Reconsider Redis

GeorgeForeman1

This is not a troll post I promise.

I ask why it was chosen as a backend storage system?

Most web hosts do not natively support it, there are not "production-ready" management or backup tools available for it, as its primarily a data structure server and not a database in the traditional sense.

Mysql, is supported everywhere PHP is, it has so many tools to manage and backup databases, surely it would make sense.

Redis is fast but how many records are you going be storing, a few 1000 at most, Mysql would laugh at that!

Redis has already proven itself for performance. At this stage it's all about what is the quickest and most suited to supporting the mod. MySQL is great for websites and other DB based tools, it doesn't offer the features that redis does and is no where near as suited.

Redis is just a bit less heard of right now, MySQL was unheard of once upon a time :)

Native support ? If you run a dedi is just a case of running an exe, if you're not running a dedi go for a gaming host that support Epoch Mod.

As for reconsidering, not likely to happen.

Just from chatting to Awol, one of the features is the ability to quickly query for a single bit of data and the structure isn't exactly standard tables etc. TBH I am on a steep learning curve with it.

However, you can see how this feature would be useful for quickly storing and returning a specific game vehicle status..?

Just from chatting to Awol, one of the features is the ability to quickly query for a single bit of data and the structure isn't exactly standard tables etc. TBH I am on a steep learning curve with it.

However, you can see how this feature would be useful for quickly storing and returning a specific game vehicle status..?

I will admit, i have had many years of experiance with mysql and nosql solutions. Problem is, non of the nosql have the rich feature set mysql offers. Everything that is possible in redis, is possible in mysql too. Even a loose data schema is something that can be done (which is good prototyping).

Although, I would argue, given arma's unstable nature, a data schema that can change is a potentially bad thing.

From my experience so far, better performance, migrating requires copying a single file and running requires starting an exe.

Writing external tools for it, am glad to be learning a new skill.

How many of those nosql missing features do you think we need to give a game server persistence ? How many cant be replicated with a bit of development time ?

• 3 weeks later...