Dedicated server...Do I need it?

ChickenPrism

I have always assumed that getting a dedicated server would give me better performance. However recently someone told me that if I don't buy one of the higher end dedicated servers it might actually be a downgrade. I need some advice pronto!

I simply want to run one ARMA2 DayZ Overpoch server on it, but I do like the idea of being able to also add an ARMA3 server when the time comes.

The dedicated server I was looking to purchase is from Vilayer (I currently rent a standard game server through them). Was thinking of getting the budget i5 2500k @ 3.3GHZ, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 100 MBit/s Uplink Port (Do I need the 1GBit/s??)

That setup will cost me roughly $100.00 US per month as opposed to the $30.00 per month I pay now. Is it better? Do you get what you pay for?

Please help!

I have always assumed that getting a dedicated server would give me better performance. However recently someone told me that if I don't buy one of the higher end dedicated servers it might actually be a downgrade. I need some advice pronto!

I simply want to run one ARMA2 DayZ Overpoch server on it, but I do like the idea of being able to also add an ARMA3 server when the time comes.

The dedicated server I was looking to purchase is from Vilayer (I currently rent a standard game server through them). Was thinking of getting the budget i5 2500k @ 3.3GHZ, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 100 MBit/s Uplink Port (Do I need the 1GBit/s??)

That setup will cost me roughly $100.00 US per month as opposed to the $30.00 per month I pay now. Is it better? Do you get what you pay for?

Please help!

You get more power for the $ with any dedi. The reason non dedi server costs more is because someone sets it up for you. However, i wouldn't let an i5 power my server, look for a Xeon. 100mb is fine for 1 server. $100 is way to much for a single server and seems like a major rip for that setup. And TBH, i wouldn't upgrade to a dedi for a single server unless it has a 40+ player average.

You get more power for the $ with any dedi. The reason non dedi server costs more is because someone sets it up for you. However, i wouldn't let an i5 power my server, look for a Xeon. 100mb is fine for 1 server. $100 is way to much for a single server and seems like a major rip for that setup. And TBH, i wouldn't upgrade to a dedi for a single server unless it has a 40+ player average.

Thanks for the info man. My reasoning behind moving now is that I have only been up for two oweeks and am Growing fairly well. I wanted to be on dedi and all set up no more changes before I had a large group. Currently I see between 10-15 a day and I'm quite happy with my numbers, but like I said. I think i'd rather have an IP change before i start to see major numbers. You know how players can sometimes be. If they dont see their regular lit up on DayZ Commander they go elsewhere.

That should do what you want easily. Remember Arma II only uses 1 core and about 2gb of ram . Setup properly that will handle at least a couple of fully pop 40 slot servers.

I'm not sure about the cost part tho and what advantages you gain from having a dedi but that does seem pretty high.

That should do what you want easily. Remember Arma II only uses 1 core and about 2gb of ram . Setup properly that will handle at least a couple of fully pop 40 slot servers.

I'm not sure about the cost part tho and what advantages you gain from having a dedi but that does seem pretty high.

Yeah the cost is high. the price starts at about $75.00 but I need windows(15$), and I would like the Vilayer Control Panel(10-15$)

Things keep adding up.

I should add that I am willing to switch providers should a better deal present itself, but I simply doon't know who's good and who's not.

The main reason for wanting this dedi is so that there will be less lag and desync in the server. I notice constant yellow and red chains when my server has only 15-20 population. This is a big problem

PS: If you know how to set up a dedi, you don't need a control panel. It's much faster and easier to access all files & PBO's from the root of the server.

I don't really have any clue. I'm sure i could find plenty of tutorials on the subject, but most likely i would require hands on help.

I'm very new to all of this. 2-3 weeks in. Learning fast but i'm trying not to get overwhelmed

I really appreciate everyone's input. I think for now I'll save my pennies, and enjoy watching people shoot eachother at missions. Thank you guys again for taking the time to read and respond.

You should take a look at NFOServers virtual dedicated servers. It's a step above regular game servers but not quiet the bigger jump to a full dedi box. I'm running the server in my signature on one now and it's a much better setup than a regular game server. They do their virtual machines a lot different than most providers and it may fit your needs as you grow. We are running between 10-20 players on a very heavily modified server, running DZMS, WAI, DZAI, AI cities , multiple events and a lot of other stuff. At any given time there are over 100 AI active on the map, including air and land patrols. The database has over 10k items in it and server startup is just a few minutes on restarts.

Im also going to be bringing up our old Taviana server on this machine and it's database contains over 14k objects.

You have full root access to these servers and can change your OS to just about anything you like, and the sw licenses are included in the price.

I've used Vilayer in the past and was satisfied with what I got for the price but I would not be able to run my server as configured there now. It would be unplayable.

-CJ-

I've done exactly that. I couldnt be more happy. can't wait to get all my guys on the new IP

The freedom to now set up another server just for large scale events is great too..My server only has a few of the lesser military vehicles.(BRDM2,AH6J)...but now..I smell Abrams battles. SHould be interesting.