Why was "move" feature removed?

KPABATOK

• Removed base object "Move" in 3d option in favor of a more refined "ghost" snap mode.

I really liked this thing, was very useful when you want to place jammer, shelf or lockbox just in right angle, you could move the item as long as the timer was ticking, so you didn't need to start from scratch everytime you do something wrong (and removing shelf gives you only 2 metals).

I haven't tested yet this "ghost" snap mode refined thingy, but fact is, that now when you press build a jammer and place it, the timer is ticking and you no longer can move it and place somewhere else etc. It wouldn't be much of an issue if "END" function worked correctly, which brings things closer to you. Because now it is just moves back away as soon as you release END button, which is very annoying bug to me in 0.3 patch.

As mentioned in the changelog we are going to focus more on the other mode of building and phase out this other way as it is more costly for performance and is know to be a bit dangerous. The code still exists for now and is still used on the initial placement of objects we do not want to be sunk into the ground or other objects.

I posted in another thread then found this one.

Since removing the move feature we are having serious mortar issues.  Everytime I want to move a wall I have to remove it then build and upgrade a whole new one.  I'm only getting some cinder back and never mortar.  It's getting beyond a joke now, my group goes base raiding purely for mortar.

Please add back in the ability to move base objects once build as the snap mode is very restrictive.  How can you now place cinder walls flat?

Fiddy

First of all, mortar is pretty easy to find when you have shipping containers and trashpiles and blue tarps (I guess that's how they are called), I find tons of mortar in them. If you have a group it should be even easier to get building materials. I build bases alone and see no problem. Slower process but I do less mistakes since I plan my building upfront and use stud walls first to see if I like the design and only then upgrade to cinder walls.

Removing cinder wall gives you all cinder back, not just part of it, but all cinder, so you only need 3 mortars to make a full cinder wall again. Unless you are playing in a server where it requires 4 cinder blocks to build half wall, then that server is messed up and doesn't have default settings. To build a half cinder wall you need 2 cinders and 2 mortars. You can remove it and get 2 cinders back. You can build full cinder wall, requires 2 cinders 2 mortars and then for upgrade 2 cinders and 1 mortar. You remove it and you get 4 cinder blocks back.

Check your server, click on cinder block or mortar and see how many cinders it requires to build a half wall. It should say 2 cinders, not 4 (it was like that before, but after 0.3 patch it changed). If your server says 4, switch the server because admins had no idea what they were doing while installing Epoch unless it is really some kind of a bug, but I really doubt it.

As for the MOVE function, I agree, it was very useful especially for placing jammers, shelfs and lockboxes, I stopped using MOVE fucntion while building actual base since it is obsolete now because of ghost snapping. As I remember, Axeman vbawol said that they are aiming to revamp building completely and I believe (just my guess, not actual developers) that physical MOVE function will not come back, but instead it will be (and should be) like in Exile, where you can move any wall any time with ghost snap mode and replace it again how you want. This would improve building a lot, but I am not sure if this is how it's gonna be.

But I would be happy if it was at least still possible to move shelfs, lockboxes without removing them first.

Edited by KPABATOK

As a Server Admin, If you have an issue with the item loss due to removals then you can change the items that are returned via the CfgBaseBuilding config removeParts array. This config can be added to your description.ext and will override ours, this is so you can in effect make the base object removal give the exact parts used to craft the item. 

https://github.com/EpochModTeam/Epoch/blob/master/Sources/epoch_config/Configs/CfgBaseBuilding.hpp

I understand there are certain cases that the move in 3d "Move" option will still be needed so we are not removing it exactly.

Edited by vbawol