Suggestions & Questions

G4meM0ment

Hello survivors,

since I got no key for the A3 Epoch mod, I just want to post some suggestions over here and hopefully some devs and alpha testers can give me feedback.

Anyway, first I have a question, since BI is a quite modding friendly studio, whats the plan about having a DayZ SA mod some day?

Let's come to my suggestions, I've played DayZ Epoch for quite a while and some problems appeared to me quite fast.

Since DayZ was quite a complex game and with newer updates brought even more complex elements like blood tests and can openers, the trading seemed really easy and dump to me.

Because I'm doing some mods aswell I thought about creating some modifications for Epoch or later for the stand alone, but since your quite active it would be a better idea to contribute to this project, I suppose.

To come to one of my ideas, the traders are much less complex as the rest of the game, so I thought about a trading system which allows players which are good with bargain having an advantage against other players. (to be honest I never setup a server for epoch, just unwrapped some scripts, because of that I dont know how configurable the mod actually is)

I thought about a system with offering a price to the trader or asking for a price, and then approaching each other. The trader will communicate with u about the price and a value (I called it "friendship") will adjust depending on how good prices u make for him. With this feature u can have traders hating u and dont even talking to you anymore (for a while/since he died) or giving u a whole lot of money for ur items.

Also some kind of stock system that refills the traders stock quite slowly over time and keeps very rare items rare in the traders stock, if anyone buys items the traders stock will get empty and refill if anyone sells to him. Including the friendship feature could have something like a "suggested stock", so if he dont likes u the trader will try to hide his stock from u because he wants to have and advantage against you, so there will be s ranged stock like "10-20" and if he likes u the stock will become more accurate to view.

As I said I dont know how configurable Epoch actually is, in case you cant confgiure that much I'd be good to be able to have not every weapon in the traders shop to buy and sell.

I've drawn a really professional draft for you to display the traders GUI (I own no GUI planning software :P):

The green fields just showing the possiblity of selection.

The yellow ones are input fields.

Dark gray just generic buttons or scrollbars etc.

And light gray are text fields.

I actually have a lot more ideas about trader citys (to improve realism here aswell) and changes needed in the building and crafting system, but first I want to hear ur opinion on my suggestions.

Thanks for reading and commenting :)

~Julian

post-17870-0-47159000-1404829121_thumb.j

Agreed with the simple currency idea.  Although it would be pretty neat to see some sort of barter system implemented.  Ex: all objects have a value and I can trade you x logs for x vehicle parts etc.   Certain vendors would have likes and dislikes so wally the lumberjack might have a high supply of wood and lumber but what he really wants are tools to make his job easier so he places a higher value on hatchets, chainsaws, etc.  Since he is a lumberjack and this is his job, he would value the trade in value of wood and lumber lower and may even refuse to buy them if his stock is too high.

I want to go into a tradercity.. buy the shit i need and i can afford.. hope its in stock... then leave and play the game.

So for you this trading aspect has nothing to do with the rest of the game? Because right now for me it appears to be like this: Step 1: Find an easy farmground (eg. NW Airfield) Step 2: get a whole lot of gold out of this (wihtout having to much to think, more running there over and over again and spending time wihtout actually having diversity) Step 3: Have any item you want without searching

For me this results in no more pleasure when finding something rare and I really liked this, don't u?

And what do u mean by "simple currency"? I didn't mentioned any further going currencys (yet :P)

Actually if ur not a guy who likes to trade you could use the "ask for price" feature and simply sell everything pretty quick. This gives u an advantage just as if ur really thorough with searching through buildings (you'll find more stuff obviously).

@hambeast Yeah that's actually one of the key ideas but I think not every trader should buy everything and with unlimited amount, so you'll need to do better planning and u can also have luck ith finding something awesom in a traders stock.

Thanks for the suggestions, The way trading is done currently in A3 epoch is already similar to some of what you have suggested.

About modding DayZ SA, I would like to mod it when its ready.

Where should I post my other suggestions? Sounds good :)

I'd already like to register as an developer for the DayZ SA project :P

1)So for you this trading aspect has nothing to do with the rest of the game? Because right now for me it appears to be like this: Step 1: Find an easy farmground (eg. NW Airfield) Step 2: get a whole lot of gold out of this (wihtout having to much to think, more running there over and over again and spending time wihtout actually having diversity) Step 3: Have any item you want without searching

For me this results in no more pleasure when finding something rare and I really liked this, don't u?

2)And what do u mean by "simple currency"? I didn't mentioned any further going currencys (yet :P)

3)Actually if ur not a guy who likes to trade you could use the "ask for price" feature and simply sell everything pretty quick. This gives u an advantage just as if ur really thorough with searching through buildings (you'll find more stuff obviously).

1) well yes it is an aspect of the game but this friendship thing is a little too deep in my opinion.. but i guess i dont have to use it to this extend like you said in 3)

to step 1,2,3: yes this is kinda fun to me.. on the servers i play on, i dont make money with looting weapons and selling them.. theres missions and vehicles to repair/sell and most importantly PVP around those.

And then there is stock: sometimes you might not get what you want since this rare weapon is out of stock. (i dont know if this was already implemented in vanilla epoch for arma 2 or if this was custom too)

also "easy farmground + (eg. NW Airfield)" does not compute on a server that has more than 20 players. the PVP around those hotspots offer very much diversity.

to the currency: many good visited arma 2 epoch servers install mods that offer single currency. its like in arma wasteland.. you get goldcoins to trade with. no more full inventory of one 10 oz bar 3 normal goldbars 2 silver oz bars and 2 copperbars, tinbars, shitbars like in vanilla epoch that stuffs your inventory so you cant even buy a jerrycan because your inventory is full of different metals.

Roleplaywise goldcoins make no sense in a fucked up world.. but in a game this is very practical and much more fun than to hassle with arma 2/3 inventory/backpack space.

to the currency: many good visited arma 2 epoch servers install mods that offer single currency. its like in arma wasteland.. you get goldcoins to trade with. no more full inventory of one 10 oz bar 3 normal goldbars 2 silver oz bars and 2 copperbars, tinbars, shitbars like in vanilla epoch that stuffs your inventory so you cant even buy a jerrycan because your inventory is full of different metals.

Roleplaywise goldcoins make no sense in a fucked up world.. but in a game this is very practical and much more fun than to hassle with arma 2/3 inventory/backpack space.

Actually I think it's quite possible. First people would start barting. Anyway Epoch plays 2 years later, the suvivors grown up in a civilization and are smart enough to build trader citys so they would use a rare material to trade. Just as they use ammunition in Metro. So I think they would use gold for example, and melt it together to nuggets or what ever (but not those heavy bars).