Creating servers with Maps Like Tavi and Panthera

snafu0185

Question

Hey

So  I've bumbled around for a while trying to learn what I can with epoch and I've set some goals id like to achieve.

I want to create a server with tavi or panthera and add extra vehicle's to it (some with weapons).Here it comes your thinking, I want you to just give me the files. Well that would be a pointless goal. I want to actually learn  how to do it for my self.

Now I've read lots of topics were people ask for and expect to be handed the golden ticket. I stoped reading them because the general theme was asking then whining cause nobody would give it to them so nothing really useful. So what I'm asking for please if some of you Knowledgeable types Epoch gods if you will can put some links or give me some where to start maybe a list of reading material that I can learn from. What I don't want is a tutorial telling me the hole deal.  Again I want to learn it my self and who knows maybe by having this in one place may inspire others to learn it.

Thanks in advance

Snafu

17 answers to this question

You can port any map to Epoch, you just have to make sure things like world name and fixed positions are changed.

For example if you took the Altis files you have the spawn/debug box in a fixed location, on another map that location would still be valid but the terrain would be different, it could be under water, it could be floating in the air, same deal with the fixed traders.

So anything that has fixed coordiates needs adapted, vehicles don't as they find a safe suitable location, the script that spawns them looks for roads and water.

You can use the A2 files for most info, things like the center point, map size haven't changed.

So open the Altis files and anything with Altis you can change to Panthera, most fixed objects are in the mission.sqm and the config files.

@epochhive\addons\a3_epoch_server_settings\a3_epoch_server_settings\configs\maps contains all the map specific info, change to suit.

Thanks Richie

I appreciate your reply. So that accounts for things like the mission file etc I guess. How do I get positional data in epoch  in the epoch  dayz mod I used to go stand in a paddock  somewhere wait for the database to update  and then open the database and get my world space address there's got to be a better way though and  does epoch still use the same world space system if so where can I learn how to understand what each number means etc. I mean im guessing its latitude longitude height and which way its facing but in what  order ?

and again any pointers greatly appreciated

so once I understand how the coordinates work I will start dissecting altis and learn how it works and go from there

one more question will I need the aia file for say panthera 3.1?

Again many thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Snafu

Edited by snafu0185

Place an object down in the editor, I'd use Macas awesome m3editor, then save to .sqf and grab the coordinates from that :)

Use small objects like barrels for precise placement.

Panthera does require AiA TP, look under required addons on the download page.

You could always choose a new map, Lost Island Pack looks awesome but requires @Jbad to work, smaller than AiA TP at least.

@ Richie

I have all the files in place having some issues but the server wont start(Im getting lost) I think its in the way im accessing the new map etc from the mpmission, mission.sqm

addOns[] = {"a3_map_LostIslandPack"};
	addOnsAuto[] = {"a3_map_LostIslandPack"};

what does the line  randomSeed= 10755213 relate to

on another note is this section in the config.cpp in the a3_epoch_server_settings refer to the spawn room and where the exits go to?

telePos[] = {
        { "Transport_W_EPOCH", { 1009.76, 2023.75, 0.224995 }, "", { 4569.52, 4524.24, 0.201431 } }, // South West
        { "Transport_E_EPOCH", { 1040.27, 2023.47, 0.224995 }, "", { 12077.8, 5121.92, 0.00144958 } }, // South East
        { "Transport_N_EPOCH", { 1024.91, 2031.31, 0.224995 }, "", { 10688.6, 9428.98, 0.00144958 } } // North East
};
telePosCenter[] = {1025, 2025, 0};

RandomSeed i have no idea what that does, I used to think it was weather related but i'm honestly not sure.

For addons try :

addOns[] = {"A3_Soft_F_Car","A3_Soft_F_Quadbike","a3_soft_f_beta_quadbike","A3_Boat_F_Civilian_Boat","A3_Boat_F_Boat_Transport_01","A3_Air_F_Heli_Light_01","A3_Air_F_Heli_Heli_Transport_04","A3_Air_F_Heli_Heli_Transport_03","a3_map_LostIslandPack","a3_characters_f_gamma","A3_Characters_F_OPFOR","A3_Characters_F_INDEP","A3_Characters_F_Civil","A3_epoch_config","a3_characters_f","A3_Data_F_Curator_Virtual"};
 addOnsAuto[] = {"A3_epoch_config","a3_map_LostIslandPack"};

The config.cpp code you have are the 3 portals in the debug/clone room, Transport_W_EPOCH is the classname of the portal on the floor, W being West, then E is East, N is North and there is also an (optional) C for center, the coordinates after are the location of the portal and the 2nd set of coordinates are where the portal teleports you to.

I am so glad I run into this thread... I was actually thinking on getting a Panthera Map to work using the location for the traders as in the Panthera for Arma 2 Epoch.

I know I can use the coordinates from the panthera2 mission.sqm

However in the arma2 epoch there is a class for sensors. which i know is very helpful if you want to introduce a safe zone.

How can we get that for arma3? Is it possible ? or the new safe zone scripts need to be edited with the coordinates of the markers?

I am still learning ... but it is hella fun.

Anyways, I was wondering if can i get a short list of what files that need to be edited. or at least if someone can verify the steps that i considered in order to port the new map.

Here is what I have discovered so far reading through forums and using my knowledge from arma2:

-I need to edit or create a new mission.sqm using an existing map or in the editor

-i need to create a panthera.h file using an existing one.

- in that file i have to incorporate all the "props" that I use in order to create the trader cities and vendor positions. I would also have to edit NPC with new ones if i want to create new.

For now these would be some important things that I want to figure out so any help would be  greatly appreciated by praising the people that help ... :)))) ... i could even offer my cans of beans :) I could survive on MRE's.

I've actully started an official Panthera port :)

Once people give me feedback and bug reports for Sahrani i'll have a Panthera server running.

Awol will then include the new ports with each update, 0.3.0.4 will see Australia, Esseker and more released, hopefully Sahrani if people jump on and test with me.

For some reason I thought that Panthera would not be ported as Icebrkr was not inclined in allowing his map to be official in Epoch. But maybe i missunderstood.

In any case I would love to help as I can with bug reports, but I would also want to mess around with the panthera map until it will be ported, if.

So based on my previous post, does that look like the right idea in terms of the transition to a Panthera ?

ok so I created the new file panthera3.h in the a3_epoch_server_settings/configs/maps/ and also changed the config.cpp to include the file.

inside the panthera3.h i removed all the static positions as i may add later once i decide what to do with the traders.

created a mission.sqm from the editor with the map panthera on.

copied a description.ext and i started the server with epoch, aiatp and panthera

when tryng to log in the game i got this error

No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgWorlds.Panthera'

so my question is where and why do i get this error?