Civilian replacement

jj808

From what i was able to gather they were upset that money was being made (somehow) from their mod. I think they saw that some servers were allowing people to donate money to receive certain "donator perks" that included vehicles that were included in the mod. Personally i think that is ludicrous on their part but its their mod so they have control. Their mod was being used as a integral part of a larger mod that was getting their work out there to be seen. By requesting the Epoch team to stop using it they shot themselves in the foot big time. Now their mod goes back to the hole it was in and their work goes back to obscurity. The big loss really belongs to them! 

The cars were a totally separate group of people from Rocket. I am guessing that the developers that made the car mod wanted to exercise some control over their intellectual property no matter how flimsy the reasoning was. The epoch developers decided to take the high road and comply i guess. 

I was asked by the author Vilas to remove them as he said they are for personal use only and that he did not approve of us or server owners accepting donations. Please do not start any drama with Vilas over this as it is his content so he can do what he wants with it. I am sure we will come up with something much cooler instead.

It sounds like Vbawol already has something in mind as a replacement.

Vilas have said before that he has no interest in his work being used in any dayz mod related projects - which is fair enough imo.

We will just end up with something even better ;)

Mod use permission has been an issue of integrity since OFP first allowed them.  Using someone else's mod without permission (when available) is in bad taste and looked down on heavily by the ARMA community.

When a mod author releases his/her mod it is for community use for free.  Any use of the mod beyond what the original mod maker released to the public needs permission.

This is an honor system that has been around for over a decade and has helped keep the addon quality high over the years. 

While I don't understand why Vilas made his choice the bottom line is the Epoch team is doing the right thing by removing his work from the mod since it was the original mod maker's request. 

as long as the makers of epoch dont sell their mod for money its still FOR FREE i would say?

so this argument is just billshut... not more not less...

Sure that's your opinion.  Many agree with it, the author of a particular addon disagrees.

But the bottom line is ARMA addons have for over a decade been respected by the community as a whole.  The attitude of once its released anyone can do anything they want Without the author's permission is just plain selfish and childish. 

When an author asks that their addon not be used; the ARMA community respects it even if the reason is BillShut.