Help us learn from your mistakes

Irish_BoB

Question

Hey guys, Irish_BoB here and im a flithy bandit....Its been 8 hours since my last murder :mellow:

The Dayz mod in its various forms has been my primary game since about August 2012 and I still to this day get 'those dayz feels'. I've been a long time player on numerous servers over the years, putting in a shamefull amount of hours into this game (lets not get bogged down in numbers but suffice to say its at least 2.5k hrs that i don't even want back)

Its only recently that I've thought about launching my own server, tailored to my liking. I'm completely new to adding scripts to a server, however,all the helpful guides on this forum have helped immensely and i seem to be getting on OK.

Basically I was wondering if any of the experienced scripters and server admins have any advice for a budding server admin like myself.....Stuff they would of liked to know when they were starting out, stuff that might be hidden somewhere on this forum if I looked hard enough, Stuff like :

• Do any scripts benefit from installing them in a particular order and if so what should be first?
  • Are there any scripts that just work really well together (pp4l, SnapPro, vector etc)
  • Which scripts in your experience are the best in their field at what they do (which SelfBB script, which Tow&Lift script, Deploy bike etc.)
  • How do i get rid of the default vehicle wrecks everywhere (sorry, common question im sure)
  • What combination of antihacks should I use? Is infistar worth it (I know its not supported on this forum)
  • Any tools that you feel are just helpful in anyway?

Obviously they're just examples but truthfully, I and others im sure would be grateful for any advice to help u son our journey. Im sure I'll stumble onto the answer to all these from trial and error but I'd love to hear your opinions.

Thanks if you make it this far :)

5 answers to this question

Haha ye, I know the feeling....I'd love to see the distance i've (Virtually) walked over the years (dam you Tansien ;) )

But what I meant is there are like 5 deploy bike scripts, 5 self bloodbag scripts etc....which script seems to do what it does the best, like is there a consensus or i guess its just personal preferance...

We run a bunch of scripts on our A2 Epoch servers with no troubles.

Anit-hack: the best one is active admins.

Second-best is to run BE with the latest filters.

The big gain with a purchased admin tool is that BE filters are provided for most popular addons. If you can tackle that bit then see the above.

Having an admin tool that permits you to clone keys, unlock vehicles, spawn vehicles and read safe and lock box combos is handy

A good object and delete tool is helpful

There are some good admin tools around for free which you can further modify to suite your needs.

Deployable bike scripts differ primarily in what building materials are needed (ours uses a toolbox) and what you get back when you deconstruct it. The same goes for SelfBB. Epoch provides a selfBB now so the addons have less role these days.

The rest is really up to you and you can configure any of them to change these parameters.

The changekey script as developed by otternas and maintained by others is popular and works pretty well.

if you cater to people who build alot then snap build pro and vector build are worth the time, and are available as pre-prepared packages you basically plug in. For a server for builders,  I would look into right click buildables.

If you wish to use lift/tow check the A3 forums for links to some newer scripts with nicer interfaces and modernized code.

Keep an eye on the number of objects on the server. Keep the base destruction time low enough that < 5-6K objects are on the server at any time.