whats the deal with the rendering on tops of hills around altis?

boaby

so as the title suggests me and friends are having issues with the rendering on tops of hills around altis , players/rocks appear to be floating as the ground they are on hasn't rendered properly and is invisible till you get closer. I don't get this issue on other mods only epoch. why if its the same map? , can it be fixed? as its rather annoying.

I leave some footage here that shows what I am talking about  (its at 7:45 into the footage).....

strange though that I don't get it on breaking point altis , the first time I really noticed it was epoch. dunno what the guys at breaking point have done to the map but these places look fine there and no loading/rendering issues.

It's annoying as hell and my main complaint on Arma 3.  At first I thought it had to do with view / object distance settings, but with offline play I could not reproduce it.

The annoying part is that you can still see the player if they are laying on the other side of that hill with the top cut off, this is bad for both players as the one on the hill thinks his concealed but isn't and for the other if he takes what he thinks is a clean shot, actually hits the invisible ground.  Another issue is players sinking into the ground when on hills...also hard to hit a player when he is underground

So it seems to be an ARMA 3 server thing, but what setting to change to fix it server or client side ...no idea.     I would think that world objects would purely be drawn on the client side but who knows

If its an arma thing I dont understand why I dont have the issue in breaking point altis , maybe theyve tweaked a few settings I dunno but never experienced this issue at all on BP only epoch.

Maybe they force a certain view distance and you can't see far enough to notice it?  Dunno.  Like they've said, I've noticed it with both Arma 2 and 3.

Maybe they force a certain view distance and you can't see far enough to notice it?  Dunno.  Like they've said, I've noticed it with both Arma 2 and 3.

BP have alway´s had 1400m+ view distance.

Edit: Feels like the have a higher graphics setting then Epoch cause its always looked super good and better than all the official Epoch servers I have been on.

Edit 2: I´m probably disliked by both Epoch and BP´s devs as I defend, criticise and compare the mods on both forums : )  

It's annoying as hell and my main complaint on Arma 3.  At first I thought it had to do with view / object distance settings, but with offline play I could not reproduce it.

The annoying part is that you can still see the player if they are laying on the other side of that hill with the top cut off, this is bad for both players as the one on the hill thinks his concealed but isn't and for the other if he takes what he thinks is a clean shot, actually hits the invisible ground.  Another issue is players sinking into the ground when on hills...also hard to hit a player when he is underground

So it seems to be an ARMA 3 server thing, but what setting to change to fix it server or client side ...no idea.     I would think that world objects would purely be drawn on the client side but who knows

It's like this to simulate size compared to distance from player. It's like that for AI too.

It's like this to simulate size compared to distance from player. It's like that for AI too.

But it seems to be only when connected to a server issue....I cannot reproduce this offline, Even if I lower the view and object distance it just removes visibility to that object, not distorting the terrain.  

But it seems to be only when connected to a server issue....I cannot reproduce this offline, Even if I lower the view and object distance it just removes visibility to that object, not distorting the terrain.  

This was in reference to the player sinking into the ground. I see it in offline as well no matter what video settings are at.

This seems to occur when the terraindetail setting is too low, my guess is that it is forced by the server as I run everything on ultra.  So since the BP team run their servers they probably have them all set the same.....however with the plethora of Epoch servers, (unless it is forced in the Epoch code) your results may very.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=8658

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is performance, but still puzzled on why that would happen....increased load should be on the client as that's where the drawing of these static items happens.   I can see why increased view distance would cause the server to use more resources because it has to send any player / object info for 1700 vs a 1200m view distance.

Be nice for an Epoch dev to chime in here to clarify 

This was in reference to the player sinking into the ground. I see it in offline as well no matter what video settings are at.

The reason players "sink into the ground" in ARMA when very far away from you is to reduce their signature since at that range vegetation that would normally hide them is not rendered. It's a cheat the game does to allow players to blend in at long range.

I´d expect small hosts to have a lower terrain detail setting but official and larger communites should def have good enough specs.

Edit: If Breaking Point can have a higher setting with 1500m view distance, 100 players and tons of zombies, bases, storage, more loot containers and so on why cant Epoch?