Please explain the creature setting in ArmA3poch :)

reen624

I come from Vanilla ArmA2 DayZ and i am used to deal with a zombie infection/plague.

I never played ArmA2 Epoch, so i don´t know what creatures are in there, but i guess zeds, too.

So can anybody explain the creature setting in ArmA3 Epoch?

Dont name the 2 things that i found so far. (xploding thing, scary thing )

Tell me more about the idea behind the scenario!

Or what different species i will have to face in future. I really want to know what direction this whole thing goes?

I have to admit: At first i thought the enemies so far are just spaceholder for future zombies... :D

Anyone knows anything?

Greetings René

They are called antagonist. There are currently 3 ingame. The sapper which is the most common one (basically a zombie looking thing with no arms that self detonates when it gets close to someone). Then there is the cultist which only spawn at night ( looks like grim reaper and if he gets close to you he will suck the life out of you. The last is basically Jaws. Spawns in the sea and well everyone has heard of jaws so needs no explanation.

5 different dangerous critters plus snake, sheep and goats.

Dog can be good or bad, some will whine and want food/water others will attack as you look like a tasty snack.  The have been known to kill people who aren't paying attention as there is no animation for attacking right now.

Quadcopter Drones will spawn buzz around above you and if you're spotted by them they will call for 3 AI soliders with 9mm automatic weapons. (As mentioned above)

Sappers are the armless critters which will wander around you and blow up when you are close

Cultists are grim reaper looking guys who can stun you with mental powers (Deadly when combined with Sappers, Dogs, or AI Soliders)

Sharks patrol the water and will eat you if you swim / dive / loot underwater stuff

Others have been hinted at on the streams and this site.  I recommend you visit some of the youtube videos out there to see what each look like and do, I believe the backstory is the cultists are restless evil beings of great power who created the sappers, the AI are controlled by a small force who have been left to cleanse the island of any remaining life, and the dogs and sharks are just hungry.

Thank you very much for the answers.

What i wanted to hear is the idea about the whole setting. What virus made the things like they are now? Why do they xplode, why are there occultists that suck energy out of the environment. How many different types will there be. Do they fit together or is it just a random bunch. Dinos, vampires, zeds, whatever?
But thanks for the info so far.

The Idea of AI killing all life on the island is good. I can live with that. Mean Spec Ops. I like them since HalfLife1.

The other creatures i have to get used to right now. I dont see a sense so far that fits in a certain setting. But maybe its gettin more sense with future enemies.:D

Cheers René

I think there is perhaps less 'story' behind Epoch than other similar mods such as Breaking Point. As an avid Breaking Point player I am super-enjoying Epoch as it has an even wider and more open playing field - loot isn't confined to just certain locations and thus, the whole map is playable.

In terms of story behind the actual mobs, I do not know. What I can tell you is the Arma 2 Epoch had all sorts of neat triggered events - maybe more than I would have liked - and maybe that was the specific server I was on. There were random fire-team NPC spawns, crashed military vehicles, and all sorts of neat things to check out and run into people to fight.

I STRONGLY PREFER the current state, with much more random and sparse 'events' happening, because I feel alive out in the world/map. Knowing players aren't camping 'high value loot' locations and knowing that players can be anywhere on the map is a lot of fun. In addition, the resource/economy mechanic means people kind of need to travel to accomplish things, so there is a lot of required moving back and forth around the map. Really cool stuff.

I plan to play Epoch a lot more than BP now if the trend of smart features remains constant.

Nobody mentioned the drone that spawns 3 AI when it spots a player?

As much as it is not a "creature" it is an element in the mod.

All three of these elements (Sappers, Cloaked, AI) will randomly spawn when looting.

The AI drone will spawn in the sky and if it spots a player a sound will be heard that is reminiscent of an old modem handshake.  Shortly after three AI will spawn and attempt to kill the player in the immediate area.

lol I recently had a tremendous lone wolf freshy to-> geared character session, just making my way down hill from a hilltop church that had the exact loot I needed, was just getting dark, I was thinking about logging out to sort and enjoy my goods later.

Saw a trash pile under one of those fenced towers. Stood over to receive my trash loot.

Got darn sapper was looking RIGHT at me. I started getting this tingly sensation, but these things have never killed me. Whatever. Hit F. Lets put a few in her.

WTF, I was popping that thing and her head only move back a little a few times. She got me with her redsmoke. I couldn't back up, got dam fence. I was cornered!

So I stood there trading ammo with redsmoke... then that respawn counter same up.

Never will I allow that to happen again. LOL

I think there is perhaps less 'story' behind Epoch than other similar mods such as Breaking Point. As an avid Breaking Point player I am super-enjoying Epoch as it has an even wider and more open playing field - loot isn't confined to just certain locations and thus, the whole map is playable.

In terms of story behind the actual mobs, I do not know. What I can tell you is the Arma 2 Epoch had all sorts of neat triggered events - maybe more than I would have liked - and maybe that was the specific server I was on. There were random fire-team NPC spawns, crashed military vehicles, and all sorts of neat things to check out and run into people to fight.

I STRONGLY PREFER the current state, with much more random and sparse 'events' happening, because I feel alive out in the world/map. Knowing players aren't camping 'high value loot' locations and knowing that players can be anywhere on the map is a lot of fun. In addition, the resource/economy mechanic means people kind of need to travel to accomplish things, so there is a lot of required moving back and forth around the map. Really cool stuff.

I plan to play Epoch a lot more than BP now if the trend of smart features remains constant.

Its very open to player crafted lore.

I wrote some up some time ago.