A question on sides/groups.

male player = west

female player = east

AI = resistance

Sappers/cloaks = ??? assume its resistance

Traders = Civ ( not sure)

animals = ???

other groupings if any.

Looking at adding zed's that attack ai as well.

many thanks

7 answers to this question

There are only four sides in ARMA:

west/BLUFOR - Epoch females

east/OPFOR - Epoch males

resistance/GUER - Epoch AI

civilian/CIV -objects, animals, etc.

Until Epoch players are standardised to a single side you can not have, e.g. AI uninfected fighting AI infected I'm afraid. I'm finally putting a request in to change this in the morning (when I'm sober). Hopefully we can have this in 0.4.

I only spawn dynamic AI outside.of the towns where infected spawn to minimize the immersion problems when AI ignore infected. But if AI can fight infected in the future make sure that you do not have the infected be activated by AI otherwise your server performance will tank through the floor

EDIT: on my server it doesn't work that badly though. I have WAI, BlackEagles and SEM (static and convoy) missions spawning away from towns, Epoch UAV spawned AI and dynamic A3EAI AI in remote/wilderness only. Only time that immersion could be lost is the UAV-initiated and roaming vehicle AI if you encounter them in an urban area.

I'm happy that I got rid of safe zones too - hearing the traders get eaten as you run for your life adds zest to your day :)

Side note: I'd originally thought that I could make use of ARMA's renegade setting but it doesn't seem to work for this from the description on the BI wiki.

Thanks Grahame, that's what I thought after digging in the pbo's.

Might see if I can dump "west/BLUFOR - Epoch females" in flavor of walkers ie: change player selection so only the male is available no matter what character is selected

On a side-note u have WAI working correctly?

No problem. Let me know how you get on, and if I can help in anyway please let me know. Most of my free time is spent admin-ing my server and working on improvements but I do have some limited time and have been reading up both SQF and the Epoch server code in recent times.

WAI is indeed working with two caveats. (1) The code is very old so don't think initially of trying to save mission vehicles and. (2) there is an intermittent bug that causes a mission to glitch on initialization. The error, seen in the RPT file as:

4:55:17 Error in expression <
{

if (_x getVariable ["mission", nil] == _mission) then {

if (alive _x) then >
 4:55:17   Error position: <== _mission) then {

if (alive _x) then >
 4:55:17   Error Generic error in expression
 4:55:17 File x\addons\WAI\compile\mission_winorfail.sqf, line 277

happens rarely but it does happen. The result is that the mission will never complete. Will resolve itself after restart. Will be looking into this. I'm also looking to port the missions (especially the Nuke mission - the main reason I have WAI) into Simple Epoch Missions. Don't think it will be too hard and that framework's code is more recent and seems cleaner, no offence intended to the WAI developers...

well switching sides and the gender selection changes where not a problem, work great AI shot the shit out of the Z's, the Z's clobbered the AI and they both kill the player,

But here it comes, when you (the player) kill a zombie, bottom left messages like "cease fire", "this-bloke is KIA" stuff like that.

So I've knock the idea on the head.

As for WAI, yes same errors with the winorfail.sqf, some finish some don't, the nuke mission was a fizzier for me, no blinding flash, no earth scattering KABOOM, no radiation, just destroyed building for a few hundred meters.

moved on as its beyond limited skills

Currently going through your guide http://epochmod.com/forum/topic/40975-tutorial-putting-the-z-in-epochz/#comment-269337

I can only hope your suggestion/request for additions to sides/groups will be taken up and implemented by the epoch team.