Server Load

Powell

Question

Anyone know how to improve the server load FPS? When I start the server and Im the only one in it. The Server Load FPS is sitting at 45-50.

When I get players online it goes downs so so much. 19 players online and the server Load is sitting at 5 FPS anyway to increase this?

17 answers to this question

Basic.cfg Lags like a boss.

MinBandwidth=1097152;
MaxBandwidth=536870912;
MaxMsgSend=256;
MaxSizeGuaranteed=128;
MaxSizeNonguaranteed=192;
MinErrorToSendNear=0.050000001;
MinErrorToSend=0.0040000002;
MaxCustomFileSize=0;
Windowed=0;
adapter=-1;
3D_Performance=1;
Resolution_W=800;
Resolution_H=600;
Resolution_Bpp=32;

Mods:

Coin Currency
Repair at a cost

Service Stations
Weed Farms
Plot4Life
Help Menus
Deploy Bike
Zombie Free Bases
Snap Build Pro

Had Vector Building but took it out
Safe Zone
AntiKamikaze
Smoke Weed
Suicide
Custom Markers
Welcome Credits
Custom Loadouts
Custom Spawns

WIA 2.1.2

DZMS
UN Supply Drops

Take Clothes

Thats pretty much most of them.

When I am on the box in the resounce montior my activity is always like 8 digit number or higher. How to I set up the basic cfg the right way? If you would like to talk my ts is 162.248.88.230

I would look at removing the AntiKamikaze and Weed Farms. 

Anything else that causes lots of network traffic would also be a good idea to disable as a test. 

How can I tell if they cause a lot of network traffic? Also how to do setup my sever with the best basic.cfg? Is there a special formula I can use?

Change MaxSizeGuaranteed=512;

I have tried that setting and still doesnt seem to work. I was using the one you posted that you had your server when it started to goes nuts when I hit like 30 players I am thinking it has to do with one of these things maybe

1. I need a SSD for everything

2. Basic.cfg isnt setup the right way

3. MySQL setting are junk

4. Scripts

5. I am lossing my mind..... tryign to figure this out before I loss my player base again.

Add this to your game launch parameters

-showScriptErrors

It will show you any errors you encounter when playing. I Doubt it's the basic.cfg as I use that with 55 players on with minimal to zero desync with 7k database items.

It's more than likely an added script issue.

Add this to your game launch parameters

-showScriptErrors

It will show you any errors you encounter when playing. I Doubt it's the basic.cfg as I use that with 55 players on with minimal to zero desync with 7k database items.

It's more than likely an added script issue.

This should be in my startup bat?

Also should my start bat look like this:

@start arma2oaserver1.exe -mod=%mod% -name=instance_11_Chernarus -config=instance_11_Chernarus\config.cfg -cfg=instance_11_Chernarus\basic.cfg -profiles=instance_11_Chernarus -port=%port% -cpuCount=2 -maxMem=2047 -exThreads=7

Client startup, not server startup

Okay I have now took a bunch of the mods on my server out. It seems to be running a bit better.

Current Mods:

R3F Towing

Gold Coins

Service Points

SafeZones

Snapbuild Pro

P4L

DZGM

DZMS

WIA 2.1.2

I popped that -showScriptErrors in any got some errors.

Alot from Infistar when using admin tools.

Zombie_generate.sqf (I am using fix from github) http://pastebin.com/LuyrCJ5k

Only ones I have had since I deleted alot of the mods. Will update if I find more.

Question.  I been told that not running both my server on a SSD will cause server lag when alot of players are online. How true is that?

Also that my DB MySQL not being clean up right might be causign it. Here are my http://pastebin.com/6VbjXinK

AIs are a huge drain on resources.  You have two AI packages running, both of which take up a lot of CPU power.  Personally I'd recommend dropping DZMS.  WAI now has the ability to run two missions at once, which should be more than enough in most cases.  Something that I've discovered recently too is that Arma games run best with a really super fast CPU.  The number of cores really only matters if you intend to run multiple servers on the same box.  I recently upgraded from a 2.2GHz Dual Quad Core (16 total cores including Hyperthreading) server to a 3.4GHz Quad Core (8 total cores including Hyperthreading) server and the difference was absolutely night and day.  With 20 players online my server FPS hovers around 35 with 4000 db objects and climbing.

Also, change your startup line section, -exThreads=1   Server side there are no textures or geometry processed, so you don't need the '7' variable.  '1' is sufficient since the server is only processing file operations.  Having your server set to exThreads=7 only creates unnecessary overhead resource consumption.   Source:  https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma2:_Startup_Parameters#exThreads

You could also disable the P4L script, since Epoch has the ability to turn off the requirement of plot poles for building via an init.sqf variable.

Do a speed test and see what your top connection speed is.  Your basic.cfg is set to a max bandiwdth rating of 500Mb.  If you have a gigabit connection then you should change that MaxBandwidth=536870912;  to something like MaxBandwidth=1036870912;  If you have a 100Mb connection then make it MaxBandwidth=106870912;  Max bandwidth is supposed to be bandwidth that your server is guaranteed to NEVER have, so you want to set it to the upper limit of whatever your connection speed is.  

Okay I am changing start to -exThreads=1 instead of 7. I am also changing my basic.cfg to MaxBandwidth=1036870912; I only had 500mb because I was thought I needed to split the connect between both of my servers. Also the P4L lags the server that much or is it just all the writes to the DB?

Maybe someone can tell you different for sure, but logic would dictate that both servers will probably not have the same amount of load at the same time and will consequently be using different amounts of bandwidth.  So for one thing, setting them both to a limit of 500Mb is limiting both of them way lower than what they need to be.  Secondly, it doesn't matter what you set the max bandwidth to, even both servers together will never use 1Gb of bandwidth even if they are fully loaded.

As for P4L, it's not that it lags the server that much all by itself.  It's just one more script taking up memory and CPU power to check something that doesn't need to be checked if only you just disable plot poles altogether.  P4L doesn't make that much difference on its own, it's just a "straw that breaks the camel's back" kind of thing.  Why add to the resource usage if you don't have to?  That's just how it makes sense to me anyways.  Plus the more scripts you take out of the mission file the less time it takes for your players to load into the game.  It will be even more helpful for new players who have to download the mission file for the first time.  Little things like that help keep your players happy.  Plus, the more things you have running on your server, the more chance you have for scripts to conflict with each other and break something.  Keep it simple and it will make your life as a server admin way easier.

Maybe someone can tell you different for sure, but logic would dictate that both servers will probably not have the same amount of load at the same time and will consequently be using different amounts of bandwidth.  So for one thing, setting them both to a limit of 500Mb is limiting both of them way lower than what they need to be.  Secondly, it doesn't matter what you set the max bandwidth to, even both servers together will never use 1Gb of bandwidth even if they are fully loaded.

As for P4L, it's not that it lags the server that much all by itself.  It's just one more script taking up memory and CPU power to check something that doesn't need to be checked if only you just disable plot poles altogether.  P4L doesn't make that much difference on its own, it's just a "straw that breaks the camel's back" kind of thing.  Why add to the resource usage if you don't have to?  That's just how it makes sense to me anyways.  

Okay thats helps out alot. I personally like having the P4L. It makes it nice to maintain the server and keeps players from just building shit all over the place. Also I Just went to one mission systems but I didnt see any sort of increase in Server Load FPS