A call for sanity

dayzjarhead

Hey guys...

I´m not very good at scripting myself but I´ve been running DayZ and Arma-servers for quite a while now. Some of them very popular, some of them more like meh. So I know my way around, but pro scripter might see me as n00bish-stfu.

What I noticed, the qualtiy of scripts has improved a lot in the last years, but there are still some nuisances, that drive me crazy, when I evaluate and test scripts to get them on the live servers.  

Here are some simple points, that could make live a lot easier for server admins, make getting into the whole topic easier and might even eleminate 25% of support calls in the epoch forums.

And... don´t take this as a rant, please.  :D

1. Class Names in HPP/H-Files 

If you define stuff in hpp-files... please, PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF SANITY provide your classes with unique classnames.  :)

e.g. RscListBox --> RscListBoxXY (while XY might be you name for the script)

This would solve A LOT of errors. As I skimmed through most of the script-threads I noticed in almost every thread there were calls for help "uuhm my server crashes... says some error in description.ext. HALP!"

If you include more than one mod on your server (which most of us do), you most likely run into this problem. Not a problem for the exprienced server admin, but I huge barrier for newbies.

So... unique classe names. Problem solved.

2. Path to your Script as Variable is viable

Please dump the paths to your scripts-files in variable (maybe in a config-file), so it can be conveniently changed in one place, without having to skim through all files of a script.  :D

3. Keep it tidy, kid

Please don´t make people throw all your files in the main mission directory... I personally put all the scripts in a "scripts/" directory, other do "custom/" or even "addons/". Having a variable for the script path, should give you the freedom to organize your script structure as you like it. Just keep in in one directory.  :D

4. Don´t spam the RPT, please?

What I noticed in some of the more popular scripts... the RPT log gets spammed with useless information. Please rethink, what might be usefull, what not. Provide a debug switch, so the admin can decide.

5. Battleye, the big WTF

Everyone hates it, no one can do without it. If you script needs Battleye Filters, please, PLEASE don´t put the filter settings in a file , combined with all other filters. Just list, what kind of filter, in which file. Everything else is most likely to mess things up.

6. -showScriptErrors and the Brain explodes

If you haven´t done it, yet... please take a look at the script errors in runtime. Some of the scripts throw a lot (I mean, really... A LOT) of script errors. Most of them are undefined variables, some of them even typos. So please... -showScriptErrors

7. Define your Variables

Title says it all. Most script errors are undefined variables.

8. Crunch your assets

Great, your script is colorful, has PAA gfx, even Ogg-Sounds. But please... no highres. And nobody needs door creaks and zombie moans in CD quality. Don´t waste your players time with downloading huge assets.

9. Guidance

Releasing a script comes with some responsability. Don´t throw stuff at the interwebs and then pull back and feast upon their screams of agony. Write a comprehensive guide (yeah, I know, it sucks... but it helps in the long term). There are a lot of scripters who do a really great job here.

Comment your code. A lot. I mean, A LOT! Really.

And if you provide files from the "dayz_code" (pulling some compiles mission side), don´t delete the comments there. Leave them in, please!

10. Release it as a package!

I´ve noticed some of the scripts are just thown in to the forums (in spoiler alerts, some of them). Don´t do that. Compile a package, a zip-file maybe, rar does it well, hey, even 7z. Provide a directory structure. But don´t scatter it in the posts of your release. 

The more geeky lads around might even get a git-hub account, which is perfect. Version control, debugging, code merging.. so much stuff to profit from.  :D Great for the scripter, great for the leech.

Sooo... keep on scripting AND THANKS FOR THE AMAZING WORK FOR THE COMMUNITY!!!!

Got more? Keep´em coming!!

What some persons her forget, you need to think about that the script which get released here in the most time got written for the own server not for others, its just a nice touch that the owners share it with other ppls, and if i write something, i have no passion to change the half of the script just that other people can use it..... In my opinnion, if you got a server, you should at least now the basics  which include to find diag_log lines and redefine variables/classes and pathes..... all you posted above, is a work from 2-15 minutes to change it by your own. Thats how i see it, just a constructive reply, nothing offensive :)

No offence taken!

You are completely right! None of those points are a real show stopper for an experienced server owner. Still they are a nuisance and can be easily avoided. I say, if you plan to release a script, maybe take these points into consideration and we might all go to happy land.  :lol: