleeding and are also aggroed in by sound. The numbers of them is highly increased and are headshot only with the ability to kneecap them to slow them further

http://www.twitch.tv/ekjuicifer/b/473010994?t=9m51s

This requires an additional client download, very small but good for small community servers I guess. Would people be interested in a guide on the following zombie types, they are slow moving zombies which are blind, they are heavily drawn to the player if they are bleeding and are also aggroed in by sound. The numbers of them is highly increased and are headshot only with the ability to kneecap them to slow them further

http://www.twitch.tv/ekjuicifer/b/473010994?t=9m51s

Hell Yes!

First post gets to be a helpful one YAY! anyway, I've been looking into this myself as I enjoyed the idea. You need to put 3 files into your fixes folder:

These two come from the dayz_code/compile folder:

control_zombieAgent.sqf

zombie_generate.sqf

this one in dayz_code/system:

zombie_agent.fsm

and of course compiles.sqf

Make the changes to control_zombieAgent.sqf and zombie_agent.fsm then find the following lines in your compiles.sqf:

Line: 40 (in 1.0.2.4)
//control_zombieAgent = 		compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "\z\addons\dayz_code\compile\control_zombieAgent.sqf";

Line: 68 (in 1.0.2.4)
zombie_generate = 			compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "\z\addons\dayz_code\system\zombie_generate.sqf";

and change them to:

control_zombieAgent = 		compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "fixes\control_zombieAgent.sqf";

zombie_generate = 			compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "fixes\zombie_generate.sqf";

Edit zombie_generate.sqf. Find the line:

//Start behavior
_id = [_position,_agent] execFSM "\z\addons\dayz_code\system\zombie_agent.fsm";

and change it to:

//Start behavior

Finally edit init.sqf to call on your modified compiles file. No more need to distribute modified dayz_code.pbo's or disable signature verification.

This needs to be pointed out if your a dumbass like me as it took me a long time to work it out. But the OP has misspelled 

zombie_generate =             compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "fixes\zombie_generate.sqf";

This should actually read 

zombie_generate =             compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "fixes\zombie_generate.sqf";

also in the init.sqf file you should replace the original compiles call 

//call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "\z\addons\dayz_code\init\compiles.sqf"; //Compile regular functions

with your own call which will read something like

call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "fixes\compiles.sqf";

If you need any further help getting this to work post here and I will help you get it running

This needs to be pointed out if your a dumbass like me as it took me a long time to work it out. But the OP has misspelled 

This should actually read 

zombie_generate =             compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "fixes\zombie_generate.sqf";

also in the init.sqf file you should replace the original compiles call 

//call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "\z\addons\dayz_code\init\compiles.sqf"; //Compile regular functions

with your own call which will read something like

call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "fixes\compiles.sqf";

If you need any further help getting this to work post here and I will help you get it running

You will also need to copy the wild_spawnZombies.sqf from dayz_code\compile

and put it in your fixes folder.

After that edit wild_spawnZombies.sqf go to the last line :

//Start behavior
_id = [_position,_agent] execFSM "\z\AddOns\dayz_code\system\zombie_agent.fsm";

and replace it by  :

//Start behavior

Next, you need to edit your compile.sqf to overpass the original wild_spawnZombies.sqf

go this line :

wild_spawnZombies = 		compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "\z\addons\dayz_code\compile\wild_spawnZombies.sqf";			//Server compile, used for loiter behaviour

and replace by this :

wild_spawnZombies = 		compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "fixes\wild_spawnZombies.sqf";			//Server compile, used for loiter behaviour

This will prevent EVERY Zombies to run and made them walk.

Have you had any luck with any other speeds? Was playing around with different settings but it seems like it's either a full sprint or a slow walk. 

I have the same issue here, please let me know if you found something  :)

I also found how to modify the damage handler for Zombies so they now became almost headshot-only to kill

I used the fn_damageHandlerZ.sqf from mmmyum

(source here : http://opendayz.net/threads/release-mmmyums-zed-changes-quantity-ai-spawning-permaloot-permazeds-more.12435/)

to do that you need to add the fn_damageHandlerZ.sqf  from mmmyum and put it into your fixes folder

then go to your compile.sqf and find this line : 

local_zombieDamage = 		compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "\z\addons\dayz_code\compile\fn_damageHandlerZ.sqf";

and replace it by this : 

local_zombieDamage = 		compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "fixes\fn_damageHandlerZ.sqf";	

now you have badass Zombies 

I have the same issue here, please let me know if you found something   :)

Haven't played with this much since I first tried...but headshot-only zombies are great. Some of the more powerful rifles will still take down a zed in 2-4 chest shots, but I've also seen some take 20-40 shots of lower grade ammo (stanag/AK) before they die. 

Was wondering why some walk and others run...didn't make the change to the wild_spawnZombies :D

Hi, I need help to get it running not only with client solution. Can you please help me to edit the pbo file? did you try it yet? does it work? thank you from germany.
Feel free to join my room on ts server "publicteamspeak.de" I am usually in "PIXEL´s Box" channel or DAYz channel THANKS!

Hi all,
I've try to add mmmyum's mechanism without client side on my 1.0.2.5 server but nothing works, zed doesn't spawn, and any loot lol. I know its my bad but I dont understand why. I've use the mmmyum files and i've try to make change for work with the lasted epoch version but without succes.

If any one can't help me, i will accept my destiny.. no brain, no pain :D

Thanks

(sry for my english)