sad day for hardcore players

Vash

Good fights tonight Vash.  You won... this time ;)

Haha, indeed my friends, good fights. I sat there looking at your truck because i figured you'd come back to it once you couldn't find me so i was waiting for the shot. Then i wasn't sure if you guys drove off and that truck spawned there, so i just took it.

Only issue is that 85% of our player base didn't want Hardcore, so it's very low-pop.

If this continues we may end up having two easymode servers instead.

Well I just submitted a whitelist form. I prefer hardcore mode. Especially if 3rd person view is restricted. Arma is just better in 1st person. 

Well, that was fast. Thanks for the Whitelist.

Third person truly is a cancer if only some server owners or even the devs implemented something like this in.

http://youtu.be/58cW0M2ek1A?t=3m31s

Eh, I saw this when the guy released it.  It's a neat idea but brings numerous other problems along with it.

There is no "one size fits all" fix, as third and first person are two entirely different perspectives.

Eh, I saw this when the guy released it.  It's a neat idea but brings numerous other problems along with it.

There is no "one size fits all" fix, as third and first person are two entirely different perspectives.

what a goddamn nice idea  :o

Yea it's by no means a perfect solution but in this instance I ask myself what is a bigger problem?

1. Keeping the status quo that absolutely has been deemed unfair by the Arma community for ages and clearly gives one person an advantage that the other person cannot do anything about.

or

2. A mod or script such as the one in the video that eliminates the crutch at the small expense of some immersion and player popping. Both of which are easily solved by engaging in pvp in first person mode and no longer using third person for intel as it would be useless.

The "need" for third person view is especially sad now due to how amazing the stance system is allowing the players to no longer expose themselves too much in order to see over objects and windows.

Hostile Takeover #4 was hardcore, but the admin was asking all 3 of us if we wanted it to be changed back(and none of us had radios >_>), so I'm not sure what's going on with that.  That's in California though, I believe.

Only issue is that 85% of our player base didn't want Hardcore, so it's very low-pop.

If this continues we may end up having two easymode servers instead.

Hmm, I do not think so, in Sa-Matra Wasteland and King of the Hill, there are a lot of Server on HC and they are all day long full. Until A3 is able to run under linux with Epoch, I will host a server, one for sure on HC.

Hmm, I do not think so, in Sa-Matra Wasteland and King of the Hill, there are a lot of Server on HC and they are all day long full. Until A3 is able to run under linux with Epoch, I will host a server, one for sure on HC.

Wasteland and King of the Hill are very different from Epoch, they focus almost primarily on combat.  For a lot of people, Epoch isn't all about combat.  For one thing, it's more difficult to loot in first person, in third you can pan around the cam and find which buildings have loot without even going inside.  Another thing is that building bases would be a lot harder to do in first person.  I like the idea of playing in first person, I've tried it a few times... let's just say if it was forced I would get used to it, but it's a pain if you know you could do things much easier and quicker in 3rd.  I guarantee most people that play Epoch feel the same way, which is why most of the hardcore servers are pretty low pop.  Kudos to those who prefer it and stick with it though.  I definitely do prefer first person for combat.

Building was about the only reason I ran a server that allowed 3rd person when I had a server. Even I had to admit trying to line up a wall all by yourself in 1st person was far too difficult. The new build system in A3 Epoch seems a bit more friendly to 1st person so 3rd could go and now one would care. 

Are we still pretending that the majority want 1st person? Excluding the occasional spike, every hardcore server that's been opened has been sitting at low population or shut down. Meanwhile, normal servers have far more consistent populations. I'm not saying that there isn't interest in it, but let's be real here, most people want to play in 3rd person.

Well we have 26 on our hardcore server, which is more than our normal server and its still picking up!

I dont know how much room for how many hardcore servers there are but until the server is sat at 0/50 for over a week we'll keep ours up and at this rate, its looking pretty good!

I'm a huge fan of first person only in Arma, so I'll always try and run a first person server alongside a normal server. I even made a script for it to maybe make a hybrid in situations that count (server mods forum)

Its funny as there was around 5k whitelisted folk before official server hosting was allowed by us.. and I refuse to believe that less than 1% only want hardcore all the time, let alone every now and then! Especially now its open to all.

Its always been an aim of mine to be known for the hardcore servers, we left it too late to try it in DayZ so this is a great opportunity to be what we should be, of course we know whats popular so we'll have a normal server to.

If you run a hardcore server and it's legit and easy to get into, I will LIVE there.

I wasn't a hardcore guy until, I had the experience of navigating by moon and stars and the elation of finding a compass or gps... and all of the other little limitations it brings. A much more epoch-a-lyptic and immersive feel. If I'm playing Epoch, this is how I want to play! And maybe some of ya hardcore guys don't mind schooling a lil noob while your at it!

I'll check into this thread in a few days to see what happens :)