share & share alike licensing question

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about the share & share alike license: https://github.com/vbawol/DayZ-Epoch/wiki/How-to-correctly-get-permissions-use-edit-distribute-Dayz-and-Dayz-Epoch-content-and-code

Does this mean, for example, that anyone is free to use code from any DayZ mod that's released under the share & share alike, so long as credit is given?

Thought so :) So, someone could release a new dayz mod that contained code from epoch mod, so long as credit was given? Not that I think I'd be able to do that hahaha I'm not good enough at sqf :D Just thinking of having a play at a modified server on my office PC really for me & a few friends, but wondered about the license anyway :D

You can modify the code and make it your own just so long as you give credit and don't try and earn money from it.

All the many many flavours of Dayz use the base code of the original Dayz mod, they just tweak stuff to add their own touch.

This only applies to ArmA 2 mods, anything ArmA 3 can't use the code, Epoch is being wrote from scratch, that's why it will be awesome :D

Not sure if that is true. The whole thing about sharing is correct, but I am not sure if you just can use it. You have to ask for permission. Copyright and distribution rights still belong to the owner.

Its one thing if its available(shared) for learning and knowledge speading purpose, but its another if you wanna use it.

Not according to BI license terms it seems - it says something along the lines of your free to edit/change and then distribute those changes, as long as you release those changes under the same agreement for others - meaning telling someone they need to ask permission, kinda breaks the agreement?

Not sure if that is true. The whole thing about sharing is correct, but I am not sure if you just can use it. You have to ask for permission. Copyright and distribution rights still belong to the owner.

Its one thing if its available(shared) for learning and knowledge speading purpose, but its another if you wanna use it.

You can certainly make another mod based on DayZ Mod and even our work provided you give not just credit but also abide by the DML license:

http://www.bistudio.com/community/licenses/dayz-mod-license-share-alike

Just to clarify, if you make mod of DayZ: Epoch you need to choose your own name for it and you cannot use our Epoch Mod Logos without permission.

I have to say this stuff is really confusing. International copyright is on thing, but this license is another... Who does understand that stuff....

So as soon as someone puts a custom script on his server he has to share it? And not only that, other people are also allowed to use it as soon as he provides his code? So he basically gave up all his rights and the only thing he can hope for is a credit, right?

Sharing it is fine since everyone can benefit by looking at it and learn from it, but giving up the rights of use...

Thats just madness.

I have to say this stuff is really confusing. International copyright is on thing, but this license is another... Who does understand that stuff....

So as soon as someone puts a custom script on his server he has to share it? And not only that, other people are also allowed to use it as soon as he provides his code? So he basically gave up all his rights and the only thing he can hope for is a credit, right?

Sharing it is fine since everyone can benefit by looking at it and learn from it, but giving up the rights of use...

Thats just madness.

If you base your script on anything from DayZ mod or DayZ Epoch mod then you will need to abide by the DML license. If this is something 100% custom made by you then you are free to license it as you wish provided it does not conflict with BI's modding license.

If you base your script on anything from DayZ mod or DayZ Epoch mod then you will need to abide by the DML license. If this is something 100% custom made by you then you are free to license it as you wish provided it does not conflict with BI's modding license.

Ok thx, that makes sense.

I was wondering if you actually have to share all of your work? SInce a lot is based on DayZ, but just the basebuilding code as an example is done by you guys. Completly from scratch. Can you seperate parts of codes and put different licences on it or would the original work of you become part of the DayZ DML in the moment you put it in the addon structure or release it together? Same for map addons. You would put that stuff in one of your .pbos. Would it automatically become part of the DML licence? Where does BI draw the line?

This question is more about a theoretical case. I know that you guys share you work cause you want to. I just want to get a clear understanding of it.