Creating a database on dedicated server

CrimsonGrim

Question

I'm a bit new to this so I apologize in advance.  I've tried searching for someone with a similar problem, but it's opening more questions than it's answering.

I've got my server running on a dedicated machine and everything runs fine while the server is up.  I can log out and log in and my character/data is saved/loaded with no problems.  

When I restart the server everything is lost (database isn't loading I assume).

Attached is a screencap of how I have it setup and is running.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

post-28047-0-07670600-1420050062_thumb.p

7 answers to this question

Do you kill redis on server restarts?

I physically only restart my server once per month (windows updates) and redis keep running 24/7 , and no problems occur when server restarts.

I also make an hourly backup using redis-cli.exe tester -a   (this forces the creation of dump.rdb which I then backup to a safe location.

When you need to shutdown redis I'd do the same , then kill it's task. You will see the huge 4Gb file being deleted with only dump.rdb remaining (which gets reloaded when you start redis again).

I'll dig some RPT files to see what you should expect to see in those .

This is the relevant part in the serverlog RPT file :

20:02:36 "Epoch: Starting ArmA3 Epoch Server, Version 0.2.5.2"
20:02:36 "Epoch: Init Variables"
20:02:36 "Epoch: Start Hive, Instance ID: 'NA123'"
20:02:36 "Epoch: Init PublicEH"
20:02:36 "Epoch: Setup Side Settings"

Is yours the same?

Do you kill redis on server restarts?

Yes.  I want to make sure if my server were to crash that nothing is lost.  That being said, even when I just restart the server without restarting redis, the hive still fails to load on restart.

Where should I look for the RPT file log?  I'm not seeing it in my DB directory.

The server logs are in the SC folder. For example : arma3server_2015-01-01_20-00-06.rpt

When you look in the DB folder, do you see a dump.rdb which gets updated every once in a while? THAT is the file that is read when redis starts; something might be seriously wrong if it doesn't. So make bloody sure you don't delete that one on server restarts :)