Can't put empty backpack in equipped backpack

phm

Is this by design?  I admit I haven't really been playing Epoch since October, but I used to be able to pick up a backpack and put it in my backpack.  Now it doesn't work even if they're both empty.  They just switch places.  Is this a new hardcore feature?

14 minutes ago, Grahame said:

Open the worn backpack and put the one one the groubd in the backpack. That works for me

I drag the backpack on the ground (empty) to the backpack I'm wearing (empty or not) and the two backpacks switch places.  I know that right-click will always make them switch places.  But even when I drag the one on the ground to the pack (the pack doesn't turn red like there's not enough room), they just switch places.  This has changed.  It used to work.

Definitely works for me did it just today.

Is back pack on ground or on body? If on ground the back pack you are wearing should be open in your inventory screen drag and drop ground back pack into it. If on body take off yours pick up back pack off body and also place on ground. Pick up yours and now drag and drop second back pack as before.

Are there any CUP backpacks in the server? Because some of those are actually carriers for gmg's etc and can't be put in back packs. 

Thanks for this encouragement.  I got it to work, but this is the only way it would work:

• A backpack is encountered lying on the ground
  • I look down at it and press "i".  The inventory menu appears.
  • I drag my equipped pack from my backpack slot to the ground
  • I double click my previously equipped backpack, opening it and creating the "Backpack" tab at the top of the left window
  • Now I click the "Ground" tab
  • I drag the backpack from step 1 to the "Backpack" tab
  • I re-equip my previously equipped backpack

So this is how it's working for everyone and that's cool?  I certainly miss the days I could move one from the ground (or a body for that matter) to my pack by dragging it there.  I guess that wasn't "realistic" enough?

I have nothing other than vanilla Epoch.  CUP is interesting, but the immediate benefit to an unmodified instance of Epoch is immediately clear to me, so my interest isn't there yet.

For me I have not had that problem at all (using latest build). You cannot drag backpack on ground to backpack position in inventory, it will just switch them. Also if you.have items in backpack already, scroll down them to empty space and it will put new backpack in your existing one

13 hours ago, Grahame said:

For me I have not had that problem at all (using latest build). You cannot drag backpack on ground to backpack position in inventory, it will just switch them. Also if you.have items in backpack already, scroll down them to empty space and it will put new backpack in your existing one

Yes, thank you!

This is a bug!  "Realism" can't be the issue here.  I can drag and carry several safes each one capable of storing 20+ weapons or solar panels right to the backpack from the ground.  And I used to be able to drag a backpack from the ground to my equipped backpack (provided there's room of course), but this broke in the last few months.

My primary concern is that the painful process I outlined above will be "good enough" for the developers and this will stay broken forever.

I don't see this as a bug though. If you drag a backpack to the backpack position in your inventory how is it to know whether you want to switch them or put one inside the other?

If you drag into the backpack however the system knows that you're storing it. This seems to make sense to me at least - drag to backpack position, switch and drag into backpack load?

On 5/14/2016 at 7:00 AM, Grahame said:

I don't see this as a bug though. If you drag a backpack to the backpack position in your inventory how is it to know whether you want to switch them or put one inside the other?

If you drag into the backpack however the system knows that you're storing it. This seems to make sense to me at least - drag to backpack position, switch and drag into backpack load?

A few months back, I was able to drag a backpack on the ground to my equipped backpack.  That no longer works.  A bug has been introduced that broke the previous functionality.  Looting is an integral part of the Epoch experience.  Anything that slows it down, increasing the risk of a sapper or darter crew of materializing 20 feet away resulting in certain death, is not desirable.

Now, if you're saying you like the bug, that's something else altogether.  But I utterly assure you it used to work.  Perhaps it got broken when the code was obfuscated to attempt to prevent people from configuring a server instance.  That code obfuscation seems to be a really big priority for the developers right now.  It adds no additional functionality, it only breaks things.

I think you misunderstood me. I can still (on build 440) drag a backpack into a backpack on my server. I thought you were saying that you were dragging it to the backpack position on your inventory... I have stored several backpacks in the last few days in my CarryAll without a problem...