Is combat logging a bannable offence ?

ImSoEnigma

In my opinion, combat logging is bad and bannable if there are no mechanics in play to prevent it, every MMORPG has a combat timer logout for a reason and I think Epoch/DayZ are on the same line as an MMORPG.. but there are things you have to consider:

People genuinely have to log off for many different reasons and yes, it does happen at the end of fights as coincidentally as it seems. Often people stick fire fights out longer than times when they plan to log off. We've all been there in DayZ where you say "I'm off in X minutes" and seconds before the abort timer finishes you get lit up like a Christmas tree, cue 2hours of playing hide and seek in the hills of Chernarus only to get mike tysoned by a zombie under the ground.

There has to be a point where the GAME says: You're free to go. There also has to be a mechanic to stop someone logging out on you, especially if they have returned fire to prevent cheap tactics. Both of these can then be attributed to a fair logout.

• Player proximity
  • Incombat timer

Before you hang me for the suggestions as too harsh, read the entire bit below!

These are the two key things. The player proximity stopping you from logging out if it is annotated unfortunately can be exploited to see if a player is near you, my suggestion is that you let the timer run down and if you logout too close to a player it punishes you. Its your job to secure your area and logout safely. I think the risk of this alone will stop many cases where people run off the minimum distance and logout because they are safe. Though unless it is well documented it will cause heartache at first. If you're near someone in your group, you are not punished of course. I would like to see at least a 50m radius, perhaps 100m as in the grand scheme of things, 100m is nothing.

Incombat timer or activity timer this is a big one. If you shoot or shot at or if it was up to me, if you even move you get put into an activity timer state.. where if you logoff you are then punished. I would like to see a 60 second timer, perhaps 90 seconds to prevent shoot and scoot and logout tactics.

However.. you are only punished if someone or something kills your corpse as the punishment is that your character is left in the world for.. 300 seconds? (5 minutes) if you logout under any of the conditions above, a clone of you is left in the world. If your character is killed, your gear is lootable and you will spawn as a fresh spawn. I know this was attempted in DayZ and it was awfully buggy but I have faith in the devs and Arma 3 is leaps ahead of Arma 2.

I think the punishment for combat logging should ultimately be finalized by the player or creature hunting you and through the combat loggers impatience to logout. This way if people want to risk the corner they logged out in hastily.. it is down to them and on re-log they should be given a confirmation box to say exactly why they were killed, not by who.. either "You died because while you were sleeping someone or something killed you." so there is no confusion.

I've always advocated that if a player can wait the combat timer out or move out of the proximity of another player in DayZ Epoch and other mods then they have followed the guidelines set out. The above would easily solve plug pullers, people who lagout, people who shoot and scoot and most importantly, it puts justice in the hands of the players and frees up admins. It also doesn't instantly punish players for genuine mistakes, power outages, pc crashes ect and gives friends a chance to keep their friend safe without an automatic unconscious timer or instant bleeding for example.

There is nothing better than letting players settle the score and if you can eliminate all the cheap hardware related ways of combat logging even better.

Before people jump on me for the "I want to logout when I want to logout" - You can, just plan 50-100m or 60/90seconds in advance and make sure your stalker is dealt with and if you logout successfully then you have abided by the combat logout rules, I wouldnt think its a lot to ask when people can spend hours and hours on the game.