Public Service Announcement: Hacking.

ToejaM

Please stop referring to these degenerate oxygen thieves as hackers, not even the ballbags that create the scripts are hackers. By referring to them as 'hackers' you are giving them credit where credit is not due.

They are skiddies, you know, the thing you do in your underwear after a few too many beers and a curry. Script kiddies, nothing more.

You must also be patient with the mod as it is still in testing and not designed for permanent play, you won't get peace of mind game of Epoch until it is in the hands of those who have enough time to moderate and admin the servers, performing rollbacks when servers are nuked and providing support when glitches and bugs cause issues.

Unfortunately even though you are all begging for these skiddies to be fixed, there is ALWAYS a way around any fixes that are made, the best line of defence is a good admin team and unless the Epoch team start 'hiring' volunteer admins to moderate/admin servers you cannot get attached to your gear and base.

So please, stop with all the threads! There should be more threads thanking the devs than there are about 'hackers' but at the moment its the wrong way round.

Semantics mean that basically it doesn't matter what you call them. Doesn't change the outcome where people can't really enjoy not having whitelist. One of the most legendary hackers said that best way to hack is to know the password. If the wrong guy who knows the password is called hacker, then a kiddie with devastating script is a hacker. End of story

Hackers hack on keyboards.  Hack hack hack.

> All these people jumping in and screaming HACKERS ON OFFICIAL SERVERS when they're not official servers.

> All these people jumping in and screaming HACKERS ON OFFICIAL SERVERS when they're not official servers.

Just because I turned the gas on and created a spark igniting the Bunsen burner, doesn't make me a scientist and no-one would label me as such.

People deserve certain labels, the skiddies don't deserve the label of a hacker. Hacking is skillful, being a skiddie is not. Fact.

People deserve certain labels, the skiddies don't deserve the label of a hacker. Hacking is skillful, being a skiddie is not. Fact.

I see hacking as much broader definition. Not the stuff you see in movies. If only skillful are hackers then not all hacking is done by hackers. Which I think is wrong.

Not sure why you're arguing and defending their position or trying to give it meaning but they are not by ANY definition a "hacker" - they are at best, scripters, script creators, script kiddies.. skiddies. Not the mention that the majority of those using scripts on the servers are doing nothing but using things that others have made, hence script kiddies is far more apt.

and its not unauthorized access when the structure of the game allows it to happen and its down to third party software to prevent it ;)

There is no skill in killing people or beating a game with cheats and scripts when everyone else is playing legit, especially when the majority dont have the intellect to create what they are using to begin with and while those who create the scripts might be more talented, what they are doing is not 'hacking' and I dont think in anyway this should be glorified. There is a VERY small amount of people who create the bypassers which is possibly the only thing that may even resemble any form of hacking as the actual scripts used arent 'hacks' they are part of what Arma is and always has been, a game based on trust for the community to mod and enjoy but when you open that up to the public.. thats when it gets messy and thats why we can't have nice things.

Simply downloading and running the program then telling it to execute scripts makes you as much of a hacker as buying a car then driving it makes you an engineer ;)