Preventing sky bases

MGT

Question

Hey, not sure if my syntax is correct but im trying to prevent the building of sky bases, by adding this line into player_build.sqf (with correct syntax) work?

if (getPosATL _x select 2 > 45.0) exitWith {DZE_ActionInProgress = false; cutText [(localize "str_epoch_player_41"), "PLAIN DOWN"];};

...and there was me thinking people were using a heli to lift a car with a player standing on top of the car who would then build the parts.

Can you tell I have spend many hours playing Just Cause 2 before moving on to Epoch :) .  Maybe worth a try though :o .

The standing on preview is a lot more plausable.  Can you not just make the preview objects non-supportive (i.e. collision off for example) ?.

...and there was me thinking people were using a heli to lift a car with a player standing on top of the car who would then build the parts.

Can you tell I have spend many hours playing Just Cause 2 before moving on to Epoch :) .  Maybe worth a try though :o .

The standing on preview is a lot more plausable.  Can you not just make the preview objects non-supportive (i.e. collision off for example) ?.

There is no easy way to stop collision in Arma, unless the model is made to not collide to begin with.

I've had a few players use the building preview model, jumping up on it and the other player pressing alt pg up. This could be one of the ways they do it.

this happens when using snap building as it disables ghost preview models (preview doesn't have collision so you can't stand on em). However even with default player build there are many objects that doesn't have it.

@MGT: glad you got it sorted out. Nice work.

@Rimblock: p3d models comes with multple LODs that also defines collisions, they can't be removed, even epoch preview models uses seperate p3d model with alpha on texture (_ca.paa suffix), that's all there is to it:

geometry - the actual collision, gives mass to an object

fire geometry - can have surface materials, geometry used instead if not present

view geometry - for AI

path geometry - for AI

road gemetry - allows to walk on objects, normal geo would make you bounce or slide off of objects without this

and many more lods

@Rimblock: p3d models comes with multple LODs that also defines collisions, they can't be removed, even epoch preview models uses seperate p3d model with alpha on texture (_ca.paa suffix), that's all there is to it:

There is no easy way to stop collision in Arma, unless the model is made to not collide to begin with.

Thanks for the info guys.

Seems ARMA 3 has a diablecollisionwith command which would probably work for the A3 Epoch when it comes out (vehicle to vehicle so player to buildable should be ok).

Thanks for the info guys.

Seems ARMA 3 has a diablecollisionwith command which would probably work for the A3 Epoch when it comes out (vehicle to vehicle so player to buildable should be ok).

The fix would still be needed. I had a base around 200 m in the air from just dropping a plot pole, building stairs up to the highest point, then pulling the plot pole re-dropping it at the highest point and starting again with the stairs. You can make stupidly high bases pretty quick doing that. Then just let the maintenance system get rid of all the stairs for you. The fix does keep people from doing logical things like building sniper perches on top of radio towers, though. I admit I only did because I could but it does look pretty bad having those wooden structures that high in the air.

If you are running a epoch origins server, the flying fortress is a super easy way to build skybases with. one person hovering while the other is building a base from the deck.  More than likely this is how your skybases went up so fast

There was a bug on Epoch 1.0.4.2 where you could infinitely alt+pageup base items past 5m

Back from the dead and I'm still testing but people can get in the back ramp of a USEC and just start building in air.  I am checking a few things now to see if it works the "normal" way of building or if I've broken something.

Tested yes works fine with normal building....  but people have figured out how to get around it using the ramp of the USEC.

What you do is, you place down a stair, park a suv, vodnik or something like that. Now, jump off the stair up on top off the roof of the vehicle, Now your friend starts to lift the vehicle, slow and nice (autohover), Go up to the high you want, place down a plotpole if you need one and place a woodenfloor. Land, next you fly up in a mozzie and land on the floor and start to build your skybase. 

Having a quick browse on this (again - with more knowledge on the build mechanics) I see two issues

1. The plot pole can be built more than "DZE_PlotPole select 0;" metres above ground level (30 by default giving a max height of 45mtrs) or items can be build above 45mtrs if no plot pole is required.

2. Items positions are checked relative to the player and not the plot pole (if the buildable is not a plot pole) or the players original position if plot pole requirement is turned off. 

Seems the original code is trying to shoehorn two different possibilities in to a single block of code and the result does not really fit either situation as well as it could.

Buildables should be able to be built anywhere within the plot poles radius regardless of where in the plots radius the build process was started if a plot pole is required.

The player_build should also be using FNC_GetPos to check height above land or sea.

I will take a look over the weekend for A Plot for Life and look to back port it to standard Epoch 1.0.5.1 if it works well.