New antagonist idea: Crazies.

BioHazard050

Came up with this when watching some youtube vids of mental patients doing their thing. (was on the weird part of youtube again.  :blink: ) And I thought to myself, dang, imagine running into that guy in Epoch, and he's armed no less. Boom, lightbulb goes off. Brilliant Idea. In my lore thread I mentioned that the event that ended civilization had a unseen effect on part of the population, slowly driving them absolutely bonkers.

In my mind, the Cultists represent the higher functioning crazies (you would have to be crazy to shoot fireballs and turn victims into walking bombs). But not all of them like that. Some of them have gone absolutely feral. Think mad max, times a thousand, or the Haunted in the Evil Within. They can still use (inaccuratly)firearms/melee weapons, but have lost all their humanity and higher thinking, running solely on instinct. 

Ingame, they would wander around, attacking and eating animals raw. (this could be a warning sign, finding animal carcasses that have been stripped clean by human mouths.)

When they spot a sane human being (or even other crazies) They relentlessly chase you, even if you cross the entire map, they will chase you, and kill you unless you kill them first. They are rather dumb though, and will rush you head on. So one or two at once wont really be a big deal, unless you cant find a gun/melee weapon.

But not all the crazies would attack each other. Some times, they team up. Up to 20 crazies in one group. 

Long story short. If a "herd" spots you, your in deep s***. You will get rushed by every single one. Unless you can kill them fast enough (unlikely), are part of a large team, or can escape somehow, you WILL die. And there will be no corpse when you get back. To be fair, there wont be a herd spawn on every reboot, maybe one or two a day. But If you can take down the herd, you will be well rewarded. 
Crazies tend to collect shiny things, like gold, silver, guns, and gems.

And last but not least, those crazies still have the sense to find shelter, usually in an abandoned building, but sometimes they make camps in the woods. If you were to stumble onto one of these "nuthouses", watch your step. There would be booby traps surrounding the place. And the crazies will likely be nearby. But, there would be a reward for braving the unknown. As above, crazies tend to collect valuable items, and the nuthouse would be absolutely packed with goodies. And corpses. Lots of corpses. 

Whaddya think?

Did you just watch that movie "Ghosts of Mars"?

The crazies you are talking about ironically resemble the ones who became infected in that movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0228333/?ref_=fn_al_tt_10

If they had melee weapons that might work but to have guns they would resemble typical roaming AI behavior.  I'm pretty sure we will see SargeAI or WAI for A3 sometime down the road.

The way I look at it is.. It would be ideal for scripters to make up a bit of a variety of different antagonists and server owners can just add/remove what they would like on their servers.

Whether it be machines/robots wanting to kill remaining survivors, aliens, sappers, cloaks, crazies, regular bandit/hero/military AI.. I could care less.

At least the options are there.

The one thing you mentioned that I think would be a good direction is.. "Mad Max".    

That movie had a apocalyptic feeling to it with the unique modified vehicles.   Would love to see some of the vehicles modified and or the ability to modify them to resemble the ones in Mad Max.

I already see a lot of crazies with camps on the servers.

Lol!  Yeah dude, you're pretty much describing the average Epoch player. XD  Nonetheless, something along these lines would make more sense in my mind over faceless cloaks who kill you with a stare(which I dig too!) if we're going to try to be more realistic.  But I'm being completely serious when I say that, if players were given the ability to eat other players... well, that would just about cover it, saves the devs a whole lot of work.

In terms of the "you're fucked" component when you see the crazies because you can't kill them all by yourself, this type of thing will be implemented with the rock monster. In a stream Axles said it would take about 50 people to kill the monster, so it is going to pretty interesting when it is implemented.