Quick and Easy custom map markers

Turtle

Question

So I've seen a lot of people having trouble with the whole world space coordinates thing and so I found a really easy way to add them in without going through much trouble. 

Steps:

- Open Arma 2 OA and press ctrl+E on your keyboard

- Select your map and hit continue. 

- Click on Center at the top right, right click where you want your marker to be, hit new object, then hit ok. 

REPEAT ^^^ FOR Group and then for Unit in the same spot. 

- In the top right of the screen click on "Markers (F6)"

- Now find on the map where you want to put your marker and right click -> New Object

- The Name isn't necessary but you can put one if you want. The Text is what will show up on the map.

- Select your Shape (I personally leave it on icon so it isn't annoying on the map.) Type - waypoint, (again it isn't too big but you can choose a different one if you like.) And you don't need to mess with the fill and the Axis unless you know what you are doing.

- Now press save and save it as whatever you like. 

- You can now exit out of Arma. Go to: your Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\Your Profile Name\Missions\Whatever you save your markers as (save this folder for later)

- Go into your the directory of your server files and either create a new folder called custom, scripts, whatever you want or you can use one that you use for your other scripts. (in this case I am using "custom")

- Inside this folder, create a file called "Markers.sqf"

- Go back into your folder that we opened earlier and open up the mission.sqf file. you should see something like this around line 7:

_this = createMarker ["", [4698.5571, 6253.7573, -116.86721]];
_this setMarkerText "Test Marker";
_this setMarkerType "waypoint";
_this setMarkerColor "ColorBlue";
_this setMarkerBrush "Solid";
_marker_2 = _this;

- Copy and paste these lines from YOUR file into the newly created "Markers.sqf"

- go back into your init.sqf and add this line at the very bottom

//Markers
[] execVM "Custom\Markers.sqf";

After that do all the necessary steps to import your files back into your server and you should be good! 

Any problems let me know. 

8 answers to this question

Awesome. There's just one thing I'm wondering about now. I moved my traders and want to remove the old markers which are located in the Epoch_24/mission.sqm file. Should I just go into that file and comment them all out?

And then there's the sensors which designate the trader areas and let players know when they're entering them. I'd like to move those to the new trader positions, but seeing as I'm not planning on using safe zones, I wouldn't mind just disabling them for now if I can't figure out how to move them. When I tried changing their locations it kept throwing a server error.

Oh, forgot to mention. We did this and it only loads the markers for the first person that joins the server. I think my buddy merged the markers into a file with everything else though, so maybe that's the problem?

Yeah, we're doing something different then, because I checked and we have it set up this way, it's separate and being called in init file. I don't know why it would be only showing for the first person that joins, but I've seen 2 other people with the same issue as mine.

Do you pack the file into the PBO? We cook most of our stuff into the PBO so that there's not as much for people to download and so our files aren't publicly accessible. Maybe that's where the problem lies?

I'm sure someone has had this issue with something only being called when the mission file is first started. I just don't understand everything about how these files work together yet.

pyro: i could try just doing [] execVM

pyro: but afaik if(isServer) then {execVM "\z\addons\dayz_server\addons\markers.sqf"};

pyro: is more secure

Well, my set up is just

init.sqf:

[] execVM "custom\markers.sqf";

markers.sqf:

_this = createMarker ["Novy", [9578.5264, 11267.628]];
_this setMarkerText "Novy Lug Armory";
_this setMarkerType "waypoint";
_this setMarkerColor "ColorGreen";
_marker_3 = _this;

_this = createMarker ["Zelen", [2530.8008, 5047.6821, -194]];
_this setMarkerText "Zelenogorsk Resupply Base";