upcoming patch introducing colored orbs for bandits/heroes?

ekroemer

Hi folks,

the patch notes say

• [ADDED] Epoch aura, bandits will now have a red orb attached to wrist can only be seen if you have line of sight.
  • [ADDED] Epoch aura, heros will now have a blue orb attached to wrist can only be seen if you have line of sight.

Basically line of sight is line of fire, so does this mean that whenever player A is hiding and has a clear line of fire to player B, player B can see the orb no matter how well concealed player A is?

I'm mostly bandit's victim but imo this comic-esque feature has the potential to ruin gameplay as much as the recruit-level cursor that shows range and type of object.

At least I'd hope you'll make this feature optional to be set server side.

line of sight means you would not see it if you cannot see the persons wrist. It will be no more visible than the gun the person is holding in their hand.

Yes, but.

To shoot someone

• the gun's muzzle must not be hidden behind concealment (afaik even bushes are blocking fire?)
  • the shooter's eye needs to have LOS, at least with ADS

So to me it seems impossible to have shooter's head and gun muzzle in LOS of the victim but the wrist not.

Given that a colored dot is much more visible than a gun, especially a camouflaged one, I think my concern is still valid.

Even more trouble at night if the dot is glowing like the 'tag as friendly' markers.

I'd be interested in knowing why this feature is being added. 

I assume its so we can easily ID bandits, maybe so we can wear the bandit outfit and people still know we are heroes.  Its definitely an anti-bandit tactic as bandits can no longer conceal themselves realistically but then again they can always just shoot first and avoid all player interaction.

Either way I do hope its optional.  Part of the fun is not knowing for sure who you may be working with.

Have any of you had a chance test this out on our dev server? None of these orbs glow including the green friendly orb. This is our equivalent to bandit hero switching and will be used for bounty hunters in the next patch. 

Keep in mind that epoch bases your humanity gains and losses based on the humanity of player. IE player kills a couple of bandits and becomes a hero and vice-versa. Any one not a bandit or hero will have no orb visible of any kind.

camo/ghillie suit can hide this. Also meh to the original dayz this is epoch i love not knowing if players are bandits or not it will take the fun and tension of not knowing who is what.

This here.

We can currently, even as a bandit, change to a skin that doesn't let someone know instantly what your play history is. 

Bandits can currently interact with other players and not have them immediately aware of this.  There are many reasons for this to be valuable, it isn't exclusively about being a sneaky killer.

Do bandits still have the heartbeat? That gives them away at close range?

Also with the Hive Tools that Nightmare has released a server owner should be able to setup a "Bandits" List on their websites/portals if they have one.

Markers for player humanity I feel shouldn't be needed and if added hopefully will have an option in the Init to disable?

I do feel that bandits should have Set Clothing . If a survivor/hero wishes to wear this clothing they run the risk of being labeled a bandit, unless pre-known otherwise not to be.

As a bandit play style is commonly for PVP/Grieving mostly practicing to be a better shot against humans/survivors the difficultly should be a little bit higher as rocket intended.

This here.

We can currently, even as a bandit, change to a skin that doesn't let someone know instantly what your play history is. 

Bandits can currently interact with other players and not have them immediately aware of this.  There are many reasons for this to be valuable, it isn't exclusively about being a sneaky killer.

Also i would just like to add because you have  - humanity dose not = your play style is a bandit what about killing survivors that attack you first ect ect. You then you are labled and a bandit/killer/Griever. PLEASE make this optional.